Rockin Rod

Upgrading Need Help

Rockin Rod    0

I am looking to upgrade to a new guitar. Been looking at Martin & Taylor. But after picking up a Breedlove D25 SM saturday I am leaning towards that one or perhaps a Breedlove J350 Jumbo...Breedlove has an awsome sound very rich tones...

Would love to hear what your views are on those choices...

Thanks in advance...

Rockin Rod    0

No takers on the Breedlove D25 SR....Anyone here ever owned a Breedlove?

I am looking to upgrade to a new guitar. Been looking at Martin & Taylor. But after picking up a Breedlove D25 SM saturday I am leaning towards that one or perhaps a Breedlove J350 Jumbo...Breedlove has an awsome sound very rich tones...

Would love to hear what your views are on those choices...

Thanks in advance...

karcey    42

G'day Rod, Welcome to the forum.

You probably won't get much argument about brands of guitars on this forum. The members who like them will say positive things but the members who don't usually don't bother to be negative unless it's about a design problem or a warranty issue. Buying a guitar is too personal for any strong opinions.

It's a bit like buying underpants, we want you to be sure that what you buy is what suits you best, and we won't criticise you for it.

Having said that, I've been on this forum for a while now, and I've read positive things about all the brands you mentioned, but I've never heard any of them played so I can't say which one I like best.

Good luck with your search and keep in touch.

Rockin Rod    0

Thanks Karcey, and I fully understand what you mean. My wife tells me the same thing, about it being a personal thing...After 9 months of it I can understand that now. I think this will be harder for me than purchasing a new vehicle, hehehe...:crying2:

I was really looking for perhaps any design or action feedback. Since I'm new, I was definately looking for one with good action, and not so hard on the fret board like some are...

Breedlove does have the deep rich tones I am looking for in a guitar. Really mellow...Also a very nice looking guitar built solid...

I really don't mind the critique at all, but I wouldn't want anyone here to be offended. I would take some back channel advice if offered....

Good point...!

Thanks for the comeback...

G'day Rod, Welcome to the forum.

You probably won't get much argument about brands of guitars on this forum. The members who like them will say positive things but the members who don't usually don't bother to be negative unless it's about a design problem or a warranty issue. Buying a guitar is too personal for any strong opinions.

It's a bit like buying underpants, we want you to be sure that what you buy is what suits you best, and we won't criticise you for it.

Having said that, I've been on this forum for a while now, and I've read positive things about all the brands you mentioned, but I've never heard any of them played so I can't say which one I like best.

Good luck with your search and keep in touch.

action is something that can be changed on most any guitar, fretboard width is not. some like wider boards for fingerpicking or just because it's easier for them to fret chords cleaner. there are so many different features to look at and decide if they are important to you that buying a new guitar can be a challenge if you want it to be, wich could be a good or bad thing depending on the way you look at it. if construction and longevity is important to you then research "and a lot of it" would help you get the search narrowed down a bit. like karcey, i have never played a breedlove, can't vouch for them. there are brands i like but every guitar is different, price is somewhat an indicator "general" of quality. personally, if i wanted a well built guitar i would expect to pay 500 and up. :)

Rockin Rod    0

Yes, that truss allen head all thread that runs thru the fretboard. Never played with that on this guitar I have.

I've alloted up to about $1,500 on one. Just not sure which yet...

Thanks for the comeback!

action is something that can be changed on most any guitar, fretboard width is not. some like wider boards for fingerpicking or just because it's easier for them to fret chords cleaner. there are so many different features to look at and decide if they are important to you that buying a new guitar can be a challenge if you want it to be, wich could be a good or bad thing depending on the way you look at it. if construction and longevity is important to you then research "and a lot of it" would help you get the search narrowed down a bit. like karcey, i have never played a breedlove, can't vouch for them. there are brands i like but every guitar is different, price is somewhat an indicator "general" of quality. personally, if i wanted a well built guitar i would expect to pay 500 and up. :)

Rockin Rod    0

The actual one I was really eyeing is around 900.00 plus it comes with a hardcase. I'm hoping this will be my last for a few years or several...This is why I need to get it right.

One of my cousin's is a music professor at Butler U in Indianapolis. I've been picking his brains about the same things I'm asking here...He plays classical using a Woodfield, made in UK...A bit pricey for me, but for what he does, been doing piano & guitar all his life now teaching, I guess he needed a good one.

Philip Woodfield - Luthier - Maker of fine guitars

well thats a good chunk o change there. may i suggest larrivee if you can get your hands on one...not a lot of hype about them yet, but there will be!:winkthumb:

HIppieDave    0

Not a lot of specific advice anyone can give you. All of the makers you mention and that have been mentioned in response make quality guitars. Once you have picked a bunch of quality instruments that will play well, as you have, it just comes down to what sounds good to you. I have a couple of personal prejudices that I know to stick with -- for me. For example, Rosewood always sounds better to me than any other wood. That is a purely personal thing, but I've noticed that its true for me across the board. No matter what the brand, I will always want to pick up their Rosewood line over maple, koa, mahogany --whatever. No matter how much I may like a particular guitar at first, I just know from experience that over the long haul, and over a wide variety of different music, I am only going to be happy w/ a Rosewood and Spruce combo.

