redwolf813

Finish question

redwolf813    0

For most of my guitar playing life I have played acoustic guitars in one form or another. BUT I had this American Standard Strat hanging around. It's a long story but the cliff notes go something like " I was working for a band as the equipment/guitar guy and thought it'd be cool to try electric. Even tho I'd given it a try when I first started playing and thought I sucked at it." So a year or so ago I started leaving it on a stand by my desk and playing it almost daily. Two problems solved I was playing every day and had found a use for the Strat. BUT, it had some problems. I had a setup done at GC but it still wasn't right. No matter how much I played with it I couldn't get it to hold tune for very long ( I should add that I've got extra springs in the trem cavity and the whammy bar in the case so it's a mock hardtail ) Last week I removed the stock Fenders and installed a set of Sperzel locking tuners and ( picture the heavens parting ) WHAT A DIFFERENCE !! I removed the string tree that held the D and G down on the headstock as they say it's no longer needed with the staggered height tuners, and that's true. Next string change I might try it without the other string tree as well. The problem is this axe is nice, ash body, maple neck and fretboard, a new tortoise scratchplate and trem cover, just a nice organic natural wood look and it sounds good too. BUT the removal of the little chrome trees leaves a hole and an indentation on the headstock and I'm too fussy for that. What's a good matching, and that's the keyword, matching filler to use that won't show and mess up the headstock? And will Sperzels work just as well without BOTH string trees? Any advice from the handy ( You know who you are ) will be appreciated. :helpsmili

Andy S    9

Hi Redwolf,

I have a 40th yr anniversary American Std model that I put sperzels on. I kept the string trees on even though I was told they weren't needed. Figured, no holes to show.

You may want to contact stew-mac.com and ask them about filler and color. They have a place on their site that you can ask questions. They've been good about answering my questions the last few years, so I would think they could give you some good advice.

As well, I'm sure they will lead you to a page or so in their catalog for whatever product might be needed. But at least you would get some good info.

Hope that helps.

nicksdad12    0

Take a look at Frank Fords site: frets.com. Hours of fun reading that. These little touchups can be maddening, so putting the screws back in might be a pretty good idea!:brickwall:

RockaBilly    0

I thought it was a good idea because when I put in Steinberger tuners on my guitar I have six holes to deal with. I asked around and got suggestions like fingernail polish and mixing sawdust with glue, etc.

Since I have painted headstock (red) nothing's gonna match the color. I have black hardware so I put in black screws.

redwolf813    0

I was at the Lowes the other day and they had a Bordens wood filler in a tube that's called golden Oak or some such marketing nonsense, but it looks like it might just do the trick. I decided (based on comments) to leave the other tree in place. I'll post before and after pix of the project. Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. ;)