Soxaz

My First Guitar

Soxaz    0

Hello there, I've finaly decided to pick up and start playing guitar now. I'll probably dedicate most my spare time to it and such. My experience with guitars are low at the moment and I am looking for some help with buying a guitar + amp and such.

I've already looked out an guitar wich fits me, I am open for suggestions aswell, the guitar is an ibanez GRG170DX-BKN. Mostly wonder if it's a good guitar for the price tag.

(Damn can't post links yet :/)

For an amp I have no idea what's good and not.

Also the sound I am looking for is muse-ish sound, also playing heavy metal, doom and stoner rock.

Muse - Plug in baby (As an example, think matthew (the guitarist and singer) is using something called fuzz factory but it's quite expensive)

Muse - New Born (Also another example)

This must probably be asked quite alot around here so I am sorry if the post does not belong here or such. I recently became a member.

Thanks in advance.

Oh my budget is around 420 euro.

bugly    0

have you an amp? your budget will need to stretch to that. Dont worry to mutch about sounding like lmuse or a death metal band, a few years of practice comes before that. Also Muse use a lot of effects that will blow your budget. Not into the metal side, but in my opnion a Telecaster (or clone) is the most versitle guitar out there especially if you buy one with a humbucker in the Neck. Slipnot play a Tele, seen Muse with one, and they cover the tones from jazz to blues to country to to rock (andy Summers).

Soxaz    0
have you an amp? your budget will need to stretch to that. Dont worry to mutch about sounding like lmuse or a death metal band, a few years of practice comes before that. Also Muse use a lot of effects that will blow your budget. Not into the metal side, but in my opnion a Telecaster (or clone) is the most versitle guitar out there especially if you buy one with a humbucker in the Neck. Slipnot play a Tele, seen Muse with one, and they cover the tones from jazz to blues to country to to rock (andy Summers).

I don't have an amp but I could possibly get one quite cheap of a friend, but I don't think it's a very good one. I'll look into an telecaster right away, and thank you very much for the answear. Oh and how much do you think I would have to stretch the budget? And any specific telecaster you think I could look at?

bugly    0

No problem good luck with things - This is my favorite tele - sorry about the finger prints - Swamp ash with maple cap (warmoth body) two rail humbuckers which are split in positions 2 and 4 and a GFS clapton preamp to drive an amp to distortion and treble and bass equalisation. Very light and comfortable to play. Vox have some nice modeling amps with high gain simulations that have nice tone and use a tube in the preamp for the distortion, then the digital modeling and output stage, I have a Peavey Vypyr which is versitile but others have had issues with the amp - I have been lucky and like it for my purposes.

DSC00696.JPG

Soxaz    0

It does look nice ;) thanks again for the help. I'll be sure to concider a tele. I am still open for suggestions thou so if anybody else got any suggestion, I would love to hear.

bugly    0

Sorry I would like to help but I dont own an Ibenez however they do provide a good guitar for the money charged BUT that could be a different story in Europe as each region has a different pricing policy.

It seems that they are popular with shredders due to the fast necks on the solid bodies. When I think of buying an Ibenez its more of the semihollow or hollow bodied artcore guitars :)

Soxaz    0
Sorry I would like to help but I dont own an Ibenez however they do provide a good guitar for the money charged BUT that could be a different story in Europe as each region has a different pricing policy.

It seems that they are popular with shredders due to the fast necks on the solid bodies. When I think of buying an Ibenez its more of the semihollow or hollow bodied artcore guitars :)

Well... I don't even know what semihollow is :P, sorry for my lack of knowledge on guitars overall ^-^. I shall use google!

Donahueghs    0

I started guitar a few months ago on a beginner pack - it came with an amp, guitar and lead. I used a tuner on the internet. :) This wasn't a very good starter pack, very cheap, but I didn't want to buy something expensive then find I didn't play it much.

If you want a cheap starter pack look on ebay or argos. If you want a good starter pack, Total Guitar reviewed them, just let me find the magazine...

