boroboy41

To buy from UK store, UK online or EU online...that is the question

boroboy41    1

Its my birthday in a few weeks so I've informed the missus that she and the kids are welcome to contribute towards a sweet new axe...that I'm buying anyway!!!

I've had my eye on an Ibanez RG370DX online but when I went to my local guitar shop to try it out they didn't have it there (it was in one of there other outlets). I tried out an RG350EX which has the same body, neck and pickups and it felt okay. Action was low compared to what I've got but this is kinda what I'm after anyway (I think). So I'm thinking yes I'll have the RG370DX but where from?

The local shop has it on their website for £323 and I could get it shipped there to try before I buy or if I bought it online its easy to take back if there's a problem. Another UK retailler has it for £293 online but German site has it for £312 AND also sells all the other stuff I want such as a leather strap and straploks and they are quite a bit cheaper than sourcing in the UK. I could make back some of the extra cost of the guitar plus save on shipping costs too - problem with that is that its coming from Germany but in the back of my mind I'm thinking does it matter whether it comes from London, Birmingham or Berlin as I can't easily get to any of them and FedEx/UPS returns might well be similar cost???

Has any body had an experience getting stuff shipped across Europe - EU to UK or vice versa?

Any other advice from the global community?

I bought my first and only guitar online, it was cheap 'own brand' starter pack. I had to set it up and tune the licensed floyd rose myself so I'm hoping I have to do less with a branded guitar that the website claims gets checked and set before shipping from the factory anyway.

Daktari    0

Hi there,

I am British although I have been living here in the States for the last ten years. Have you tried some of the music dealers over here? In most cases I think their prices are lower than The U.K and Europe and the difference in price might even cover the cost of shipping. I'm thinking of Musician's Friend and maybe Amazon. There is a camoflauge green example of that Ibanez guitar on Amazon for $ 350.00 which I believe is about 223.00 British pounds.

Might be worth checking out.

All the best, Gordon.:)

allthumbs    8

It is always good to actually have your hands on a guitar your thinking of buying first. That way you know what you are getting but, sometimes that is not possible. Going with mail order or ebay can be an option if you are knowledgeable enough. Good luck

boroboy41    1

I went with the German website in the end, free shipping on all orders over £200. I placed a £400 order last week for the guitar, Ibanez leather strap, 2 x straploks, 2 x 3-pack D'Addario XL Superlight 009's and a bundle of 6 x 0.6m mono patch cables. I delayed shipping until Wed 10th as I was going to be away from home working for a few days and it all arrived safe and sound this morning:yeahhh:

I think I got a bit of a bargain too as the item description said "incl. strap and gigbag". I thought it might just have been their own brand gear but no a genuine Ibanez strap was in the box with the axe (standard fare I reckon) and a genuine Ibanez nylon gigbag as a separate item which they sell for about £30 on their site.

Can't wait for my birthday on Tuesday when its all officially mine :beer::clap:

Just had a sneaky play to check everything's okay :smilinguitar::punk:

timvass    0

I think I know the German outlet of which you speak . I have bought various bit of kit from them including there own HB branded gear . They are good to deal with and I am always impressed by the quality and set up delivered to the door.

No I dont work for them!! Its just we are all quick to complain to as many as will listen when stuff goes wrong I think credit where its due , these people seem to be a very goodt what they do .