Daktari

How to fit video and recorded sound together?

Daktari    0

Hi there,

First of all. I am a complete dunce when it comes to techy type stuff. I am slowly figuring out how to use my Boss BR600 recorder and I am finally starting to get it.

Question: How do folks record themselves playing and have a video of the same performance all synced together. I know that some web cams have audio capability but it seems to me that lots of the videos on youtube are a better audio quality than from a webcam.

I know I'm slow at this stuff but does anyone on here know how it's done?

I don't want to sacrifice a decent audio quality just to have a video. If it is very complicated,(or very expensive),I think I'll just stick with a nice still picture.

Thanks for any advice, Gordon.

Stratrat    0

Whew - I can't help you with this one at all, as I've never played with that end of things. The one suggestion I could make would be to get ahold of 79LesPaul here on the board - he's done some very good videos with his music. RockerBob has also done some really good ones, as has X4StringDrive - perhaps one of those "whiz kids" can give you some tips to get started.

DoubleJ    0

Gordon - Not sure if you found out about this yet, But it would all depend on your set up and if you could use what you already have. - Camera, recording equip. PC and how it all flows together. The quickest way is if your camera has a mic input, if so, it probably is a mini so you would just get the mini to XLR cable to hook up a better mic. . No need to go into what would be the best mic but something better than the Video camera mic. I believe you do some recording on the PC – again not sure how you get the sound out of the PC but you can run your mic and record into your pc mix it down so it has a good sound then back out into the mic input on the Camera..

Daktari    0

Hi there,

Thanks Double J but since I made that first post I have decided to not get into the video side just yet. I am recording and I already have quite a few tracks posted both on this site and also on Soundclick.

It was an attractive idea at first to have a live image to go along with some of my songs but for the time being, I am still concentrating on getting the audio part a little more up to scratch. I use a Boss BR600 which is a very nice gadget but it comes along with quite a steep learning curve to get the best out of it. I'm still learning, ha, ha..

For the time being, folks will have to either close their eyes and conjure up their own images or on the Soundclick, I usually have a complimentary photo to accompany the music.

Thanks anyway, Gordon.:smilinguitar:

Hey Gordon, I missed this first time around...myself, I video record as I play and at the same time I record thru my interface into my recording/editing app{Adobe Auditions}. Then I import the video and mute it, line the video to the digital music track{or vice-versa ;)}

and wha-laa {wha-laa being...taking into account all individual track editing first}...Hope it helps when you get ready....simple right? lol

DoubleJ, we must be related LOL

carol m    64

DoubleJ, we must be related LOL

Don't believe him doublej - he's tall dark and handsome - one of the best looking dude's around on the internet - women throw themselves at him constantly, and he has to hide away in his garage just to get some peace and quiet. ;)

Don't believe him doublej - he's tall dark and handsome - one of the best looking dude's around on the internet - women throw themselves at him constantly, and he has to hide away in his garage just to get some peace and quiet. ;)

OH this is just great, thanks a lot Carol, see if I pay you anymore hush money...the women are lining up outside as I type...whoa is me, the burdens of brute handsomeness I suppose.....ohhhhh my.......hey that one's kinda cute, so's her friend, Hi ladies, be with you in a minute :laughingg:

carol m    64

You're welcome, Kenny. Many of those women secretly pay me to tell them your address, so it's a win win situation for everyone. :winkthumb:

Except for your poor wife I suppose, but hey, it's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

shonie777    3

1: Video tape yourself playing along to your audio track.

2: Upload that video to your computer.

3: Utilizing a simple video editing program such as iMovie or Windoze Movie maker, add your video and the audio track you played along with.

4: Line up your video audio with the audio (the clean audio track). This part can get kind of tough, but it is very important to get it lined up perfectly.

5: Delete the video audio track (not the video, just the audio).

6: Add titles, etc, adjust you video colors, contrast, effects, etc

7: Render your video.

