jimmyzowens

stupid humm

jimmyzowens    2

hye guys .. it been a while but all is not lost ive been playin practicing and recording. and a ton of thanks to this site and PLANE TALK wht a good program. anyway i helped a frind set up a recording studion at his house using a mackie board and Audacity

we run all his instruments into his board then 1/4 inch cable to his computer and finally reducer to 1/8 at the input, problem is we get alot of humm in the final recording and during the monotoring process

any clues??????

Rockerbob    47

Sounds like a ground loop or a shielding issue. You can find lots of info on these issues on the web. Basically, make sure everything is grounded the same way. Disconnect everything from the mixer and see if the hum is still there. If so, the mixer/computer input is at fault. If not, it a device being plugged into the mixer.

Dewy    0

Also make sure you do not have power cables near signal cables. Shielding is supposed to prevent the 60 cycle hum but its not fool proof.

jimmyzowens    2

the hum is still there even if i just run my mic with no pre amp directly into the computer mic input with a 1/4in to 1/8 inch reducer.

i tried different chords different plugs and all?

Dewy    0

Do you have an LCD monitor... or a CRT?

Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) emits a huge electromagnetic wave... you cannot stand in fromnt of a CRT monitor and record a guitar with magnetic pickups... or it will have a HUGE hum.

Try starting the recording and walking away from the monitor (with the guitar) and see what happens.

Dewy    0

There are "flat screen" CRT's out there... LCD's are thin.

Turning the pickups to face away from the monitor should help... Shielded electronics is supposed to help, but nothing but an LCD will stop it completely.

Well, or like I used to do, walk into the room, hit record, walk out of the room and start playing.