Here are the results of their tests (name, price and rating out of five stars): :)

Yamaha Pacifica 012 (£239) 4/5

Ibanez GRX70DX Jumpstart (£225) 4/5 << this would be good if you want an ibanez

Squier 'Stop Dreaming' Pack (£319) 5/5 << group winner

Encore Spongebob pack (lol, £159) 4/5

Hope this helps :smilinguitar:

Soxaz    0
I started guitar a few months ago on a beginner pack - it came with an amp, guitar and lead. I used a tuner on the internet. :) This wasn't a very good starter pack, very cheap, but I didn't want to buy something expensive then find I didn't play it much.

If you want a cheap starter pack look on ebay or argos. If you want a good starter pack, Total Guitar reviewed them, just let me find the magazine...

Here are the results of their tests (name, price and rating out of five stars): :)

Yamaha Pacifica 012 (£239) 4/5

Ibanez GRX70DX Jumpstart (£225) 4/5 << this would be good if you want an ibanez

Squier 'Stop Dreaming' Pack (£319) 5/5 << group winner

Encore Spongebob pack (lol, £159) 4/5

Hope this helps :smilinguitar:

Oh, great thanks for the help. I'll check those out. ^.^ Except for the spongebob pack... o_O

ZekefromMA    0

Hello Soxaz,

I'm just reading through some of the forums, and I found this

one of interest. My first electric guitar back in the 1970's was a

Fender, either telecaster or stratocaster. I bought it used as a

teenager, learned the basics with a few lessons and practice.

I must say I got my money's worth of it, as we got up to playing

out weekly or close to that level. At the stage, I needed a second

guitar or a backup, and bought a well used Les Paul. Very good sound, but HEAVY!..I found myself purchasing another used

fender telecaster....and basically played them, alternating when I

needed.

Time frame up now...35 to 40 years....I was looking for something with a mellow, sweet tone. After trying out a few varieties, I picked up an Ibanez Artcore, hollow body.....loved the

sound, and the feel. I think as I got older, I realized...LOUD, didn't

improve the sound, what improved the tune was the tone. I

can't really use it to play "killer rock" but it plays excellent for

the easy listening rock N roll classics....hmm..like me!

Good Luck, take a lesson or 2 or 3 or 90. and practice. The other

thing, friendly jam with people, even if you so-so. you can learn

and appreciate.

Zeke

Soxaz    0
Hello Soxaz,

I'm just reading through some of the forums, and I found this

one of interest. My first electric guitar back in the 1970's was a

Fender, either telecaster or stratocaster. I bought it used as a

teenager, learned the basics with a few lessons and practice.

I must say I got my money's worth of it, as we got up to playing

out weekly or close to that level. At the stage, I needed a second

guitar or a backup, and bought a well used Les Paul. Very good sound, but HEAVY!..I found myself purchasing another used

fender telecaster....and basically played them, alternating when I

needed.

Time frame up now...35 to 40 years....I was looking for something with a mellow, sweet tone. After trying out a few varieties, I picked up an Ibanez Artcore, hollow body.....loved the

sound, and the feel. I think as I got older, I realized...LOUD, didn't

improve the sound, what improved the tune was the tone. I

can't really use it to play "killer rock" but it plays excellent for

the easy listening rock N roll classics....hmm..like me!

Good Luck, take a lesson or 2 or 3 or 90. and practice. The other

thing, friendly jam with people, even if you so-so. you can learn

and appreciate.

Zeke

Hi, I first want to thank you for the post ^.^

Then about taking lessons... I don't really like that as I am quite shy. But I do have a few friends that would be more than happy to jam with me, one is even nagging on me to get a guitar + I learn things myself pretty easy.

But chosing a guitar for me have been very hard for me as I don't want a bad cheap one... neither a very expensive one. I guess I'll check some fender stratocasters out, I've seen a few for reasonable prices. Also I'll look up that ibanez you mentioned.

Thanks again for the post.