kirax05

glue job?

kirax05    0

Hello.

I recently found out that my acoustic guitar has a strut (i'm not sure if you call it that) inside the body of the guitar that seems to be half unglued.. like the glue must have dried up since it's starting to come off. Although the other half of it still seems nicely attached to the back of the guitar.. i'm worried that it will come off soon and then i'll really have a problem on my hands. it seems so minor that getting technicians involved just might end up a waste of time and money.

But since it is a guitar... I'm sure you can't stick any kind of glue in there.

Is there a special glue that can be used for gluing the strut back on the body? or will krazy glue actually work just as well?

I also attached 2 pictures of it... but i don't think it really helps.. :yawn:

Thanks in advance! :D

1134.attach

1135.attach

Kirk Lorange    128

I wouldn't use crazy glue, kirax05. I think that white wood glue would be the go, the kind that goes transparent when it dries. Get it from the harware store, it's made specifically for gluing wood. Make sure you prop something inside the guitar to keep it flush and pressed tight while it dries.

kirax05    0

oh wow thanks everyone! i figured krazy glue wouldn't be good.. lol

okay braces then... inside my guitar.. there seems to be 4 of them.. and it's the 3rd one from the top (2nd from the bottom) that the glue seems to drying out or something.

i don't think clamping down will be too much a problem... i have weights that can hold it down..

rattles? there are times where it does sound like something's ripping inside.. i thought it was coming from the nut.. :S

thanks again! :D

kirax05    0

umm.. so what exactly do you mean by the top or bottom? :unsure:

how does a top brace look like compared the a bottom one?

...sorry.. n00b question. :oops:

kirax05    0

o__O

hole? lol... I can't tell? if i set it up... then i don't see the brace that's peeling off?

MAYBE it's a bottom one?

lol.. how different are the gluing procedures?

Maybe more accurate terms would be either a top brace or a back brace? Is the brace attaced to the guitar top, the piece that has the sound hole and bridge attached to it, or the guitar back, the piece that touches your ribs/belly when you play it?

Ok, with that you can lay the guitar flat on it's back and use a suitable weight to hold the brace in place while the glue dries. Be careful not to have too much lateral force or you could split the brace. The goal is to get the force straight down through the brace to surface of the back. Hopefully it won't take too much pressure to get a tight fit. You only need to keep the weight on it for the first 30 minutes to an hour but if you want to leave it on overnight that's ok too. The glue should dry overnight.

kirax05    0

thanks! i will indeed try that.................. once i ask more n00b questions. --;;

by 'lateral force' .... you mean..?

and what do you recommend as a good wood glue for this type of thing?

this will be interesting.. first time attempting to fix my guitar and change strings all in one go! :sweatdrop

Some braces lay somewhat flat to the board, other braces are more glued 'on edge' so they stick up in the air quite a bit from the surface, like over 1/2" to 3/4". These are often carved to a soft edge. If you apply too much pressure side to side, lateral, they can crack and snap along the grain line. You only want to apply pressure straight down. How hard do you have to push the brace to make it contact with the surface of the guitar back? Any wood glue will work fine btw.

kirax05    0

to be honest.. i never actually tried that (pushing down the brace).. for fear of some how messing up my strings. i wouldn't think that it needs a lot of force ... it does look brittle. i think this brace should be flat on the board since the other side seems to be like that.

will there be a dramatic sound difference if some of the ribs (i think that's what the little pieces inside the guitar are called) are lost? there seems to be a few that were kinda knocked off by the brace peeling. and should i get them fixed?

thanks for the help so far! i really appreciate it!

I guess you're talking about the kerfing that runs along the joint where the sides meet the top and conversely where the sides meet the top? Normally that's notched out so the brace runs the whole way to the side. You could just losen the strings to get your hand in there.

kirax05    0

kerfing? @_@ if you mean the little small squares that run around the outline of the body inside.. then yes... some are falling off (knocked off rather) as a result of the brace.

the brace seemed flimsy but when i loosened the string and put my hand it... it seems a LOT of force is needed to push that guy back down. i don't think it's suppose to stick out like that.. there seems to be evidence that it was glued down before... :unsure:

kirax05    0

lol let's hear your other solution...

hmmm.. well over 10 pounds I'd say... i was afraid to push really hard just incase that would pop the whole brace off..

how is sound affected with the brace half in the air?

well, the other method is assuming that you have direct access to the brace via the sound hole. You'd have to lay the guitar on a solid, non-marring surface face up. After applying glue you'd have use a rod like a wooden dowel that would rest on top of the brace on one end and the other end would be sticking up in the air ready for you to apply pressure.

kirax05    0

o___O

*cough* unfortunately.. it's not a directly exposed brace ... ><

hmm i'll have to try and see what pushes it down...

but thank you for the help till now! ^^

if all else fails... i guess i could go to the technician... they wouldn't be cruel and make you pay the time it takes to dry would they?

kirax05    0

i will think about it.. i'm just worried that the repair costs will cost more than the guitar itself --;

actually... reviving this half-dead post (sorry :S) i was looking at the brace and was thinking that the reason why so much force was necessary might be caused by dried glue under the brace.

any sugguestions on how i could safely remove the glue left on there?