michaelcreese

What disc?

Problem is that if I download tracks from my pc onto disc, I can play the disc on the computer, the TV dvd setup and my Boss 900 but I cannot play on any of three audio cd players in the house. Not a one off, it always happens. I have tried three or four makes of cd r and rw but they wont play on conventional players which play all other discs ok regardless of whether they are shop bought, recorded on my Boss or someone elses pc. Its a bit of a nuisance and a bit of a puzzle. Any ideas?

I have another question. How do you download a backing track, say from this site, play over it and upload it again. I expect I am being a bit dumb, but how do you record over the backing track? I dont think I can upload from a cd to the Boss, add a track and re-record to cd. Hoping to change to pc recording, but that will be a few months yet.

As always, grateful to anyone who can solve my problems.

Mike

Stratrat    0
Problem is that if I download tracks from my pc onto disc, I can play the disc on the computer, the TV dvd setup and my Boss 900 but I cannot play on any of three audio cd players in the house. Not a one off, it always happens. I have tried three or four makes of cd r and rw but they wont play on conventional players which play all other discs ok regardless of whether they are shop bought, recorded on my Boss or someone elses pc. Its a bit of a nuisance and a bit of a puzzle. Any ideas?

There could be a number of reasons, but my first guess would be that you're putting them onto the CD in mp3 format, and your audio CD players don't recognize mp3. Make sure you're burning them as an "audio CD" - not a data CD or mp3. Also, don't use rw discs - some players seem to have problems with those.

...I have another question. How do you download a backing track, say from this site, play over it and upload it again. I expect I am being a bit dumb, but how do you record over the backing track? I dont think I can upload from a cd to the Boss, add a track and re-record to cd. Hoping to change to pc recording, but that will be a few months yet...

From taking a quick look at Boss' website/product description, it looks like you can hook the 900 up to your PC via USB cable and transfer the file over. If the backing track is an mp3 file (as most of them are), you may need to convert it to .wav format before you transfer it....easily done through Audacity, which is a free download. Load it onto the 900, play over it on a second track, then do whatever you need to do on the Boss to save/export it.

Yes, thank you Stratrat. Simple as that. Downloaded a dozen backing tracks this morning to cdr as audio disc, no problem anymore.

As for the Boss, you are right. I had forgotten that it can be connected direct. I have to get into town for a lead though so it'll be while before I can try. I will drop you a line on that.

I am really gratefull to you for sorting that out.

Best wishes

Mike

Hi , hope that grabs your attention. Dont wish to be a nuisance but here is a question. What is Audacity? What is its range. It looks like you could upload here and edit. Here is why I ask. I have found that the Boss 900cd is indeed supposed to accept import from wav disc to upload onto its recording tracks so that it can be added to on other tracks. But. Audacity gives me wav file which I have stored in my music. Now I have to burn it. Audacity does not seem to offer me that option. So I can open the file with Realplayer and burn and it tells me it is burning in wav format. I go to import it to the boss and it says wrong disc, by which I think it means wrong format. Since the boss can differentiate between a blank disc and a recorded disc, I am inclined to believe it. I dont like realplayer much. I have recorded the backing track I am working with on Audacity, can I burn direct from there? None of the icons seems to offer it.

As for importing from USB, the boss manual goes off on some journey of its own here. What it says the pc should be doing doesnt really happen, so import here is a dead end for me. I have googled, found a site, but it does not register me. Anyway, there seem more qs than answers there. Do you reckon Roland would respond to a direct enquiry? As always, thanks

Mike

Stratrat    0

Audacity is a DAW (digital audio workstation). It does several different things (allows you record/overdub multiple tracks; allows you to edit the tracks, add effects, etc; allows you to convert into other audio formats; allows you to export those formats to disc, etc.). It does not have a dedicated CD burning function that I know of - you have to export the track to your hard drive and use another program to burn the CD itself.

Here's my recommendation: If you haven't already, download and use iTunes. They have a version for PCs, and it's by far the easiest and most powerful software of its type. Once you've imported your songs/tracks into iTunes (as either .mp3 or .wav files), you put them in a playlist, insert a CD into your computer, then click on "Burn Disc" at the bottom right of the screen (when you're viewing the playlist). A menu pops up allowing you to specify which format you want to burn - audio CD, mp3 CD or data CD. Choose audio CD and click the button, and it burns your CD for you. Done.

One small side note - when a program burns an audio disc, it's not actually burning it in .wav format - it's burning it in .cda format, which is the "native" format for audio CDs. The BR-900 may (and probably does) convert it to .wav when it imports it, but if you put any commercial CD in your computer and examine the files, they'll show up as "file.cda"

Importing from USB on the BR-900 - I honestly have no idea, as I've never used one of those, and don't use PCs anymore either. I'd imagine that the PC should recognize it as a mass storage device (essentially an external hard drive) and allow you to drag/drop files back and forth using Windows Explorer. That's the way most such devices work.

....In fact, I just tested it with my Boss Micro BR, and that's exactly how it worked (on a Mac, no less). I plugged the USB port into the computer and turned the Micro BR on, and it showed on my computer as a mounted drive, just as if I had attached an external USB hard drive. I was able to access its contents using Finder (the Mac version of Windows Explorer) and copy/move them back and forth between the Micro BR and my hard drive.

Will Boss/Roland respond to a direct inquiry? I don't know....give it a try and see! :yes: If not, you wasted nothing more than the time it took to type an e-mail.

Stratrat    0

Let us know if it works for you. If you have questions, post them here in the forum - it comes in handy for members in the future who have similar problems, so they can find the problems and solutions via a search! :winkthumb:

Dropped you a line on this, but if it may be of interest here is how it worked out.

