joshimax

Amp Hum, weird...

joshimax    0

Hey Guys,

Long time! But I'm back to forum posting :yeahhh: and need you're collective experience!!

My Little 15w Orange Crush amp has recently started to hum unless I'm facing directly towards it. If it's behind me, or to my left or right there's an audible hum but if i face it, it's quiet as a mouse which is weird right? Wouldn't you normally face your amp if you're after a bit of feedback etc?

So I've tried two other cables, no change there. If I turn the amp volume up and the guitar volume down it's silent, which would indicate the noise is coming from the guitar.

I took my weekly guitar lesson and tried to re-create the humming but couldn't, facing left, right, front and back it was silent, which would indicate the noise is NOT coming from the guitar.

Emailed the guys at Orange who've been helpful but said it's probably not the amp because it's silent when the volume is down.

Weird huh? I can't alway's practice facing my amp... any ideas people?

fly135    5

Could be electrical noise in that location is being picked up by your guitar. You change your location or orientation and the hum stops.

Dewy    0

What is around where you normally play the amp? Ceiling fans, TV's Computer Monitors, microwave ovens and a ton of other items in a normal household spew electromagnetic interference.

You could be facing a source of that in every direction but facing your amp.

joshimax    0

right. I did recently move guitar and amp into a smaller room, which is closer to the neighbours (semi detached house so we do share a wall). I've no idea what they have on the other side of that wall... I'll move it again tonight, maybe I just need to stick to the one room.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

joshimax    0

Forgot about posting this here! Yep, it was totally the location. I moved it all to another room in the house that doesn't have a shared wall with our neighbours and it's quiet as a mouse... well.. it's loud because that's how i like to play but there's no more hum!

I should ask next door what they've got in that room, i think it's a tv etc.