slimguru

Test equipment is grounded

slimguru    0

I need some advice on testing to ensure all my gear is grounded correctly. Here is what happened, I bought a used blues driver and chromatic tuner. I tried daisy chaining it to a RP80 to power all three pedals. I didn't realize at the time that the RP80 actually needed more Ma than what the Chromatic tuner could produce. While playing I felt an electrical tingle through my strings and then the pedals turned off. I have since taken the RP80 off the daisy chain and plugged it in separately using it's own ac adapater. All the pedals seem to be working now, but I keep thinking I might be feeling a tingle or shock. It could be just a psychosomatic effect but I am not sure, so I would like to be able to use a voltmeter or some other way to test that everything is working fine or identify what isn't. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for going about testing?

Thanks.

wjp01908    0

I`d suggest that you get your rig properly tested by a qualified electrician - it`s simply not worth the risk relying on tips gleaned from the internet.

I don`t know what the situation is in the states, but here in the UK, it is pretty easy to get equipment tested (called PAT testing - Portable Appliance Testing) and I`d recommend anyone playing out over here to have this done. I`ve been asked by venues before if my gear has been done.

Some good advice on this site too:

Electrical Safety for musicians on stage

Will

fly135    5

The 9VDC power that your pedals use isn't going to cause a tingle unless you stick it to your tongue. I'd be looking at your amp as the cause. What kind of amp do you have and does it have a 3 prong grounded connection? I recently picked up a 67 Gibson Hawk that doesn't have a grounded plug and I get a tingle every now and then. The fix is to put a grounded plug on the amp and tie the ground to the chassis.

Andy S    9
What kind of amp do you have and does it have a 3 prong grounded connection? ......... The fix is to put a grounded plug on the amp and tie the ground to the chassis.

Also make sure all your stuff is plugged into the same circuit. By that I mean that all the circuits are on the same breaker box and have the same ground. If you are using two different circuits, you can casue horrendous 60cycle hum and worse, possibly be the "ground" connection that the electricity is looking for and get lit up very badly. Touch a mic going to one ground while you are holding your guitar that's on another ground and pfzapp!! Crispy critter!!:oop: