shonie777

Xaviere XV-870 Darkside Edition

I just got the Xaviere XV-870 Darkside Edition. It looks nice when ya first look at it. Upon closer inspection, there was a small nick (scratch) in the body finish, the pick ups looked cheap as well as the tone and volume knobs. The string trees are cheap too.

The tremolo I'm a little iffy about. It looks ok except for the hole where the tremolo bar goes looks ugly. I think it may just be a manufacturing flaw, but it looks ugly. It has a big steel block (maybe pot metal?).

I plugged it in my amp and gave it play. Sounded really crummy. So I did a complete setup on it and tossed on a new set of strings. It still sounded crummy. Sounded no where near an American, MIM, or Squire Strat.

The GFS Vintage Alnico Staggers that are in there are horrible. No ifs ands or butts about it. This surprised me because I just put in some GFS PAT Zerbra Humbuckers in one of my LPs and they were great. I was very disappointed with these Vintage Alnico Staggers.

The guitar did however feel good in weight and balance. The neck was pretty nice. Well finished and flowed well during play.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep it and upgrade the heck out of it. For fun last night, I dropped in some old MIM Fender pick ups and sanded off the Xaviere logo. It's ugly too. I plugged it back in my amp it made a world of difference. Maybe it improved after I sanded off the Xaviere logo?:dunno: *kidding*

I'll post more as I do the upgrades. I believe this guitar has the means to be a pretty darn good guitar with some work. Not a bad guitar and case for a little over $200.00

Shonie

Hmm. Luck of the draw maybe. The LP clone my friend bought from them sounded really good and played well. Can't remember what he had on it. Been a few years.

I saw those LPs they have, they look sweet. I went through my LP mode a while ago. Got the Strat bug now.

shonie

I was an LP and SG guy for a long time but lately I've been using strats and super strats.

I'm a strat guy. :)

As to the cheap guitars, something has to be cheap. ;)

Well the LPs and SGs just have that "sound". I've never came across another guitar style that has that "LP sound". I don't have a SG style guitar...yet. LOL

I have eye-balled a few SGs, but then the Strat bug got me.

I have a Black Gibson Studio and a Raven West LP. I loved the way they look, sound and play, but I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan and I could never get that David Gilmore sound from my LPs. Especially the sound on Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I bought a Standard American Fender Strat and that solved everything.

Well, just about everything...

I've been eye-balling that David Gilmore pick up set, but at nearly $500...jeez!:unsure:

So, lately I've been building and modifying Strats and Strat-style guitars. This bug has gotten to me really bad. I'm pretty darn good at putting things together and making things look cool. As well as making guitars perform very well (so I've been told).

About 2 1/2 years ago, I started out with a simple Takamine 6 string guitar because I have always wanted to learn guitar. To this date, it has simply grown into an almost out of control addiction. I have acquired many guitars, tools, amps, pedals, and many other nick-knacks in this short time period.

Some call me "spoiled", but my wife says I'm doing something good. Not too get too personal about myself, but I had a really bad addition:drinking: that caused a lot of problems in my life and within my family for many years. For the past 7 years I have been working my way back to a somewhat “normal” life. They say people that quit an addiction usually replace it with another.

Simply put, I love guitars. I love playing guitar. I love the way they look. I love they way they feel. I love the way they sound. I love fixing them. I love making them better. But most of all, I love the way they make me feel inside. I sure wish I had picked up a guitar sooner than I did. Maybe everything would have worked out differently.:dunno:

Shonie

Well the LPs and SGs just have that "sound". I've never came across another guitar style that has that "LP sound". I don't have a SG style guitar...yet. LOL

I have eye-balled a few SGs, but then the Strat bug got me.

I have a Black Gibson Studio and a Raven West LP. I loved the way they look, sound and play, but I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan and I could never get that David Gilmore sound from my LPs. Especially the sound on Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I bought a Standard American Fender Strat and that solved everything.

Well, just about everything...

I've been eye-balling that David Gilmore pick up set, but at nearly $500...jeez!:unsure:

So, lately I've been building and modifying Strats and Strat-style guitars. This bug has gotten to me really bad. I'm pretty darn good at putting things together and making things look cool. As well as making guitars perform very well (so I've been told).

About 2 1/2 years ago, I started out with a simple Takamine 6 string guitar because I have always wanted to learn guitar. To this date, it has simply grown into an almost out of control addiction. I have acquired many guitars, tools, amps, pedals, and many other nick-knacks in this short time period.

Some call me "spoiled", but my wife says I'm doing something good. Not too get too personal about myself, but I had a really bad addition:drinking: that caused a lot of problems in my life and within my family for many years. For the past 7 years I have been working my way back to a somewhat “normal” life. They say people that quit an addiction usually replace it with another.

Simply put, I love guitars. I love playing guitar. I love the way they look. I love they way they feel. I love the way they sound. I love fixing them. I love making them better. But most of all, I love the way they make me feel inside. I sure wish I had picked up a guitar sooner than I did. Maybe everything would have worked out differently.:dunno:

Shonie

You're not alone mate. I love guitars myself and now I can't play much because of an old shoulder injury flaring up and feels like arthritis.

I'm being more of a guitar tech nowadays and I'm buying/trading guitars to mess with. I got an epi tele back from a friend who I sold to ten years ago and now got a jackson dinky in a trade for an amp.

I quit drinking 12 years ago. Trust me mate, you can't do any better than that. It was worth it. :)

I quit smoking for 3 years and I thought, "I can't give up all my vices can't I?" I like to smoke.

Shonie,

What's the warranty on it? GFS is usually good about making sure the customer is happy. If it sounds bad, then I'd call or e-mail them and tell them it sounds bad. If the quality of the build is bad, (too large of a hole for the tremolo bar, and looks really bad) tell them you are not happy. Perhaps they'll issue a recall and send you a better one.

Give it a shot before you star taking it apart & replacing pups and stuff.

Shonie,

What's the warranty on it? GFS is usually good about making sure the customer is happy. If it sounds bad, then I'd call or e-mail them and tell them it sounds bad. If the quality of the build is bad, (too large of a hole for the tremolo bar, and looks really bad) tell them you are not happy. Perhaps they'll issue a recall and send you a better one.

Give it a shot before you star taking it apart & replacing pups and stuff.

It a bit too late to do that, it's in pieces now. Already started working on it. It's gonna be awesome when it's done. I think I got my moneys worth. Can't really beat it for the price. You can't even get a decent new squire for this price. Nice body, nice neck, that's about all I need.

Shonie

Finished! Looks and Sounds way way better!

69' Fender Custom Shop Pick Ups

Fender Pick Guard and back plate

Fender Knobs

New 250k brass shaft pots

New 5 way switch

Shield inside

New Brass Tremolo Block

Fender Strap buttons

Navatone Head Stock Logo

Custom Neck Plate

New String Trees

Dress Fret Ends

I think that's it.

Check out the pics.

Shonie

Shonie the headstock is easily trimmed to a telecaster look - I bought one of the cheap satin necks for a tele project and did just that. It looks so good that the other Xaviere 650 is going to get the same treatment.