boroboy41

Is it worth changing pickups?

boroboy41    1

My old guitar is a real cheapo special that I got as part of a starter pack. Now that I've got myself decent axe I want to try improve my old guitar.

I was thinking about swapping the pickups out and was looking for a bit of guidance. Currently it has 2 Korean humbuckers, they must be the same type because there is no difference to my ear between the neck and bridge PUPs. They seem to be a bit loose in the housing as you can easily rock them with a light touch. I was thinking about installing either EMG60(n)/EMG81(B) or EMG81(n)/EMG85(B).

I play an awful lot of metal and these seem to be popular combinations. The question is...is it worth putting £200 pickups in a £100 guitar chassis???

FYI - the guitar in question has a superstrat style solid basswood body (with maple top???), bolt on maple neck with rosewood fingerboard.

Thanks

Ali

bugly    0

1) the pick ups are loose as they are always held by 2 screws and in the case of strat pickguards 2 springs so the pups can rock especially if the spring is incorrectly orientated :).

if you are happy with the body and neck sure why not - you can always move the pickups to another body at a later date. Not familiar with EMGs so no comment.

Dewy    0

Is it worth it? Sure... as long as you do not damage the pickups you gain valuable experience and still have the pickups to install later with more of an Idea about how to do it.

Will the guitar ever be more than a starter guitar? No... it will always be an inferior instrument, even with superior hardware. You can improve it to the point that it is a perfectly serviceable instrument, but it will take more time and parts than it is worth.

wjp01908    0

I`d agree with the comments already up on this with probably the one proviso - perhaps not £200 pups (unless you really think you`ll be able to use them for something else)

There are a few budget options that wil give good results without such an outlay - Kent Armstrong do good budget pups as do Iron Gear. Prolly get a pair for less than 80 quid (try axetech as you are in the UK) and spend the rest on some further upgrades (an upgraded trem from the same site would be a suggestion if you have an el cheapo one fitted to your guitar. Tuners too if you are feeling flush.

Well worth improving an old axe - you`ll need a spare if you ever play live - no audience is going to want to sit around and watch you change a busted string.

Will

nicksdad12    0

The EMG pickups you mention are active and need a battery. Does your cheapo have a battery compartment, or room to fit one?

I think modern cheap guitars can be really well made and a good basis for improvements ... pickups and hardware. As long as the neck is to your liking it's worth doing. I just upgraded a Schecter Omen 6 and it's now a great guitar (fret level and new pickups). Basswood can have a good tone, and modern cheap necks can be good, (or not.)

RockaBilly    0

EMG 81-60 is a sweet combo. I had such a pair in my LP copy. It does involve changing pots, locating the 9V battery and replacing the output jack to the stereo jack. The EMG set should provide all that.

As to the pups that tilts easily, those are weak springs and putting in stiffer springs will fix that.

If you really like your budget guitar and want to upgrade it I'd say go for it. Later you can pull it for a better guitar.

I have a set of Seymour Duncan Blackouts in my Carvin DC127 and they're like EMG but I don't know if they sound the same. Long time since I had those EMGs.

I had a pair of Dimarzio D'Activators in my other guitar that supposed to sound like EMG 81s but I don't think they really did. They're nice own their own though.

fly135    5

You should hear a difference between the neck and the bridge even if the pups are the same. The bridge pup should be brighter because the lower frequencies are dampened by the proximity to the bridge. If you don't hear any difference then there is something odd about your guitar. I wouldn't plow money into pups until you figure out what's going on.

shonie777    3

If you want to change your pick ups out and not spend a ton of money. May I suggest Guitar Fetish.

Pretty decent pick ups for the money without breaking the bank. I got a set of PAT Zerbra Humbuckers from for a good price and they sound really nice.

On a side note: I got the Xaviere XV-870 from them and I wasn't very satisfied with it. Nice body and neck, but the GFS Vintage Staggers were horrible. The hardware was pretty crummy looking too. FYI

Shonie