Tekker

Amazing Guitar/Bass Amp Simulator

Hi all,

I just got done with a short instrumental tune using a new guitar/bass amp simulator called Vandal Amp that came with the latest update to my recording program (Samplitude). I've been hearing tunes recorded with it that were posted by one of its beta testers and it sounded awesome, but he was a "guitar god" and could probably make literally anything sound good... but luckily, it still sounds good even in my hands. :D Finally, someone has done the impossible and made a guitar plugin that actually sounds really, really good for rock/distorted tones. :clap: :clap: :clap:

At the moment it's only available in Samplitude, but they are going to be releasing it as a separate VST plugin and the developer (the same guy who made the free Digital Fish Phones plugins) said he would like to keep the price cheaper than competing products (like Amplitubue)! They haven't announced an official release date for it yet, but hopefully it'll be soon.

The VST release date will be posted on the Vandal blog site here:

Vandal Amps

I've been experimenting with it for a while, but this is the first composition with drums/bass/guitar that I've done with it and I am just blown away that this all came from a computer plugin. Even the real guitar amps I've recorded never sounded this good.

So without further delay, here's the tune I made with it:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/zPosts/Rock%20Instrumental.mp3

For the guitars and bass, I plugged straight into my M-Audio Profire 2626. Most of the effects I used are either part of Vandal Amp or are freebie VST effects. The only other commercial effect I used was the final compressor on the overall mix, which also came with Samplitude. The drums are a free VST instrument called Yellow Tools Independence FREE.

I think that's about it, and I'll be sure to post back when I hear of the release date for the Vandal VST.

-tkr

Hey AT, thanks for checking it out!

Yeah, I'm really excited about this plugin. I put this tune on a CD and listened to it in my car on my way up to the college and the guitar/bass sound was H-U-G-E! ! ! After years of not having a nice amp and being dissatisfied with all the horrible distorted tones of amp sim plugins and my digitech effects pedal, I'm like a kid in a candy store! :D

The only thing in the mix that bugged me was the snare drum, which didn't sound great in my studio monitors, but for some reason really stood out in my car system and sounded 10x louder than everything else and also really piiiingy so I fixed it and re-uploaded it again (using the same link as before) with a less annoying snare sound. :)

-tkr

sounds pretty awesome tkr.

I wonder if you've used guitar rig much and how you would rate it in comparison. I've only played a bit with the demo copy but was pretty impressed.

Thanks Eddie and kidhaiti. :)

kidhaiti,

Yes, I've used the Guitar Rig (and Amplitube) demo. The clean sounds are pretty good in both but neither one are even remotely close to the same league as Vandal in terms of the high gain distortion tones, which is what was seriously lacking in ALL of the other amp sims I've tried. In addition, the bass amp sim is awesome as well and sounds just as good as the guitar.

Also, a date and price have been announced on the Vandal blog site:

Release Date: March 24

Box Set Price: $200 US

That's a little more than I was hoping for. But a download version is also planned, so hopefully that will be cheaper. Either way, it's still definitely worth it. :)

It also comes with a light version of Samplitude called Samplitude Silver, which I've never heard of so it looks like they are making a special version to sell with Vandal or something. :dunno:

-tkr

What a great sound Tekker. Great playing too. I'm glad to see you're always on the lookout for new toys, and it saves us all looking. :claping:

Thanks Carol.

Yeah, I'm on a few different recording message boards (gearslutz, homerecording, the Samplitude support forum, etc) so I try to keep up with the newest and latest toys... Vandal actually came to me though as it was added to the recording program that I already use. :D

But in a little over a week, it'll be available to non-Samplitude users as well. I'm excited too, because a lot more "pedal" effects are going to be added at the same time as the VST release!!! :clap:

-tkr

That stutter near the beginning is OFF THE HOOK!! :punk: Did you get that through the sim also?

No, the stutter effect wasn't part of the amp sim, that was my doing. I split the audio track up and moved/deleted some clips to get the stuttering effect. I also used panning automation (the blue line in the image below) so that it moves to different speakers.

Here is a screen shot of the stuttering part:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/tekker/zPosts/Recording/Rock%20Instrumental_Stutter%20Effect.jpg

So you don't need any special effects to do that stuttering effect.

-tkr

Also, I see that I never posted the website for Vandal here... I posted it in a different thread, but not in this one. :( Vandal VST is out now and there's a 7 day demo you can try out too.

MAGIX Vandal

-tkr