Converted mp3 to wav with audacity. Burned wav with itunes. Loaded cd into Boss, went to step 5 of the process for importing data, as before, wrong disc message appeared. This uploading requires boss to be in data mode. I went to check the disc by playing it through the boss to establish content. As I was loading it, into audio mode in the boss, I noticed letters imp in the top of the screen. I put the cursor here, pressed enter, and hey, it asked me which tracks I wanted to import to. Selected these, pressed enter, and the track was uploaded straight away, no problem, onto the memory card. It is a hole in the manual big enough to drive a wagon through. Maybe they sent me an old manual, but I have the dvd version and that is worse than the printed one on this issue. Paid about 40 usd for that too. Mostly it is good, but this machine has more of this type of fault and it really really gets you mad, if, like me, you are of the slide rule generation and only now coming to understand this stuff. I am not sure if this will be usefull to many, most people seem to use pc recording software. I too will now be converting to pc stuff sooner than I had planned. Life is too short to be dealing with this stuff. I am really angry about the errors in the programming, or the manual, on the boss.

Its fine, once you have figured it out. Up to that point, you are guessing. I would not have continued with this, I dont think, but for your responses Stratrat. So ta, have a good day, and

Happy new year to EVERYONE.

Mike

Stratrat    0

It definitely is maddening when the manufacturer leaves vital information out of their manuals like that. Glad to hear you persevered and got it sorted out, good job! :claping: This is what I mean about posting it in the public forum - now the next person who comes along with a similar problem will benefit from your experience.

solidwalnut    5

Mike--

I know, frustrating, isn't it? I stayed with analog gear for a looong time because I had no desire to learn all this digital stuff.

I have an electronics background, and so manuals and websites need to speak to me in that language, or just plain old English, and they do neither! Quite maddening. It took me a ton of research just to translate or to investigate further.

A huge problem with all of this is that some people are of the learning type, like me, that needs to understand the why and how before I can get anywhere. The problem with user manuals is that really good technical writers for writing is on the bottom of the priority list for most manufacturers.

Fear not, my friend. Plenty of smart people here to help get us through.

Steve

Stratrat    0
...The problem with user manuals is that really good technical writers for writing is on the bottom of the priority list for most manufacturers...

...not to mention the fact that many of them are translated (very imperfectly) from a language other than English. I give them credit for trying, since my command of other languages is very limited - but it's hard to make sense out of something like "To make most happy sound, input please wire plug to put-in cup, taking care to adjust loud at between where is level reach agreeable." :)

I'd expect such a thing from a small/obscure company with limited production budgets, but you'd think the big-name manufacturers would expend the effort/money required to achieve a translation which makes sense when trying to use their products.

Gents, if you are still there, I have had a thought. I wonder if the BR900 could be used as the audio interface with a prog like Reaper. I checked the manual, section USB. It says:

You can convert the 900s track data to wav or AIIF files and save them on your computer. After converting your mastered tracks to wav of AIIF files (but maybe they dont need to be mastered yet, thats me talking, not the manual) you can easily use your computer to create audio cds with the data, as well as load the data into audio applications.

Now, to be honest I do not know what they mean by audio applications, but it seems to me that Reaper would be such a thing. If you can upload each track from the Boss via USB could it not be fed into Reaper, edited with the plus of it being visual, and taken from there? I dont really want to use the Boss anymore, but if it saves a couple of hundred on an audio interface, well, that would not be so bad. Boss records six tracks and has one stereo track for mastering.

On the other hand, perhaps I am talking rubbish here, or perhaps using the Boss would just make pc recording as painfull as it is now. What do you think?

If this is a nonsense idea, lets just pretend it was someone elses.

Regards

Mike

solidwalnut    5
Gents, if you are still there, I have had a thought. I wonder if the BR900 could be used as the audio interface with a prog like Reaper. I checked the manual, section USB. It says:

You can convert the 900s track data to wav or AIIF files and save them on your computer. After converting your mastered tracks to wav of AIIF files (but maybe they dont need to be mastered yet, thats me talking, not the manual) you can easily use your computer to create audio cds with the data, as well as load the data into audio applications.

Now, to be honest I do not know what they mean by audio applications, but it seems to me that Reaper would be such a thing. If you can upload each track from the Boss via USB could it not be fed into Reaper, edited with the plus of it being visual, and taken from there? I dont really want to use the Boss anymore, but if it saves a couple of hundred on an audio interface, well, that would not be so bad. Boss records six tracks and has one stereo track for mastering.

On the other hand, perhaps I am talking rubbish here, or perhaps using the Boss would just make pc recording as painfull as it is now. What do you think?

If this is a nonsense idea, lets just pretend it was someone elses.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike--

No, it can't work that way. The BR900 does not have an audio interface. Here's what you can do with the Boss unit: you can input your mic's, guit's and key's into it, mix down the audio and burn it on to a CD and/OR transfer the finished audio file (either .wav or .aiff) to your computer for playback via iTunes or RealPlayer or Windows Media Player or such.

OR

You can transfer the individual recorded tracks on the BR900 to your computer (the individual tracks are ALSO recorded as a .wav or .aiff) to then mix them down on your computer in a program such as Reaper.

You can also import .wav's and .aiff's into the Boss so you can mix those sounds down with your other stuff.

OR

Throw away the Boss and use the computer to record/mix.

Mic (or guitar or keys) --> audio interface --> sound card (sometimes the audio interface and the sound card are in the same unit) --> record/playback/mix via Reaper.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Take care.

Steve

OK thanks. I sort of hoped that would be the case but mothballing the Boss would have given me a guilty conscience if I did not explore the possibility of using it in some way. Matter closed.

Mike