letcana

Floyd Rose plate tilted

letcana    0

Hi,

I saw the bridge plate of the Folyd Rose in my guitar is slightly tilted. I have read in a lot of places that it should be parallel to the edge of the body, but never saw what happens if it is not.

Is is just a question of the whammy bar operation, or can it also affect other things like intonation?

Thanks.

nickcallear    5
Hi,

I saw the bridge plate of the Folyd Rose in my guitar is slightly tilted. I have read in a lot of places that it should be parallel to the edge of the body, but never saw what happens if it is not.

Is is just a question of the whammy bar operation, or can it also affect other things like intonation?

Thanks.

in my exprience ive only had my guitar with a FR a couple of months and when i put new strings on and the bridge wasnt leval it affected the tuning stability.

Its not all that hard to ajust it tho.If the bridge is above the body thighten the springs in the cavaty and if its below the body loosen the claw screws so it raises up with the tension of the strings.

As for the intonation im not all that sure as i did mine when it was level.

hope this helps you out a bit.

They are a pain but there worth it

Dewy    0

It certainly can. The bridge plate should be parallel with the body and enough spring tension to remain stable when fretting the guitar.

Hi Letcana & welcome to GFB&B.

I read in another thread you posted that the intonation is off as well when you changed to a new set of strings. Yes, floyds are a PIA but theres so much you can do with them.

The first question that came to mind is “Are the new strings the same gauge as the old ones?”

Secondly “Did you change the strings one at a time from thickest E to thinnest E in that order (just my preference) or all at one go?”

If the answer is yes to both questions, you shouldn’t have a problem with the floyd or intonation.

If No to the first question, the neck bow, string action and floyd plate will be affected if you changed to a lighter or heavier gauge (eg. from 8’s to 11’s). Tightening the springs to level the plate may not work too because it decreases/increases tension on the neck, affecting pitch, intonation and a host of other things. Try to re-string it with the same gauge strings and see what happens.

On the second question, if you changed the strings all at one go, a visit to a guitar tech is recommended for a re-setup. When you have a floyd rose equipped guitar unstrung, you’ve sort of upset the ‘balancing act’ (so to say) between the strings, springs, floyd, neck …etc.

Of course if you’re patient, handy with tools and like to tinker with stuff you could just do it yourself but be forewarned that it is time-consuming and a pain.

I’ve gone through this stage with my first floyd LOLz.

After some deep screw driver scratches, I just gave up on trying to fix it and sent it off to the tech for re-setup.

FWIW, I do prefer a slightly raised plate than a level one.

Hope this helps.

nickcallear    5

Each to there own father goose.

Dose it make any difference when the rose is raised.I suposes you could pull back a bit further and relly make it SCREAM lol.

Im still in the learning process and eventualy i will try different setups and posistions.

letcana    0

Thanks to all for the answers.

The strings are the same gauge than the old ones, a I restrung one-by-one, thick E first. Before restringing the plate was already tilted, but I did not check the intonation.

I will try to level the plate.

BTW, father goose, why do you prefer a slightly raised plate? What is it different (sound, bar action...)?

Thanks again!

Dewy    0

Floyd Rose is a decent source for FR info... they seem to know a bit about it.

OFRSETUP.jpg

They are clear that the bridge should be parallel with the string plane. But, as with everything from tambourines to xylophones folks will have "deviant" preferences.

I know I do.;)

letcana    0

I leveled the plate and intonated. It has improved, but the intonation in the first frets is not perfect. Well, I guess it is not possible to intonate a guitar perfectly.

I also tried to level the grooves in the locking pads and lowered the string tree, but the high E string is still slipping.

Well, it is enough of guitar tech for now. It's time to play the guitar!!

Thanks to all for your help!

Thanks to all for the answers.

BTW, father goose, why do you prefer a slightly raised plate? What is it different (sound, bar action...)?

Thanks again!

Its the action. Of course they can be adjusted by turning the two screws at the sides (I cant remember what they’re called) but I felt this makes the whole floyd unit to protrude out more from the guitar body which is not to my preference.

Peculiar I know. But like nick pointed out ‘each to their own’ I suppose. ;)

brett king    0

The same thing happened when I put a heavier gauge 54-18 set on my Aria (fender copy) I realize it's a cheap guitar, but was a surprise to me. Wanting to get a heavier sound for the dropped d slide, however, now I'm not sure if it's because of the quality of the guitar. Reading about the string changing technique, I'll try that, but not being confident taking it apart to adjust it. that's for techs! Thanks!

BlindMiinus    0

All you have to do is adjust the springs in the cavity on the back of your guitar. They are for counteracting the tension of the strings, you always have to adjust the springs when you change string gauge. Also every so often when strings stretch and springs wear out.