hb

Kinda dissapointed!

hb    0

I got a Presonus Firebox for Christmas and have tinkered with on and off every since. Everything seems to work okay, it's just that I had expected to hear a very noticeable difference in the quality of the recording. Either I have missed something, (I know that's hard to believe!), or it's not producing much of a difference.

Actually, if I were to use my computer's sound card, and then use the Firebox and play them both, I don't know if I could actually tell which one was which.

Any thought are appreciated,

hb

Tekker    1

That is interesting. I noticed a huge difference when I upgraded from my standard PC sound card. And even going from the Aardvark Q10 to the M-Audio Profire 2626 (both recording interfaces with 8 inputs) there was a very big difference.

What kind of speakers/headphones are you using to monitor with? Can you give some details about how you're recording?

Sometimes you can have several weak links in your recording chain in addition to the sound card (speakers, microphones, etc) and if for example, your speakers are poor quality you may not be able to hear as big of a difference. Even professional mixes can sound bad on poor quality speakers. It's possible that something else is now the weak link in the chain and isn't letting you get the full benefit of the audio interface... Or, it could just be that you're missing something. lol (sorry, couldn't resist. :laugh:)

-tkr

Nutty    1

Hi hb,

Were you using your onboard sound card before? I have had the Presonus Firebox for a couple of years now and have been pretty happy with it. Before that, I had serious latency issues. I've had heard complaints about the pre-amps not being that strong, but the controller allows you to add 12db to the mic inputs. That makes a huge difference, so I've no complaints about the pre-amps.

Annette

hb    0

Thanks for the replies!

For starters:

I purposely bought some $65 speakers from a sound store as I knew my computer speakers were not all that great. They are Logitech speakers that have a somewhat large base unit and two smaller speakers for a total of 3 speakers. I thought that this was enough money for speakers....dunno?

My headphones are Sony and they probably cost around $50. Here again, I suppose one could have spent a couple hundred, but you have to stop somewhere! Although, I have not really used the headphones plugged into the Firebox for listening, I usually just listen to the play-back over the speakers, and I can adjust the speakers with my computer with a little program that changes the dynamics of the speakers, i.e. hall, concert, auditorium, etc.

I usually plug my guitar directly into one of the two front jacks labeled mic/instrument, or sometimes run my guitar into the amp, and then run my amp into the mic/instrument jack from the headphone/line out jack on my amp. The Firebox is plugged into the back of the computer to a special jack that I had to have installed, (can't remember the name of the jack, it's in on of my earlier threads on the subject of these interfaces.) Then I use Audacity for the recording. I have not noticed much latency, as this is a good, positive point that I haven't paid much attention to. (I guess when something doesn't go wrong, you don't notice it much!).

I was using strictly my computer previously for recording. I must say that the quality of the recording using my computer's sound card actually was not all that terrible, at least to my ears.

The only thing that does not function properly is a program that came with Firebox called Cubase. The set-up would always fail and I thought that it was mostly for effects only and I can add effects with Audacity.

Hope this answers some questions, perhaps it will shed some light on the subject.

Thanks,

hb

carol m    64

I don't have a Presonus, but have you got your computer and Audacity set to use the Presonus for sound in and out? It's in Preferences in Audacity, Tekker will know where to do find these settings on the Presonus, and maybe the computer.

I remember when I started with recording, getting everything talking properly to everything else took a while to get right. Maybe the audio stream is still going through your computer's sound card?

Nutty    1

Good point Carol. You should definitely be using only one sound card. The onboard should be disabled. I have everything running through the Firebox.

You are right hb that this stuff all adds up when you get into recording. I got the Firebox first, then reference monitors (or near field speakers), condenser mics,,,and the list can go on and on.

I haven't heard good things about cubase and was recommended to not install it. How about trying Reaper for recording or Music Creator? They are about $40 and can do much more than Audacity.

Good luck.

Annette

hb    0

I'm almost positive that everything is set up correctly. In Audacity, it gives me the choice as to use the firebox or not, so it is recognizing it. Perhaps listening back through the headphones plugged into Firebox will ad some distinction between the two ways of recording....dunno.

I have Reaper, and a while back dedicated an afternoon to learning it. After about 4 hrs., I decided that Audacity was going to do about 95% of what I wanted to do and seemed much more user-friendly. Reaper is probably much better, but I guess I've gotten too much on my plate to find something else to struggle with!

hb

Tekker    1
Although, I have not really used the headphones plugged into the Firebox for listening, I usually just listen to the play-back over the speakers, and I can adjust the speakers with my computer with a little program that changes the dynamics of the speakers, i.e. hall, concert, auditorium, etc.

I would definitely use the firebox for monitoring (the monitoring end is also very important), can you plug your speakers into the firebox? If you're speakers have an 1/8" jack, then you'll probably need a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to plug them into the firebox.

I usually plug my guitar directly into one of the two front jacks labeled mic/instrument, or sometimes run my guitar into the amp, and then run my amp into the mic/instrument jack from the headphone/line out jack on my amp.

How does your amp sound if you just plug your headphones straight into it? Does it sound the same as when you listen to your recorded guitar with the headphones plugged into the firebox? If so, then this may be the problem. In my experience, recording from the amp's direct output doesn't result in a very good sound. The guitarist in a friend's band that I recorded had a Crate tube amp and I miked the speaker and also took a direct output, but I ended up not using the direct sound at all because it sounded awful.

When you plug your guitar straight in, are you using an electric or acoustic guitar? If electric, are you using any kind of amp simulation software to process the dry guitar sound?

-tkr

scotty_b    16

I have only glanced over this, but if you are using a PC you should really turn off the internal sound card from your BIOS setup options. There may be other settings recommended by Presonus for optimizing your computer for Audio.

As far as money goes , they are not expensive items you have purchased, but that is OK. You have to be happy within yourself, and ignore advertising and reviews from other people.