dwig

Epiphone Les Paul

dwig    0

I saw this ad for an epiphone les paul. It is 200 dollars and includes a hard shell case. Do you think this is a good deal. I may resell it, or just keep it. Also what are some things i should look for when inspecting the guitar before I buy it.

8758.attach

8759.attach

8760.attach

GotDeeBlues    3

First, see which model of LP it is. There are Juniors, Studios, 100's, Custom etc. Then check prices for that model new, and EBay for similar used prices to get an idea if the seller is reasonable in asking $200. If you can inspect the guitar before purchase, look for a straight neck, smooth edges on the frets, check the tuners to see if they hold tune well, and run it through an amp to check the volume, tone and three way toggle switch.

bugly    0

Firstly its not a junior - two pickups :), Somebody 'upgraded' the guitar by putting a fake gibson truss rod cover (3 screws are not used on Gibson LPs). It looks to be a Epi LP standard with a plus top. The tuners have been changed to Klusen replicas to bring it in line with Gibson LPs.

Cant see what the pups look like but they seem to look like the standard issue.

Epi LPs are nice guitars that are looked down by guitar snobs- my son has the plain top std in the same colour - lovely guitar, good player and one well worth upgrading the components as the timber and finish generally very good.

As long as its not a wreck it is a good price.

bugly    0

Actually I lean towards Teles :) , and try to stay away from solid body mahogany guitars due to weight. Having said that one of my strats is mahogany and a bit of anchor.

My elder son plays Epi LP plaintop much like that one (which I spent a day updgrading the PUPs to SeymourDuncans SH1 and SH5's, the electronics, the tuners to replica Klusons, the bridge and tailpiece ie almost everything on it_ so it was easy to spot the obvious changes.

Daktari    0

Hi there,

I am by no means an expert but it seems to me the first question to ask is: Do you like Les Pauls and the sound and characteristics that come with that particular guitar?

If you do, then $200.00 seems a fair price if everything works and it plays well. If you're thinking of buying it just to sell again, then it's probably not worth it, I don't think you could get much more that $200.00 for it in a re-sale.

Good luck, Gordon.:)