nagukush

Realtek Ac97 Audio ????

Hi All

The recording I've attached is the one I've recorded via my SHURE SM97. No even when I'm using a good mic, my recording results are awfull:helpsmili .

I'm using my on-board Sound-Card which says "Realtek Ac97 Audio" in the Device (in my software) is Realtek Ac97 Audio a good enough Sound Device. Is Sound card my problem ???

Please advice I'm very confused and I dont know what to do next.

Warmest Regds and Care

Kush

22222.mp3

Dear Friends

Kindly note that the pre-ampMixer I'm using now is this one :

http://ahujaradios.com/product1234.asp?cat=MMX-50

As the US products are very costly when shipped to India (the shipping costs more than the product) and some companies are not allowing to ship their products to India, I have to depend on this Indian Company (Its the only renowned one here in India too !!!) I know I'm bothering very much, please dont get irritated with me. Please suggest which of the following 5-6 Mixer Consoles is needed. I really dont understand these technical explanations. Please suggest me :

http://ahujaradios.com/products1.asp?cat=Mix

Kind Regards

Kush

I think Realtek AC97 just refers to a chipset standard Kush, probably your motherboard has a built in sound card which uses that chipset. It's obviously not going to give you the same results you might get from a dedicated sound card but it should be reasonable. I thought the recording quality was pretty okay but marred by background noise. That mic is probably just picking up some extraneous sound. Now you just need to build a sound studio to put the mic in .... :unsure::rolleyes:

Great playing BTW. You're really getting that fingerstyle stuff down pat. Very nice!:thumbup1:

I think Realtek AC97 just refers to a chipset standard Kush, probably your motherboard has a built in sound card which uses that chipset. It's obviously not going to give you the same results you might get from a dedicated sound card but it should be reasonable. I thought the recording quality was pretty okay but marred by background noise. That mic is probably just picking up some extraneous sound. Now you just need to build a sound studio to put the mic in .... :unsure::rolleyes:

Great playing BTW. You're really getting that fingerstyle stuff down pat. Very nice!:thumbup1:

Hey Buddy !!!

Thank you so much for your kind words Pal !!! I'm sure there were no background noises, :unsure: , Sorry for asking again Please , can you please suggest which of the following 5-6 Mixer Consoles is good. I really dont understand these technical explanations. Please suggest me :

http://ahujaradios.com/products1.asp?cat=Mix

Sorry if I'm bothering

Regards

Kush

hi kush

realtek ac97 is the codec used with ur built in sound card, thats the codec most motherboards use, dont know which motherboard u have but the newer motherboards come with a pretty good built in sound card, mine has 5.1 surround sound, its not quite as good as creatives but its pretty good

chuck

hi kush

realtek ac97 is the codec used with ur built in sound card, thats the codec most motherboards use, dont know which motherboard u have but the newer motherboards come with a pretty good built in sound card, mine has 5.1 surround sound, its not quite as good as creatives but its pretty good

chuck

Hi Chuck:)

My motherborad is a one, mediocre in quality, but I guess its not too old medeled. Its an Asrock board (bought about 3-4 months back), but personally I'm not convinced that it was a good decision though :unsure: . It has a 7.1 Channel Card (on-board) and I use 5.1 Speaker system too. Should I migrate to a Creative card ????

Regds

Kush

hi kush

asrock is made by asus, mine is an asus board, they make the best boards on the market, imho, that should be a pretty good sound card, i wouldnt spend the money for a creative card, at least not yet, give the one u got a good try first, im using the onboard sound card on mine and it works fine, u wont gain that much changing to creative they are pretty expensive, the onboard sound card u have is prob better than the cheaper creative

chuck

hi kush

asrock is made by asus, mine is an asus board, they make the best boards on the market, imho, that should be a pretty good sound card, i wouldnt spend the money for a creative card, at least not yet, give the one u got a good try first, im using the onboard sound card on mine and it works fine, u wont gain that much changing to creative they are pretty expensive, the onboard sound card u have is prob better than the cheaper creative

chuck

Hey Chuck !!! :)

Thank you so much for caring, Pal. I guess you're rite :unsure: . I'll experiment with this one for sometime, before upgrading to another. Thank you so much for this spending time to help me out, You're really caring :)

Thanks and Lots of Regards

Kush

P.s : Pal, Can you give me some Idea to reduce the Disturbances ( Distortion ) which I'm experiencing in my recordings ??? Is Gold-Wave a good software ????

Kush,

Nicely done. Your picking is coming along very well.

The noise.....

Sounds like your mic is too close to your computer. The 57 is a sensitive mic and will pick up a lot more ambient noise than what you were previously used to. It will pick up things you can't image. Try this, just plug in the mic like you were going to record a song but just record a minute or two of the "background noise" in your recording room. You'll be amazed at what gets picked up. Use this as baseline for your noise filter in your recording software.

In your recording, is sounds like the mic is too far away from the guitar. Place your mic within 6 inches (15Cm) of the guitar. Point your mic to the 12th fret angled from the head stock. This will give you a nice clean Mid Range sound from your guitar.

Headstock ...............Angle of Mic

.................................M...... /

-----------------------------------------

| o o o | .......................|

| o o o | .......................|

-----------------------------------------

If you have the options on your mixer/console, adjust your HI/Mid/LO for a bit more HI frequency.

Les

Dear Les,

Kindly tell me about the Noise-Filter in a Software. Is there an option of that in Audacity ??? How does it work ?

Kindly help me Pal.:)

Regds

Kush

In a recording there are usually a few seconds of dead air or "white space" before you record. It's a good idea to leave yourself 3 - 5 seconds before you record as well as after you record..