That said, there are a couple of rules of thumb which I have found to be -- generally -- true, and which I would predict would affect whether you're happy with a choice of instrument.

First, the kind of music you like to play should be a major consideration. If you play bluegrass with a group, a big Dread is likely to make you happier than a OOO style. Conversely, if you do a lot of solo fingerpicking (or strumming to ballads for that matter), you may find the tonal balance on a OOO style or Auditorium type better suits you. It depends so much on what you play and what sort of balance the guitar can provide.

Second, if you do vocals, decide whether the instrument augments your total sound. I have a very full, rounded voice, and I know that a big warm bassy sound (like a Martin Dread, for example) doesn't do much to set off the voice or complement it. It actually competes with me. I played a Martin D35 for decades before I picked up my Taylor Grand Concert. I rarely play the Martin anymore. The sharp, precise and yet still tonally beautiful sound of the Taylor is the perfect accompaniment to my vocals, and I'm not the only one who has noted that. On the other hand Consider Emmy Lou Harris (big Guild Jumbo) or Gillian Welch (Martin Dreadnaught) or Willie Nelson (Martin classical) for that matter They all have thin sharp voices which are complemented and set off by the big round sound of the guitars they play.

These are just observations I have made over the years. Others may disagree.

Rockin Rod    0

Now thats some good info Dave...I had a guy down at one of our local music stores tell me the same thing. Depending on what you like may determine what you buy...

I've always been a rocker. I like anything classic rock and even up thru todays rock if it hits me right. I also like some R & B AND CW....I basically learned my chords playing Eagles songs, and Bread, with some John Denver mixed in. Also some Moody Blues

I picked up my brothers Martin DX-1last month when I was out visiting him in California. Loved the tone of that over the more higher tones. I'm aiming for the mid to lower richer sounds...I learned playing a Celestial Nights Esteban. It has a really nice sound, but a bit on the hier side, and the action is hard... Still a good guitar to learn on and it has the 10w amp with it.

Thats some good advice...Appreciated...!

Not a lot of specific advice anyone can give you. All of the makers you mention and that have been mentioned in response make quality guitars. Once you have picked a bunch of quality instruments that will play well, as you have, it just comes down to what sounds good to you. I have a couple of personal prejudices that I know to stick with -- for me. For example, Rosewood always sounds better to me than any other wood. That is a purely personal thing, but I've noticed that its true for me across the board. No matter what the brand, I will always want to pick up their Rosewood line over maple, koa, mahogany --whatever. No matter how much I may like a particular guitar at first, I just know from experience that over the long haul, and over a wide variety of different music, I am only going to be happy w/ a Rosewood and Spruce combo.

That said, there are a couple of rules of thumb which I have found to be -- generally -- true, and which I would predict would affect whether you're happy with a choice of instrument.

First, the kind of music you like to play should be a major consideration. If you play bluegrass with a group, a big Dread is likely to make you happier than a OOO style. Conversely, if you do a lot of solo fingerpicking (or strumming to ballads for that matter), you may find the tonal balance on a OOO style or Auditorium type better suits you. It depends so much on what you play and what sort of balance the guitar can provide.

Second, if you do vocals, decide whether the instrument augments your total sound. I have a very full, rounded voice, and I know that a big warm bassy sound (like a Martin Dread, for example) doesn't do much to set off the voice or complement it. It actually competes with me. I played a Martin D35 for decades before I picked up my Taylor Grand Concert. I rarely play the Martin anymore. The sharp, precise and yet still tonally beautiful sound of the Taylor is the perfect accompaniment to my vocals, and I'm not the only one who has noted that. On the other hand Consider Emmy Lou Harris (big Guild Jumbo) or Gillian Welch (Martin Dreadnaught) or Willie Nelson (Martin classical) for that matter They all have thin sharp voices which are complemented and set off by the big round sound of the guitars they play.

scotty_b    16

I think your comments have a lot of merit.

Perhaps take a guitar-playing friend with you and have a listen from in front of the instrument as well, so you can get another persepctive on it.

HIppieDave    0

"I'm aiming for the mid to lower richer sounds..."

Sounds like a Martin D28 is in your future! Although check out some of the Taylor Auditorium models as well. They have a nice rich tone.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that I am a big fan of used guitars. If you work with a good guitar shop (not one of the big chains) or have someone knowledgeable that can help you check them out, you can get a heck of a lot more guitar for the same money. A few nicks here and there doesn't do anything to the sound.

Good hunting!

Rockin Rod    0

Yes, I have considered maybe a used. Probably seasoned better I would imagine, & sounds better.

I noticed an add on this site for Zeaglers Music...We have one here in Baton Rouge...They have some used and new Martin's, Taylors & Breedloves in there. I'm in no hurry. I will take my time and do this on a weekend or two...

"I'm aiming for the mid to lower richer sounds..."

Sounds like a Martin D28 is in your future! Although check out some of the Taylor Auditorium models as well. They have a nice rich tone.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that I am a big fan of used guitars. If you work with a good guitar shop (not one of the big chains) or have someone knowledgeable that can help you check them out, you can get a heck of a lot more guitar for the same money. A few nicks here and there doesn't do anything to the sound.

Good hunting!