shonie777

Neck Finishing

I just received a new aftermarket maple Strat neck. It's an AllParts Fender licensed neck and unfinished. I have a few few questions that I hope I can get some answers or recommendations.

First Question: How do you finish the neck? I know you shoot it with lacquer or whatever you want to use, but the frets are on it, how do you go about avoiding the frets?

Second Question: How do you align the neck with the bridge when installing so your strings and everything lines up just right? The neck fits snug already and has very little movement. But when you move the neck at the headstock it does move a bit. I know this is normal.

Third Question: How do you polish the ends of the frets to make them smooth? They are a bit sharp.

Fourth Question: The neck adjustment is done at the heel of the neck. How do you adjust the neck at the heel when it's installed on the guitar with out messing up the pickguard and neck pickup?

Thanks,

Shonie

Ok Shonie if you are applying a spray finish the answer depends on the fretboard.

If its a maple fret board the manufacturer will spray the entire thing and then remove the laquer from the frets when they are dressed. If its ebony, rosewood kingwood etc then tape the fret board as these woods dont need or want a laquer, then spray the back and headstock.

Instead of a spray consider a poly wipe on finish - tough and easy to apply and look good, or a tung oil finish which is more work but feels better and looks great.

see Fret Tech

Use a file to dress the frets as shown here Tele Neck Refret

"Fourth Question: The neck adjustment is done at the heel of the neck. How do you adjust the neck at the heel when it's installed on the guitar with out messing up the pickguard and neck pickup?" ...

I find it easiest to adjust the truss rod until the neck is straight before installing it. Then when it's strung to pitch the string tension will pull the neck up into a very slight curve called "relief". If it bends too much or not enough for your liking, you have to remove the neck to adjust it again. It's always a guessing game with such truss rods, but relief doesn't need to be exact anyway. Just "some". I think better too little than too much: .005" to .0015" dip at the 7th fret.

For rosewood and ebony boards the best fret board oil I've found is Fret Doctor from beafifer.com.

"Fourth Question: The neck adjustment is done at the heel of the neck. How do you adjust the neck at the heel when it's installed on the guitar with out messing up the pickguard and neck pickup?" ...

I find it easiest to adjust the truss rod until the neck is straight before installing it. Then when it's strung to pitch the string tension will pull the neck up into a very slight curve called "relief". If it bends too much or not enough for your liking, you have to remove the neck to adjust it again. It's always a guessing game with such truss rods, but relief doesn't need to be exact anyway. Just "some". I think better too little than too much: .005" to .0015" dip at the 7th fret.

For rosewood and ebony boards the best fret board oil I've found is Fret Doctor from beafifer.com.

That sounds like a real pain. Geez....who invented this style of trussrod? Must not have been too bright.

Shonie

I think that might have been Leo Fender. :)

Give the man a cigar ;) , honestly its not that big a deal Shonie - when its all said and done - once the truss rod is adjusted I seldom go back and play with it

Well if you change the gauge of strings, especially to a heavier gauge, a trussrod adjustment is needed. Well, that's what I usually run into when changing string gauges.

Probrably be best to just stick with one gauge of strings, that way you don't have to readjust the trussrod.

I would think that if you had to remove the neck everytime to do a trussrod adjustment, eventually the screw holes in the neck would seriously wear out.

I'd buy Leo Fender as many cigars as he wanted.

Shonie

You could always sell it and go for something like a Warmoth pro neck, they have an external adjustment on the heel of the neck via an allen key. I have one on my strat . With guages I use 11s or 10s and dont do a truss rod adjustment everytime I change.

Cheers

Rob