Backing Track Software HELP!!!!!

12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   koolkatslick

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

I need help finding a good piece of sofware for making custom backing tracks. Something where I can put in the beats and rhythm myself similar to guitar pro and power tab. The purpose is for making a backing track of a song or just my own rhythms to jam along with so i need something that sounds fairly realsitic. Any Suggestions?

#2 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,874 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

Don't know if this is quite what you want KoolKatslick but you could try Band in a Box, that has loads of potential, you can create full songs or backing tracks which you can add your own music to, a couple of Members who use it here (Nutty and X4StringDrive) have made some top class music with it, you put in the chords of your song and the program follows your arrangement to produce a track, you can put in as much or as little as you like for backing as it has programs called real tracks and real drums too (I think you can just buy these if you don't want the whole BIAB), it does cost a bit though but it does what it says on the packet.

PG Music Inc. - Band-in-a-Box, PowerTracks Pro Audio, and More...
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#3 ONLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,250 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

I've been meaning to ask you Chris - didn't you say that you made the bt for I Believe in Love with Mixcraft? I read their blurb and it sounds like it is just a DAW like Audacity or Reaper. Have I misunderstood, or did you use your special powers?
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,874 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:05 AM

carol m said:

I've been meaning to ask you Chris - didn't you say that you made the bt for I Believe in Love with Mixcraft? I read their blurb and it sounds like it is just a DAW like Audacity or Reaper. Have I misunderstood, or did you use your special powers?

Hi Carol, Mixcraft can be used as just a DAW like Reaper and Audacity but it was originally set up for Podcasters so it had the added facility of music beds and various add ons like sound effects, this facility has been extended so you can make entire tracks of most genres if you want to so it's more than a DAW and Mixcraft update the music and effects every few months, I still think it's a bit limited though compared to Band in a Box, I made the I believe in love track from a basic backing track then added drums and the Hammond organ (love that sound) it was a pretty straightforward mix as mixes go as I only had to splice the loop together line up the drums and decide where to bring the Hammond organ in, the hardest bit was doing the Vocals, think I missed it a little bit and think I can do that better when I do another take on the song.
I do like mixcraft but I do think it has limitations, you can make backing tracks with it and songs and also add your own playing and or vocals but it does fence you in if you want to create your own arrangements, Band in a Box is cool because it gives you a bit more room for manouvre from a creative perspective.
Here's the I believe in Love BT, promised to post it again but as usual for me got sidetracked, apologies for going a little bit off thread but it still relates to BTs:winkthumb:

Best Wishes

Chris

Attached Files

#5 OFFLINE   koolkatslick

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

Well band in a box looks pretty cool but it also seems quite expensive. The price would be worth it but i am not sure if its what i'd want. What i dont understand about it however, is once you put in the key and the chords does in generate the track for yor, or can you put the drums, bass, etc. in yourself?

Also, do you know where i could download a free trial of this?

Thanks for the help

#6 OFFLINE   koolkatslick

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

Oh and before even reading your post i downloaded a trail of mixcraft, and that seems pretty neat, but it seems more like a recording program and not so much for backing tracks. I'll have to play around with it though. (I currently use audacity for recording, its simple and good enough for now)

#7 OFFLINE   Nutty

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

Hi koolkatslick and welcome to the forum.

I use Band in a Box. It is expensive, but it is a great program. It now comes with RealBand which is a great bonus. I think I started out with the mega pak and eventually upgraded to the ultrapakplus. It's cheaper to do it that way. I see there is now a Pro, entry level pack for $129. It has some real drums and real tracks etc. which are great. You can buy separate sets depending on the type of music you play (eg. jazz, country, rock etc.). I've never bought them that way, I just waited for the specials. They do have it on sale periodically, so you could hold on til then.

What I do is use Band in a Box to give me the basics or backing tracking of the song. Most styles will give you bass, drum, piano, guitar and strings. Some could be real tracks or drums, but many are midi. You can mute any instrument you do not want. What I do is I take the BiaB file and export it as a wav or midi file. I then open it into my DAW (I use Sonar from Cakewalk). Then I replace any tracks I want from those file, for example, I play guitar, so I add or replace the guitar track, add vocals, harmony, etc. to the song.

