mgdpublic

Is planetalk about repeatable arpeggio patterns?

mgdpublic    0

I'm going back and forth about buying this book and am trying to figure out if I know the ideas in it. As far as I can tell, it's about a pattern dealing with chord tones. I have a book that shows repeating patterns in arpeggios that go diagonally across the neck. For instance, the repeatable 1-3-5 triangle that repeats. And then there are the trapezoid patterns created by the first and second inversions. Is that what this book is about? It's alot of money to spend on something I already know which is why I'm asking. Also, has anyone read Fretboard Logic and then been equally wowed at this method? Thanks for your insights and comments.

Kirk Lorange    128

Hi, mgdpublic ... I was hoping someone else would respond rather than me, the author. I have never read FL, so I can't comment on that one, but we're all trying to do the same thing, namely de-mystify the fretboard. I can't really explain what it's about here because it's such a simple mindset, but it's not directly any of the things you mentioned.

Many PlaneTalkers have read FL and tell me that (and I quote) "FL is like brain surgery compared to PT", so ... there you go. My aim, when playing and improvising, is to think about the least possible, to look down and see the most uncluttered fretboard I can, but also see something that will point to everything else quickly and easily.

There is certainly nothing about the basic landmark that you wouldn't know already, but perhaps what you then do with that knowledge is something you hadn't thought of.

I hope this helps, sorry to be so cryptic!

Andy S    9

Fretboard logic I & II (in one book) is about the CAGED system. That author goes through the basic chord forms (C-A-G-E and D) and how they can move up & down the neck. Added to that are sets of lead patterns related to each form. Scale patterns related to each form. It can get a bit complex, but it's a good start. I bought that book a long while ago and thought it was good. I knew some of the stuff but didn't realize the names.

I purchased Kirk's book about two or three years ago. (time flies when you're having fun!) I can say that it has a method of seeing the fretboard quite easily. Extremely easy to understand and when one puts in the practice time (reading about the stuff is good, practicing it and having your hands learn it is something else) your skill level can jump considerably in a short time. You will understand more of what you are doing. You will start to recognize more music that you hear.

I would say it would be one of the best investments in learning guitar that you could ever make.

Just my opinion. I extremely pleased with how I've improved and how it has helped my playing.