Double Stops

12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WernHalen

• Active Members

• 657 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:30 AM

Hey,

This seems to be my nemesis... I have not gotten a good excersise to get double-stops down pat, especially in a improvisation environment. Getting it down in a rehearsed section is easy and I know how to do it, but as soon as I try it in a piece where I have to improvise on a fresh piece of music, where I sometimes have only heard the progression once, is far too difficult for me. I can do it, but it all sounds very mechnical, predictable and not too musical for my ears. Kirk does it brilliantly.

Does anybody have any clues on how to practice double stops to get to a point where you dont have to think about it anymore? :dunno:

WernHalen

#2 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

The fastest and easiest way is to buy Kirk's Plane Talk materials and go to the plain talk forum. He has a lesson there on double stops based on it's principles.
The other way is to learn the double stops for each string set for each of the chords in the caged system.

#3 OFFLINE   WernHalen

• Active Members

• 657 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:39 AM

AT,

I understand Double stops and i have PT, but I just can not use the double stops as easily as I can improvise using single melody lines... i will definitely check out the double stops excersise taht Kirk has on the PT forum. I went browsing around there yesterday very briefly, but did not find it. i will have a look again today.

thank you...

#4 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:44 AM

You need to see the whole chord, WernHalen, and use adjacent tones or tones two strings apart. I know ... easier said than done.

The PT lesson allthumbs refers to is the Tritone Shuffle, a specific look at a jazzy blues piece, all played as double stops, but the principle I describe applies to any old progression. Here's the link to the thread:

Tritone Shuffle

Cheers, ask over there if you have any questions.

#5 OFFLINE   WernHalen

• Active Members

• 657 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:06 AM

Kirk,

I know and understand the principle of how the double stops work. i think it is more a mechanics thing where I just cant get the double stops to sound musical...

I will have a look at the lesson. Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve Brown

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 31-May 10

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

They are tricky.

#7 OFFLINE   WernHalen

• Active Members

• 657 posts
  • Joined 20-December 05

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:29 PM

I am having a better time with them now... It was a timing and finger thing. I was just not hitting them at the right time due to my fingers being slow. They just dont always want to work the way I want them to...

They are starting to sound sweet now...

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Brown

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 31-May 10

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

Rock'in.

Feel free to drop by my channel dude.

Here.

#9 OFFLINE   hearinvoices

• Active Members
  • 754 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

A little off subject of the thread but I just have to say WOW I went to Steve Brown's link here and I have to give props ! Excellent playing Steve !:claping: :guitarguy:

Johnny

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Brown

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 31-May 10

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

hearinvoices said:

A little off subject of the thread but I just have to say WOW I went to Steve Brown's link here and I have to give props ! Excellent playing Steve !:claping: :guitarguy:

Johnny

Many thanks Johnny! If anyone would like to subscribe it would be much appreciated. First & for most. Welcome aboard!!
:smilinguitar:
Steve Brown Official

As for double stops. It's getting the correct pitch together that makes these live. I'm sure you all know.

#11 OFFLINE   eddiez152

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 10,021 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

Nice job Steve,
I had a post here before, but it seems to be gone now?????
Nothin sweeter than the sound of music comin out of a 6 string box - EZ me Music / ASCAP "Music is a social act of communication, a gesture of friendship,the strongest there is"-Malcolm Arnold

#12 OFFLINE   solidwalnut

Moderator | Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,098 posts
  • Joined 12-October 06

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

WernHalen said:

Hey,

This seems to be my nemesis... I have not gotten a good excersise to get double-stops down pat, especially in a improvisation environment. Getting it down in a rehearsed section is easy and I know how to do it, but as soon as I try it in a piece where I have to improvise on a fresh piece of music, where I sometimes have only heard the progression once, is far too difficult for me. I can do it, but it all sounds very mechnical, predictable and not too musical for my ears. Kirk does it brilliantly.

Does anybody have any clues on how to practice double stops to get to a point where you dont have to think about it anymore? :dunno:

WernHalen

Just another Posted Image thrown in on this:

Getting the mechanical down on these is obviously the first and most important part. After that, there's a way to help tighten up the sound.

One thing I began doing often is to try and treat each 'stop' as one note, or as a unified presentation. What I mean is playing each note mechanically in unison. If I decide to slide in from a half-step back, or use vibrato or some other treatment of the notes, this helps to unify the presentation.

Steve
Steve Cass
Solid Walnut Music/ASCAP

Becoming a great guitarist has less to do with fancy moves than it does becoming a master of the basics and learning musicianship.
It's not what you can't do. It's how you play what you already know.

View my lessons here at GfB&B

"Rhythm guitar is a trip that alot of people miss" -- Tom Petty

#13 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Steve Brown said:

As for double stops. It's getting the correct pitch together that makes these live. I'm sure you all know.
Can you elaborate on that, Steve? You're right, we all know that getting the right notes together is the trick, but how do you go about doing that? I think that's what the members here want to learn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users