nagukush

A Good Sound Card ???

nagukush    0

Hi All

I'm happy to inform you all that I've bought a Shure SM-57, :)

I want an advice on sound-cards :

Currently I plan to :

Acoustic Guitar ---> Shure SM57 ----> A Pre-Amp -----> Line-In of Sound Card

I'm using the In-Built Soundcard (of my Mother-Board, which is 7.1 Basic Sound Card)

Kindly suggest me, whether its really necessary to go for a good Sound-Card (like Creative) ??? Kindly advice a model too, is Sound Blaster Live, good enough ???

Actually I've spent my savings and I cant go for a very costly one. Will the LIVE , be good, I mean will it make much difference than what I'm using now ?

Kindly help me out, Sorry If I'm irritating you all with my recording questions, but I really have noone to Guide me here. Even the Computer-Store guy says that he cant help me technically, as he's not sure of things.

Kindest Regards

Kush

nocat    0

I can only advise you on what I have Kush... I've been using Creative Labs Audigy ZS 2, and am quite happy with it... There is external (USB/Firewire) hardware also, which some people

prefer due to the low latency... Something to look into...!!!

Cheers

Ben

allthumbs    8

The other cards will work. The trouble with audio based cards is that they go up in price very quickly. A key factor is how many ins they have. If your looking for simple recording then you don't really need a 4 port card. I used to know a reasonable card for about 100 bucks U.S. I will ask some friends on another forum and get back to you.

nagukush    0
The other cards will work. The trouble with audio based cards is that they go up in price very quickly. A key factor is how many ins they have. If your looking for simple recording then you don't really need a 4 port card. I used to know a reasonable card for about 100 bucks U.S. I will ask some friends on another forum and get back to you.

Thanks for Caring, Marty !!!:) I'll wait :)

-Kush

MCH    0

Another highly regarded card is the M-Audio 2496. I just recently purchased this. This is definitely a big step up from my SB Live. I think it is varyily inexpensive. I paid $130 CAD.

I've been using a SB Live for years with good results. I don't know that it would be noticeably better for what you are doing.

I would get what you can out of what you have, and learn more about your likes and dislikes. Learning to use your recording software efficiently will likely help more than changing hardware. This will help you know better what features other sound cards setups have and why you need them.

Peace,

Rico

Dewy    0

Yeah, but I was wondering what I should be upgrading to... so the links were not in vain!! :winkthumb:

Also:

The above is the only Creative Lab sound card you should be looking at in this line. The rest of the Creative line is more geared for gamers not music.

Somehow I knew I couldn't be a gamer and a musician... and now its finally clear why!

Tekker    1
Yeah, but I was wondering what I should be upgrading to... so the links were not in vain!! :winkthumb:

In that case, I'll go ahead and post what I was going to before I saw the original post date. :D

Avoid ALL Creative cards. Even the ones that "pose" as recording sound cards will be creamed by cheap M-Audio, Emu, etc interfaces.

Check out the M-audio Delta44 ($150). It has 4 Inputs and outputs on a breakout box so you don't have to crawl behind your computer to plug things in.

-tkr

Dewy    0

My computer was built by a Gamer I know... at the time it was a monster, now... its full of parts that cost $20 to replace.

For instance, I have a 2.6 gig processor, but the 4 usb ports in the computer are all USB 1.0

It needs help, and Daddy needs a tube amp... so it ain't looking good for a $150 card.

I will dig into the link though, see specs and maybe spend some "band money" on it. :tomato:

Ok, I looked at the card you suggested, and it didn't even have outputs for my speakers. Perhaps you could point out some advantages of having that device rather than Rolls GCi404 Audio Interface w/Mic Preamp at AmericanMusical.com

Tekker    1
Ok, I looked at the card you suggested, and it didn't even have outputs for my speakers.

It's got 4 of them. ;) Are you using computer speakers? The outputs are 1/4" not 1/8", because the intended use for these type of cards are studio monitors, not PC speakers. But with some cheap Radio Shack connectors you could easily make it work with computer speakers.

Perhaps you could point out some advantages of having that device rather than Rolls GCi404 Audio Interface w/Mic Preamp at AmericanMusical.com

I've never heard of Rolls, but after some searching it doesn't sound like a great unit, and according to this thread, it's not even a computer interface:

Home Recording dot com BBS

IMO, you'd be better off using what you have for a while until you can get something like M-Audio or another reputable company.

-tkr