TaylorPlayer

What type of amp has a good clean?

Hi I'm looking to buy a new amp under $700 with a good clean setting so I can use my boss Metal core pedal with it and my Schecter C-1, and then solely the clean with my Taylor T5.

Maybe simply a PA? Help? :)

Two of the brands that you might take a look at are Kustom Sienna and Ultrasound. They both make acoustic amps that get good reviews.

Rick

Thanks! So do those have any distortion settings at all?

eCowboy    0

No, these amps were designed for acoustic guitar only. The Kustom has a few onboard effects such as chorus, delay and reverb but for distortion you would have to add an external effect. The Kustom Double Barrel claims to have a clean channel and a lead channel but I haven't had any experience with this amp.

Rick

No, these amps were designed for acoustic guitar only. The Kustom has a few onboard effects such as chorus, delay and reverb but for distortion you would have to add an external effect. The Kustom Double Barrel claims to have a clean channel and a lead channel but I haven't had any experience with this amp.

Rick

So then I could use my eletric with it too? And plug in my pedal to get thatdistortion if I needed? Sorry for the questions, but its tough to find a good informer so im taking advantage if it :winkthumb:

eCowboy    0

Don't give me too much credit, a "good informer" is not something that I would call myself. There are people on this forum that are far more informed than I am and I am sure that they will come back with some good advice for you before long. I am strictly an acoustic guitarist at this point and have been looking for an amp for the past few weeks so have looked at many. The best thing for you to do is to go to either MusiciansFriend.com or GuitarCenter.com and do a search for acoustic guitar amps and take a look at what they have and read the reviews. My thoughts are that if you are going to play both, acoustic and electric guitars and your budget is limited, it is much easier to use a clean, acoustic amp and "dirty" it up with pedals than it is to use an electric amp and then try to get a nice clean sound needed to amplify the true sound of an acoustic.

Rick

Andy S    9

Get a Keyboard amplifier.

Our former keyboard player had a Peavey keyboard amp with 1 15" and a horn. I plugged my Ovation into it and ...Oh my!! Sweet sounding all the way. She was using a Roland keyboard that could program drums, guitars, pretty much a whole band , and it handled it all great. I played a Strat through a Johnson J-Staton (at the time) set for a marhsall sound and lots of distortion. Rocked the place and no problem with the amp or speaker.

My understanding is an amp for acoustic guitar has speakers or a speaker that is voiced most specifically for the range of an acoustic guitar. Some have a little tweeter on them and a couple have small ports on the back or side to help with the low end.

But it's still designed to handle a lower, clean signal and of a specified range.

The keyboard amp and speaker/horn combo is designed to go REAL low for the bass that can be generated, as well as the higher frequenies generated by the multiple voices like strings and horns and stuff.

And it can usually handle more power. That being said, a distorted signal can generate a LOT more power to a speaker than some clean signals. Saw it all the time when I worked for a sound company. Dudes come in with JBL speakers rated at 25 watts, toasted by a 20 watt amp. But a dirty signal is sometimes close to a square wave and there is more power under that sqaure wave at the same voltage level than a clean sine wave.

SOooo! I would try to find a nice Keyboad amp for the full range of stuf you'll be doing. Peavey makes a fine Keybaord amp in different sizes. Also, I've heard a Carvin Keyboard amp and was really pleased with how it sounded. Both in your price range.

Just my thoughts and experiences. That & 89 cents just MIGHT get ya some coffee at McDonalds!

Good luck!

eCowboy    0

Throw in $5.00 more and I can get a cup at Starbucks!! My thought was that if you were looking for a clean signal for acoustic guitar but also played electric guitar, you could purchase an acoustic amp and use effects for the electric. If I read your post correctly, and I am sure that you are more knowledgeable than I am, the acoustic amp would not be good for the electric signal. Would the keyboard amp be clean enough for a good acoustic sound?

Rick

hb    0

Andy S....can you elaborate on your what you mean exactly when you say " with 1 15" and a horn." I'm interested in this post, but I'm not knowledgeable enough with amps to know exactly what you mean.

thanks,

hb

Andy S    9

HB and eCowboy,

Sorry, thought I was clear but after rereading, can see the miscue...

Peavey keyboard amp with 1 15" and a horn. I plugged my Ovation into it and ...Oh my!! Sweet sounding all the way.

That means one 15 inch speaker (full range, not just bass) and a horn driver rather than a small tweeter for the higher frequencies. My Ovation is an electric acoustic guitar, using a standard type piezo pickup under the bridge that most electric acoustics use.

Even if you were to use a hole mounted pickup for an acoustic sound, it works great. Probably the best my Ovation has sounded when not going directly through the sound system.

Even if you went with one that was lower in power and had a 12 inch speaker and horn, that would probably do a great job since the amp is still designed to handle all the same frequencies of the keyboard at a decent power range.

And MAYBE $3 would get you a small coffee at Starbucks....oh wait, they don't have small, medium and large, they have tall, and grande and WHATEVER!!!! HA! Don't get me started on THAT!! :rolleyes:

Stratrat    0
Get a Keyboard amplifier...

Scott58 posted some time back in this thread that he had good luck with a small PA system for similar uses. Dewy also related his experiences in that thread. Might be worth looking at. No onboard distortion, of course, so the OP would have to use pedals to get the dirty sound....but it would be a versatile setup.

Finding a guitar amp made to do both sweet, clear acoustic cleans and heavy electric distortion is a tall order.

eCowboy    0

Thanks for the info Andy, I was under the impression that amps that were designed for electric guitar, "colored" the sound in some way so that you could not get a good, clean, natural, acoustic sound from them and that if you wanted to amplify an acoustic guitar an acoustic amp or a PA system was the only way to go. I wasn't even aware that there are amps dedicated to keyboards. I appreciate the information and will continue the search. Your info came at a good time since I was just a day or two from buying an acoustic amp.

Rick

hb    0

Thanks for the info!

And for what it's worth, someone on this site, some time ago, suggested that I look at Crate acoustic amps for an acoustic guitar. He gave them high marks.....never bought one, as yet, but have done some research on them.

hb