nickcallear

Removing Middle Pickup

nickcallear    5

Hay guys

Is it possible to remove the middle pickup out of my guitar as it is a H/S/H setup.I only use the neck a the bridge pups and ive never used the middle. And also whould i have to change the selector switch to a 3way switch or will th 5way still work.

Im just in a perdicament at the minute as when im on a bit of a metal mission my pick tends to snag on the middle pup poles. This chould be down to me because i can get a bit heavy handed at time.

bugly    0

sure its possible - does your guitar have a pickguard if so buy a blacnk to cover the hole. Of course you will need to rewire the switch, perhaps to a circuit that will split the humbuckers in positions 2 and 4 otherwise you will not get any sound in those positions or as you say go to a 3 way.

Another alternative is to adjust the height so it is flush with the body, or place a blank in its place.

nickcallear    5
sure its possible - does your guitar have a pickguard if so buy a blacnk to cover the hole. Of course you will need to rewire the switch, perhaps to a circuit that will split the humbuckers in positions 2 and 4 otherwise you will not get any sound in those positions or as you say go to a 3 way.

Another alternative is to adjust the height so it is flush with the body, or place a blank in its place.

Hay

No there no pickguard and ive tryed to lower the pup into the body but it only went down about 5mm or so and its wont fit flush the body.

frizzybill    0

paul simons strat only has the middle pickup in it. You should get some advice from someone who is handy with a soldering iron but it can definitely be done. Paul Simons strat actually looks pretty cool. Google it and see!!

karcey    42

My guess would be to just take it out. The two wires from the pup can be snipped off, likely as not both will be soldered onto the 5 way switch. Snip them close to the switch but leave just a little bit so it's obvious where they came from. Helps when you want to put the pup back in.

Leave the switch in place ... you know all the positions anyway so why change?

The hole that's left behind can be filled over with something flush, but not permanently so the guitar can be restored later.