8: Export your video to the format you like. (WMV, QT, MP4, etc)

9: You are done. Upload to YouTube or whatever.

Hope this helps ya.

Shonie

Daktari    0

Hi there,

Shonie, are you suggesting that I would have to lip sync to my own songs like some of them famous folks do?

Don't know if I'm ready for that just yet, ha, ha...

That would be a good way to do it though. I was thinking of how to capture good sound quality and the image at the same time. Doing it this way means I can use the full backing track instead of just a single guitar and tapping the tambourine with a spare foot recorded live.

Thanks for that,Gordon.

shonie777    3
Hi there,

Shonie, are you suggesting that I would have to lip sync to my own songs like some of them famous folks do?

Don't know if I'm ready for that just yet, ha, ha...

That would be a good way to do it though. I was thinking of how to capture good sound quality and the image at the same time. Doing it this way means I can use the full backing track instead of just a single guitar and tapping the tambourine with a spare foot recorded live.

Thanks for that,Gordon.

Gordon, that is exactly what I'm suggesting. I have done many music videos and that is how I do it. You don't have to lip-sync, it's actually better to actually sing it along with the audio track. Take a look at some of the music videos I have done on my YouTube site. They are all singing along to the original audio track and it works out really well. all you do is sync up the video with the audio. A bit time consuming, but well worth it in the end.

Shonie

YouTube - Paul Willeto - "Merry Christmas To You In A Song"

Daktari    0

Hi there,

Hey Shonie, I'm well impressed. I mean, they are proper videos, good stuff. It must be interesting to work with all them different musicians, quite a range in styles there.

That's way above the standard I was thinking of. I'm still at the stage of trying to choose which houseplant to casually place in the background of the webcam to give a subtle hint of the Caribbean, ha, ha.

You have helped a great deal. I just had it fixed in my head that it would have to be a live, one take performance with the camera rolling and kinda hope for the best.

A lot of my songs have a strong reggae influence. Gotta be thinking which island would be nice, - no that's too obvious. Nice, but too much of a cliche'.

Hey, you've got me thinking now and that's always dodgy, HA, HA..

Cheers, Gordon.:yeahhh:

shonie777    3

Gordon,

All music videos are basically the same. Multi-million dollar budget to zero budget, they all lip-sync, sing or play along to the song.

Larger budget videos are always good to work with, but to be totally honest, the zero to minimal budget ones are much more creative in my opinion. They show and express true artistic expression from the heart and soul. Use what you have and use your imagination.

Use your house plant, make cardboard cut outs, dress tropical, get some friends to participate as actors. Just have fun and enjoy it! The possibilities are endless my friend.

If you need any suggestions or technical help, please feel free to ask.

Shonie

DoubleJ    0

Hey Gordon, I feel a road trip coming one since you’re going to lip sync that means flying out to the Island Mon for a remote shoot, Just like all the other big Rock stars. :ti4onah:

shonie777    3
Hey Gordon, I feel a road trip coming one since you’re going to lip sync that means flying out to the Island Mon for a remote shoot, Just like all the other big Rock stars. :ti4onah:

Fly me in too! I'll direct it!

Shonie Spielberg

Daktari    0

Hey guys, don't wanna build your hopes up here. No Caribbean this Summer. Been saving up to visit my parents back in England, maybe next year though..... ha, ha..

Gordon. (Maybe Jekyl Island...).

sheraton    20

Howdo Gordon,

i have two options. windows movie maker, but this requires seperate audio and video. easy to use if you have seperate files.

the way i've tested and seems to give best results is with a video camera, boss 8track and vhs video recorder. (just suits what i have available) audio goes through 8track and out (line out of 8 track)to vhs audio inputs (red white). then output of video camera (using lead) goes to vhs video input (yellow) this gives really clear audio

as its direct from the 8 track. no need to sync etc.

only thing is it's recorded on to vhs tape.

sorry if i've not explained this well. if you require i could do a diagram lol