mfe1955

Kirk's tone...

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered (just point me in the right direction if it has) but I would like to know how Kirk gets that beautiful tone on his slide playing. I see he uses a heavy brass slide and very heavy gauge strings, but I'm curious about the amp and pedal settings.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi, Mark.

I usually play through my little Digitech RP-100 for my online stuff, whiuch is one of those little modelers. It's got one decent factory setting (number 3) which is a bit of overdrive and reverb. I choose the 'Tweed' amp setting usually ... but I always seem to get the same sound no matter what I play through.

I'm glad you like it. I've had so many YouTubers telling me how crappy it sounds, I was beginning to wonder myself!

• Like 2

"I've had so many YouTubers telling me how crappy it sounds, I was beginning to wonder myself!"

Knuckleheads...

I have the RP-500, which I'm still figuring out; it is a very versatile pedal, though. I'll have to create a new setting called the "KillerKirk".

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you're saying, Carol. Funny how our hands seem to have minds of their own...

[ Funny how our hands seem to have minds of their own...

That is it. The player's hands and ear determine the tone more than anything else. Kirk has played my Taylor, and it sounded like Kirk! I played one of his guitars, and it sounded like me!

• Like 1

but I always seem to get the same sound no matter what I play through.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!! Seems like some of those setting are just there to make the amp look better!

hb

Kirk's tone is superb, so those youtube idiots are simply demonstrating their own lack of knowledge and experience, plus their own personal prefernces. I use 10-46 on the bottom 3 BUT have a slightly narrow gauge 4th string as a wound third, a third as a second, and a second as a first...its the simplest way to do it I found. But you need to ''over tighten '' your truss rod a little and keep an eye on the neck. A legendary, brilliant Oz guitarist, Bruce Mathiske, once said to me he ALWAYS rests his guitar against a wall BACKWARDS....ie backside out and strings against the wall , with the weight pushing against the strings' tendency to pull the neck and twist or bow it. It just might help a bit if anyone is worried about neck warpage with very heavy strings on. I dn't use heavy bottom strings simply because Les Paul's like mkjsot Gibsons are a bit bottom heavy whereas Fenders tend to have a lighter bass sound and brighter tops. Modeeling pedas are ace...i have a Sans Amp which does as Kirk's does and is excellent for recording quietly as well PLUS it gets rid of the miking up hassles. Yes it has Fender Tweed in it and you can't beat the fender amps for blues in my book. cheers all....Keith .

Hmm, I have an RP 150, a guitar, and 2 slides - and yet, there still seems to be something missing from my sound...... :dunno:

I have that problem plus the fact that my guitar makes a lot of mistakes.

It's the 4th one I have purchased and I still get mistakes. I don't get it.

I have that problem plus the fact that my guitar makes a lot of mistakes.

It's the 4th one I have purchased and I still get mistakes. I don't get it.

Yes, gasbag, I've heard other people have this same problem. It must be a conspiracy.

And what's more, some people have all the luck - Paul (Sharaton) constructed a guitar out of a plank, and it sounded fantastic. Which proves my point - it has to be a conspiracy.