raywise

AWHOLE LOT of midi questions

raywise    0

Hello Fello Pickers,

I havent been here in a while due to the fact that Ive been a bad boy and the Georgia judicial system dont take kindly to bad boys. But, I am back and have been wondering about midi. I have got a keyboard "el cheapo" radio shack md-1160. it has midi written on it so my main question is this. in my cubase le4 there are an assortment of instrument sounds but have to be used via some midi device. is this md-1160 that type of device and how does it work. you have to take into consideration that I am old and not very technologically advanced. so any kind of simple explanation would be highly appreciated:brickwall:

Daktari    0

Hi there,

Well Ray, I too am not too hot at the techy stuff but I do live in Georgia also, that might help....

Here's my take on it. Midi stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It was basically designed so that digital instruments could share and talk to each other. In your keyboard there will be a library of sounds which are controlled by the keyboard and maybe some kind of mod wheel or lever. I think that by connecting your computer software to the keyboard via midi cables, you should be able to use your keyboard to control the off-board sounds also. I think the midi connections are usually labelled IN, OUT and THROUGH.

It sounds simple but there is usually a lot of assigning here and there to do so they can match up and understand each other. It should be explained in the manual for the keyboard and there should also be instructions from the Cubase software. Thousands of folks make it work so I know it's possible.

Good luck, Gordon.

raywise    0

thanks Daktari, Im startin ta catch on to the assigning this to that. I gotta tell ya this home recording is really cool and I have learned alot bot have OOOOOhhhhh so much more to learn. been playin for years but never took the time to learn new things as they came out,now Im tryin ta catch up, Im over roud White Ga. seen your label said Rocky Face, Hell, We practically neighbors. Anyway that was a big help and thanks again!!!

starsailor    20

Hi Raywise, Welcome back to the forum, I'm not sure if you bought the MD1160 new or second hand but if you bought it used and don't have the Manual I've found a PDF Ebook of the Manual online, if you want it I can send it over. Hope you're well.

All The Best

Chris

Tekker    1

Hey raywise,

Yes, your MIDI keyboard will work with Cubase. MIDI is just a protocol for sending/receiving data, so anything that has MIDI can work with anything else that also uses MIDI.

You will need to hook the md-1160 up to the computer and the easiest way to do this is via USB. There are MIDI to USB converters that should do the trick.

M-Audio MIDISport UNO ($40)

I haven't used a MIDI to USB converter, but I imagine it would work similar to my MIDI keyboard which has a USB port built into it and it is very easy to use:

1) Plug in the keyboard and turn it on.

2) Open the recording software.

3) Choose a track to record onto and select the keyboard from the MIDI input list (the keyboard is automatically detected).

4) Add a MIDI instrument (VSTi) to the track.

5) Activate input monitoring to hear the keyboard through the track (and MIDI instrument).

6) Play. :)

To record the keyboad, you just have to arm the track for recording and then press record.

I imagine it would be a similar process with the MIDI to USB converter. There may also be a setting on the keyboard to tell it to use the MIDI output (instead of the on board sounds)... So you'll have to check the keyboard manual on that too.

And if you're ever in the market for a new keyboard, mine is strictly a MIDI keyboard (no on board sounds at all) and it's full sized 88 keys, semi-weighted, and best of all it's cheap ($200).

M-Audio Keystation 88es

Hope that helps. :)

-tkr

raywise    0

thanks starsailor and trekker, its good to be back. I did get the keyboard and did not get a manual so the manual would be wonderfull to have. I will check into a midi only keyboard after ive got the basics at least, just dont wanna spend too much til im sure I can figure it out. but the tips will get me started. Thanks again guys and Ill let ya know how things come out

starsailor    20
thanks starsailor and trekker, its good to be back. I did get the keyboard and did not get a manual so the manual would be wonderfull to have. I will check into a midi only keyboard after ive got the basics at least, just dont wanna spend too much til im sure I can figure it out. but the tips will get me started. Thanks again guys and Ill let ya know how things come out

Sorry I'm a bit slow getting back to you Raywise, here's the Manual I mentioned, just found it online in a search it's written like all manuals so goes on a bit but with Tekkers advice too you should be up and running in no time, the link should work ok, it's a PDF File of the original Manual, hope you're having a good day and good to have you back here.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_games/doc69/69691.pdf

All the best

Chris