In Audacity there is a Noise Reduction or Removal (NR) tool available. After you make your recording, you can activate the "noise removal" option. The NR option will allow you to sample the offensive noise. Once the sample has been taken, you can high-lite the entire track, engage the NR. Based on the frequencies int the sample, the NR tool will remove it from the entire track. The NR is intelligent enough to only pull the freq's from the sample.

Les

Hi Les

Thankyou so much for Caring ! :) I'll check it out now. Thanks again :)

Lots of Regards

Kush

wow - just listened to your dust in the wind track :clap:

Will cost me years to come near it :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

Thanks for the Encouragement, Pal :) You all encourage me so much :) , I wish, I'll become a good player in future, and I believe, I will.. If have all of you with me :yes: :yes: :yes:

Thanks a Lot for all the Care

Kush

I had to adjust my volume all the way up to hear the song (nice playing). Perhaps you didn't set your mic record level high enough. WRT mixers, I bought a Behringer UB1002FX off eBay for $60. I believe for another $20 you can get it new (in the US). Or $60 new without the FX. Two low level mic inputs and four stereo line levels, plus another straight line level in/out. It is very quite (no noise). I love it.

I've had good luck jacking mic/guitar straight into my computer's built in sound chip.

I had to adjust my volume all the way up to hear the song (nice playing). Perhaps you didn't set your mic record level high enough. WRT mixers, I bought a Behringer UB1002FX off eBay for $60. I believe for another $20 you can get it new (in the US). Or $60 new without the FX. Two low level mic inputs and four stereo line levels, plus another straight line level in/out. It is very quite (no noise). I love it.

I've had good luck jacking mic/guitar straight into my computer's built in sound chip.

Hey Pal

Thanks for Caring :) . I'm still trying to find a good one, here in India :unsure: , I dont have much choice being here. Anyways so nice of you to care and help :)

Lots of Regards

Kush

nagukush, have you gone to the Windows XP mixer, selected the record panel under options/properties and adjusted your mic input level? You should also have an advanced button on the record panel that brings up a dialog box and allows you to select a +20db input gain on your mic.

My computer has a built in VIA AC'97 audio chip. I have no problems adjusting the mic level. The mic I'm using is a dynamic mic from a karaoke CAVS DVD player. It has the 3 prong XLR connector cable that has a 1/4" jack on the other end. I just use a 1/4" to 1/8" converter.

I checked another computer I use and it has an Avance Logic AC'97 audio chip (built-in) and the +20db gain button in the record mixer. The mixer is for convenience and additional inputs, but both guitar to computer (mic in) and mic to computer (mic in) work fine. I can get plenty of gain on the computer's mic in but the mixer does have less noise, so it does help.

nagukush, have you gone to the Windows XP mixer, selected the record panel under options/properties and adjusted your mic input level? You should also have an advanced button on the record panel that brings up a dialog box and allows you to select a +20db input gain on your mic.

Hi again, Buddy :)

Thanks again for caring so much :) I could'nt find the advanced button :( , I guess if there is the Input-Gain option, it'll be great !!! Could you explain it Buddy :)

Regds

Kush

Kush, you might not have all the software installed for that chip. For example, my computer has the AC97 chipset, but uses Nvidia software for the motherboard installation set. It installs it's own sound mixer program, rather than the windows dialouge. Look to see if you have a separate sound mixer program because that may contain the options Fly135 mentions.

Hey Fly, is that Fly135 as in FAR Part 135?

Kush, you might not have all the software installed for that chip. For example, my computer has the AC97 chipset, but uses Nvidia software for the motherboard installation set. It installs it's own sound mixer program, rather than the windows dialouge. Look to see if you have a separate sound mixer program because that may contain the options Fly135 mentions.

Hey Fly, is that Fly135 as in FAR Part 135?

I'll check on that, Buddy :) Thanks for caring:)

Regds

kush

Hi again, Buddy :)

Thanks again for caring so much :) I could'nt find the advanced button :( , I guess if there is the Input-Gain option, it'll be great !!! Could you explain it Buddy :)

Regds

Kush

Double click on your volume control (taskbar XP) to bring up the mixer, not the simple volume control). Select menu item "Options", then "Properties". It will bring up a dialog box with radio buttons for "Playback" and "Recording". Select "Recording". Also make sure the "MIcrophone" checkbox is checked so that the mic level will be displayed. When you hit OK to close the properties dialog box, then the "Recording" mixer will be display. If you don't see an "Advanced" button under the mic, then select menu item "Options" and make sure the "Advanced" menu item is checked. "Advanced" on the menu should be right under "Properties". Once you get the "Advanced" button you should be able to get a dialog that has a "Mic" boost or gain checkbox.

My experience with the Realtek AC97 and a dynamic mike was not good also. It was noisy like the mp3 you posted.

This is the route I went, the difference is huge. Even playing CDs thru computer improved greatly.

This is what I have now: Audio Technica AT2041SP (pair) condenser mikes; one is a large diaphragm and other is a pencil mike. I use a Behringer UB802 mixer for phantom power. I have the M-Audio 2496 soundcard; which is excellent for the price (huge improvement over the RealTek AC97). The Behringer Monitor 1C monitor speakers (passive) powered by an old Dynaco amp.

For a hobbyist application I am very pleased with the results.

lol, I see. There's a couple of aviators in the forum and I thought you might be another one. (FAR 135 is a set of FAA regs. covering a category of aviation in the USA) :)

Actually watching that video I guess you are .... just no aeroplane required. :clap::)