michaeljohnr

Setting up Taylor acoustic for slide. Advice?

I do not know if this is the correct forum to post in, so please move this post if necessary.

I am very interested in slide playing, and resonators have my interest.

What I want to do, before I make the jump into purchasing a resonator is set my current acoustic up for slide playing to see if I enjoy it and can get some basics down. Then when I have a good foundation, move on to bigger and better things.

I currently own two acoustics, one Martin OM-21 which will remain traditional and one 1995 Taylor 410 dred. which will be converted into slide tuned to open tunings. Most likely open D to start.

My idea is to leave the nut end alone to not mess with the intonation, and raise the saddle to accommodate an increased string height. I have purchased a replacement saddle that is a little higher than the current stock saddle.

I was looking at those nut risers, but two things made me pass: the height would ot allow for some fretting if I wanted to, and the intonation issues I would see.

What I am looking for is some advice from others that might have taken the same route.

Can anyone offer advice before I dig into this?

Thanks.

allthumbs    8

Just use heavier strings to raise the height and support the slide

. That is more than enough especially if you want to fret the neck. it is more hand control than strings. it just is easier with heavier strings and the tone is better.

I just have 13's on mine and slide and fretting work just fine as is.

Allthumbs is right, the last thing you really want to do is mess with any of the original hardware. I play slide extensively on an old 1942 Martin F-1 archtop, the only thing different than what most other guitars like mine have is the guage of strings. Why not try out some heavier strings before you start altering your guitar, I use D'Addario Extra Heavy (13-56), why don't you give those a try first?