harles

2 Channel Recording Ideas Please

Hey Homies,

I have a pickup for my guitar and a microphone for vocals and I'm wanting to record them on 2 separate channels in Adobe Audition.

So what I'm ideally looking for is a cheap way to run the pickup and microphone to my PC separately. Is there an easy solution to just 2 channel recording?

Thanks for any help. :)

Hey harles,

How much are you looking to spend? Are we talking "cheap" as in a couple hundred dollars (as this is actually cheap when talking about multichannel audio interfaces) or are we talking like $10? :D

-tkr

Tekker,

Explain please! Or should I say elaborate.

Hey Eddie,

lol! Sorry, I was on my way out the door and was typing quickly to get it posted before I left. :D I basically just trying to figure out how much he wants to spend. He said "cheap", but cheap is a relative term. In terms of recording interfaces $200-$300 is actually considered to be pretty cheap. However, sometimes when people say cheap they literally mean cheap and 2 channel recording can be done with a Y-Splitter cable for about $8 (hence the $10 comment) and your existing computer sound card. If you're wanting to spend as little as possible, then $200-$300 may seem like a LOT.

So that's why I wanted to get an idea of which "cheap" he was referring to. Is he looking at going as cheap as possible (with the Y-Splitter) or is he looking at spending $200-$300 for a new audio interface?

Hope that clarifies it. It made sense in my head, but I knew what I was talking about... Or at least, I think I did. :blink: lol

-tkr

Yo Tekker,

Thanks for the reply. I meant like microwave-food cheap :winkthumb: . By Y-Splitter do you mean like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/nz421629.jpg

Because that could take 2 inputs but only record on 1 channel, right? I guess I'm looking for too much for too little.

Hmmm, which makes me think. I already have a recording interface that can take 1 jack, so I suppose I could just get another interface that took 1 jack.

These 2 look pretty similar: Jack to USB Adapter & IK Multimedia Stealth Plug USB Guitar Interface

Have you had experience with any of these?

By Y-Splitter do you mean like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/nz421629.jpg

Because that could take 2 inputs but only record on 1 channel, right?

Yep, that's what I was referring to.

The "Line Input" on a typical computer sound card is stereo (right and left channels) so you can record onto two separate channels with a Y-Splitter cable (make sure the end that plugs into the computer is stereo).

Hmmm, which makes me think. I already have a recording interface that can take 1 jack, so I suppose I could just get another interface that took 1 jack.

Which interface do you already have?

These 2 look pretty similar: Jack to USB Adapter & IK Multimedia Stealth Plug USB Guitar Interface

Have you had experience with any of these?

No, I've never used a single channel USB interface. I don't know how good the quality would be on those, but I imagine if you're trying to keep costs in the "Top Ramen cheap" category (:D) then that's probably your best bet.

-tkr