wilsonkimberly

Guitar learning programs

I have the Learn and Master program by Steve Kranz. I love the set up, but I am not interested in learn to read music just yet and that is a big focus of the program. I'm in lesson 3 and I can't go further because of the music reading thing. Any suggestions for a program. I really want to learn, but don't know where to go from here. :helpsmili

Many people have asked me this question and I don't know how to answer it. I want to learn how to play. I want to be able to look up tab for songs I like and learn to play them. Learning the guitar has been a desire of mine for a long time. Now that I'm finished with school, I'm hoping to be able to make it a life long hobby.

scotty_b    16

I think having a direction helps. It can always change or expand later, but if you have some idea of where you want to head it really helps with obtaining lesson material, as there is soooo much available!

micky mac    14

i had the same problem with learn and master for me i mostly use guitar pro its great for learning any song you want to play you can slow it down to the speed you are comfortable with.But its not exactly learning the guitar

allthumbs    8

The lessons here are a good alternative. They take you from beginner to more complex songs. There is a ton of theory here too and people to ask if you get stuck on anything. Give it a try.

MikeMedex    0

When i started playing i learned a few chords from a book then wentbto utube for video lessons on the songs i like but its not advised as a great way to play. I have the learn and master set but like with you i dont want to lwarn to read music. I like the lessons here and the community seem really nice

mset3    158

Wilsonkimberly,

When i first learned how to play, I didn't want to be bothered with theory or reading music. I just wanted to learn songs. I later found out you will get to a point where you will hit a peak and find you're stuck in a rut. No matter what I did, my playing wasn't getting any better. Sure I could play the songs I wanted to learn, but I was literally stuck and couldn't get beyond a certain point. I started learning theory and it opened up a whole new approach to playing. Chord construction was an eye opening experience along with chord progressions, When you learn why and how these work you won't have to depend on tab.

It's okay to learn your favorite songs, but also take advantage of learning the theory behind those songs. There are great guitar players who learned by ear, but they are the exception to the rule. This site has a wealth of information on it that will take your playing to the next level. You won't regret it.

Mike

• Like 2