Have you done any work with midi? If so, you could do a lot with a beginners program such as Cakewalk's MC4 or MC5. Using a midi controller or keyboard in the Piano Roll View, you could make your own drum tracks. Or there are many drum loops available for download. I think MC5 includes Studio Instruments which has patterns for drums, piano and bass. These are all midi files that run through a synth or sound fonts. So, you can basically make up your own "band".

I don't know if any of this helps, but with any programs there will be a learning curve.

Annette

#8 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,874 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

koolkatslick said:

Well band in a box looks pretty cool but it also seems quite expensive. The price would be worth it but i am not sure if its what i'd want. What i dont understand about it however, is once you put in the key and the chords does in generate the track for yor, or can you put the drums, bass, etc. in yourself?

Also, do you know where i could download a free trial of this?

Thanks for the help

Here's a free demo of Band in a Box 2009, KoolKatslick, some features have been disabled but it should give you a general idea of what it's capable of and if it's what you're looking for, there are other free downloads of this but I think they're all along the same lines.:winkthumb:

Band In a Box Free Download - Stagepass.com

koolkatslick said:

Oh and before even reading your post i downloaded a trail of mixcraft, and that seems pretty neat, but it seems more like a recording program and not so much for backing tracks. I'll have to play around with it though. (I currently use audacity for recording, its simple and good enough for now)

Not too sure if Mixcraft is what you're looking for KoolKatslick, I have made quite a few Backing tracks with it to sing vocals over and some Members have played over some of the BTs I've posted, I also have fun messing around with the effects but it probably won't do what you want to do, it has a fair few tunes in the library but probably doesn't have the scope you want, I originally got it as I found it was the most user friendly of the DAWs I tried so it's a personal preference, of the other DAWS I'd agree Audacity is the most straight forward.

#9 OFFLINE   Nutty

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

I'm surprised you found that Chris. That was the one thing I forgot to mention was that Band in a Box doesn't have trial versions of their software. The reason being is that they offer a 30 day unconditional refund policy and they do stand by it.

Annette

#10 OFFLINE   koolkatslick

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 16-January 10

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

yea that link just eventually directs you to the BiaB website so there is no trail. However i think i will have to try it out when i get some $$$.

And i dont think mixcraft is necessary right now. I dont like how you have to use the piano board to input everything, it is very time consuming and the drums have that MIDI sound which is not what i want to have.

What i use to make BT's now is guitar pro 5. i like it a lot because its a breeze to put in what you want (its pretty much just tabbing). I think the bass and even piano sounds fine in guitar pro but the drums have that MIDI sound angain even with the realistic sound engine.

I know a backing track doesnt have to sound perfectly real, but from what i hear band ina box is pretty decent. So my question is will the basic Band in a box (I believe "Pro" the one for about $120) cover what i need?

#11 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

You have a few options with getting better drum sounds. You could either use something like Acid Loops, or buy a VSTi such as Toontrack Superior line or BFD. If you are looking at creating your own instrument tracks (tabbing your own parts) then something with MIDI might be good. I use Cubase 5 for this, though that may be beyond what you are looking for atm. Cubase AI, or if you are using a PC, Cakewalk's entry-level software, could be a possibility

#12 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,874 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

koolkatslick said:

yea that link just eventually directs you to the BiaB website so there is no trail. However i think i will have to try it out when i get some $$$.

I get a few downloads off that site and it's usually pretty good, I checked that download after Annette's post, enjoyed watching the Videos but I got it wrong so apologies for the bum steer KoolKatslick, the 30 day no need to purchase deal is good though, agree about Mixcraft it is a bit time consuming:winkthumb:

Cheers

Chris

#13 OFFLINE   Nutty

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Joined 09-August 06

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

I wasn't quite right on the Band in a Box info either. I didn't check the link (doh)..but I checked with the long time users on the PG Music forum. There used to be trial versions of BIAB, but they stopped when they started creating real tracks, real drums,etc. That link was originally for BIAB 2007, which was correct. There has not been a trial version since then.

Annette

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users