modelman182

GAS bites hard in 2010...

Following a rather 'good' month for me, I decided it was time I got some better gear. I spent most of last week dithering about which bass I wanted. Choices were all 5-strings:

Hutchins Calypso 5 - unusual design but feels very nice and is very good value.

Ibanez SoundGear SR505 or 605 - both nice guitars, one dark wood, one light, and both possessing active EQs

Peavey Cirrus 5 BXP - lovely design, active and a thru-neck.

Finally decided on the Peavey and, after having to order it from Germany (cos no UK stockist had any in stock), it arrived today.

Stunning, lighter than I expected, LOUD! and seriously pleasant to play. All for under £400! Most delighted...

Oh... and I also succumbed to a new combo - the Fender Rumble 100/115 in the pic, a bargain (end of line) at a penny under £200 - AND... a Boss Bass Chorus effect - just for some added 'texture'.

All in all, a good week or two - now I shall have to get back to gigging, once I can find a job that isn't permanent nights!

I see lots of extra 'practice' in my future! hee hee :guitardude:

Cheers all :yeahhh::clap:

Kev

8791.attach

8792.attach

8793.attach

Nice gear! Hows that Fender Rumble? I've got an 1980 Fender Bullet Bass Deluxe. Been looking for a bass amp. Nothing really fancy, but something nice. Been eyeballing that Fender Rumble. I've never tried one, but have read a few reviews about them and the price is not too bad either.

I'm not really a bass player, but I like to dabble with other instuments. Currently, I've been using my Line 6 Spider III and Fender Dual Showman Reverb with my bass.

shonie

8794.attach

Hi Shonie,

I like the Rumble - as you can see, I have the little 25W one which I've been using as a practice amp for years. The 100/115 is loud and has a nice clear tone. The four gang tone controls (bass, lower mid, upper mid and treble) work well, though I tend to leave them flat and use the guitars tone controls. There's also a 2x10 version of the amp, but I haven't managed to hear that one. I bought this one cos it was the right power for gigging again and Dawsons had it lopped down to under £200 locally. This model is, I believe, being replaced currently with a 150W version that features a tilt back cab - but I think that's also a good £150 dearer.

One niggle with the 100/115 - the castors don't appear to be lockable. Unless anyone else knows different?

Kev

I'm not a giging type of guitar/bass player, I just play for the fun of it and really enjoy it. But I'm always on the look out for gear that I can aqquire, guitars, amps, pedals, etc..

I'll have to see if a music shop (guitar center, sam ash, etc...) has a floor model I can play around with. I'm not looking for a big 'ol bass rig, just something that's not too small and not too big and has really nice performance.

Thanks for your info on the Rumble, helps a lot.

shonie

I'd recommend that you have a look for the Rumble 25W if you want something more manageable. It's a great little practice amp and has an Aux input (RCA Phono, stereo) as well as an effects loop (1/4" jack in/out) on the front panel. They also do a 60W version, though I've not tried that one.

HTH

Kev

Congrats on your new bass. It looks mighty fine to me.

I have two basses, a Tacoma acoustic and a 30 year old home made fretless solid electric that my dad made for me. The only input I had on that was the body shape and the logo with his initials.

I guess my main instrument is guitar now otherwise I'd be wanting something like you have there, ha, ha..

Gordon.

Hi Gordon

I don't know the Tacoma - but I'd LOVE to see that home made fretless! I've had a hankering to design a custom bass for some time, but never had the money (or any skill with wood!) to allow me to actually get one made.

Oh... and remember... Man cannot live by guitar alone - a bass is SO necessary! LOL!

I now have to find room on my walls for the Les Paul I bought in November AND this new Peavey! :)

Cheers

Kev

Hi Red

Not only does it look good, but the range of sound from it is just amazing! The active controls are smooth and the boost/cut is seriously impressive. Haven't yet found a 'style' it can't sound like! Combined with the Chorus effect, it sounds like anything from smooth to seriously funky!

After a few months of living with it, I can honestly say that I doubt if I'll find anything in that price range (sub £500) that will impress me more.

Kev