Barnum

Buy a starter pack or individual pieces?

Barnum    0

I was bitten a couple months ago by the guitar playing bug when my girlfriend picked up an acoustic for herself. I toyed around on hers a little bit and learned a chunk of "Time of Your Life", that Green Day song everyone seems to know how to play hah.

Now obviously toying around on someone else's guitar isn't really what I want to do, I'd like to get one for myself, but I would prefer to get an electric to an acoustic. The difficulty I'm having with this decision is that you can't just get an electric guitar and play, you need the guitar, an amp, cables, picks etc. At first this seemed to be an easy thing to do with how many variations of Guitar Starter Packs that seem to exist on Musiciansfriend.com alone. Upon getting deeper into it, it seems like some of the quality on each of the packs is quite lacking on some key thing (normally the amp).

Now my question is, as a beginner, am I better off getting a starter pack or trying to find each of the individual pieces myself while still maintaining my budget? Part of my attraction to the starter packs is the budget factor, since it's everything you need all at one price point that I can look in.

My budget isn't that large (i'm a student), about $250 though if it would really make a difference I could probably do about $300, but I would prefer not to, gotta maintain some money for food haha. I don't expect some Godly system of Rock n' Roll at that price point obviously, I would just like something that isn't going to break down on me and can provide an okay sound.

I am also not averse to buying used gear so long as it doesn't have any major deficits.

A couple of the packs that I was looking at were these:

Yamaha GigMaker EG Electric Guitar Pack (Was recommended to me on a different forum)

Dean Vendetta Guitar and Amp Pack (It had pretty good reviews)

Both of those I found on musiciansfriend.com but I can't post links to them since I haven't accrued my necessary 5 post minimum I suppose hah.

Or if anyone on the forum has a better suggestion then I have open ears.

What I'm more curious about though is if I should just scrap the idea of a starter pack altogether, or is it a good idea to go with considering my budget?

For those concerned the style of music I'd probably be playing would be in the alternative rock genre since that is what most of my music is labeled as.

Thank you all so much for reading and for any help that you may offer, I've already picked up a lot from this forum and I look forward to reading it through the future.

allthumbs    8

look on ebay. There are some reasonable guitars in the 200 price range and a 10 watt roland crate is always a good buy at around 100. I hacve a friend who has his own music school. He swears by them for his students to practice with.

Barnum    0

With everything that I have to order along with it (Cables, stand, picks, strap, tuner and amp) I've ended up with about $150-170 to spend on the actual guitar. Do you happen to have a suggestion on what I would be best to go with in that range?

Thank you very much for your help already.

allthumbs    8

Raven west guitars are a good bang for the buck. You might be able to pick up a blem in your price range. There are some on ebay now. Agiles are also a good bang for the buck. Shecters and charvels are also under rated. Look at the guitars on ebay in your price range and see what they are sellinf for new, Do some research on each one. I am sure you will find something.

Dewy    0

I'm a fan of the Dean guitars and they have decent upgrade value... not to be confused with resale value.

All of the starter packs have generally inferior hardware... i.e. the parts on the guitar, the cords in the pack, all pretty cheap crap.

But... that said, it is a good start, and the parts that are there will last you a while to get going. Just know that some of the issues you will endure are not present on higher end gear.

I've nothing against the starter packs, just as long as folks understand they are getting "Lego" quality... not "Tonka" quality.

In a year or so you would be looking to either upgrade parts on the guitar, or the entire guitar... and the amp.

shonie777    3

Guitarfetish has some really nice guitars (Xaviere) at excellent prices, check them out:

Xaviere Guitars

You can pick up a decent starter amp just about anywhere pretty cheap.

But these guitars (Xaviere) that Guitarfetish has have gotten some really good reviews. Plus the look really nice and have their signature GFS pick ups. Lots of guitars to choose from!

Shonie

Barnum    0

I took the plunge and actually walked into a guitar store today with the intent of actually holding a few of these and asking questions to a live person and the guy turned me onto a guitar they had gotten in just the day before used.

Some guy had bought it in '95 and never used it. He got rich by doing real estate before the bubble burst and retired, he came in and sold them the guitar and picked up a $1,000 guitar to learn on instead.

The guitar is a Fender Mexican Strat Squier Series. He said to make sure that when I looked it up I had Squier series and not strat squier since they're very different. He said that I should pick this up instead of the other guitars I was looking at, and I'm inclined to believe him because the guitar was actually cheaper than the other ones I looking at, if it cost more I would be much more wary but he seemed like an honest and good guy, he was very helpful. Though I guess they're supposed to be and that's how they get you hah.

So my question is, would I be wise getting a '95 Fender Mexican Strat Squier Series for $110? The price sounded awesome considering what else I was looking at having to spend. It sounded good when he played it for me, but then again, I'm a beginner so I wouldn't really know what sounds good hah.

Also he had just re-strung it that morning and had taken it apart to make sure everything was wired and ground correctly, so it is in quality condition and I enjoyed the look and feel of it.

Thank you all very much for the help and suggestions!

allthumbs    8

I have read half a dozen reviews from different sites.

It seems the 95s were one of those rare beasts where the gods smiled and quality control remained high. I would grab it. Great that the tech took it apart and checked it out for you. Leaves lots of room in your budget for the other bits and pieces plus amp. Congrats

Barnum    0

That really makes me smile Thumbs! I'd read similar things but I always like to hear it from you guys that it's a real quality piece. I had him put it on reserve for me and now I'm DEFINITELY going to be buying it tomorrow along with a VYPR15 Amp, tuner, straps, strap locks, picks a stand and the cables to connect everything together, along with having them set all of the strap locks and such for me, along with getting a service for re-stringing and repairs should anything fail in the future.

All of that for less than I was intending to spend in total, I'm absolutely stoked to get in on this deal!

Thanks so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it and can't wait till I can hopefully help some other people out on this forum in the future.

Stringthing    0

I have GAS for one of these. I'm having a hard time making up my mind. I'm leaning toward the first one with the dark ash body. I've always wanted a Tele style guitar. I like the way these sound on the u-tube vids. I've read nothing but good things about GuitarFetish.com.

8799.attach

8800.attach