CirrusPilot

My Saga Stratocaster Photo Diary

CirrusPilot    0

I'm almost certain that the finish will hold up. I did the fingernail test and I pushed hard enough to bend my nail over and it didn't make any kind of mark in the finish. I'm not going to be gigging with it. It'll just be a little fun play in my basement. The most wear it will see is from my clothes and then the foam pads of my guitar racks.

Stratrat    0

Very cool project, CirrusPilot. I took on a similar project (minus painting/finishing) with a Tele a while back (there's still a thread about it floating around here somewhere) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience....and am still greatly enjoying the guitar! :yes: Building your own is a lot of fun and very satisfying, and it looks like you're doing a great job with it. Be sure to post some pics when it's all finished!

CirrusPilot    0

Well I thought I would put all the hardware on and string up it so I could play it while the body hardened up. I found out that the nut is going to need some SERIOUS work! The nut height is about twice as high as the first fret! It's even slightly higher than my acoustic. I have to raise the action super high just to get the strings to not buzz. So I plan on just waiting until I finish the body, then I'll take it and have it professionally done. I'm so close to the end now that I don't want to mess it up. I'll have the frets leveled and polished as well while it's out.

OldG    3

It's fairly easy to setup the nut yourself....

slide it out and sand the bottom (using a flat surface with sandpaper) - until the following applies:

fret the E sting at the 3rd fret then tap the string directly against the 1st fret - you should hear a click and only feel a hint of gap.

no click - too low (shim the nut)

big gap - too high (sand the nut further)

I have used this method many many times over on both guitars and basses....

CirrusPilot    0

The nut appears to be in the slot pretty tight. I can't tell if it's been glued in. So it doesn't "slide" out. I'm sure I could take some type of punch and drift it out of the slot with a hammer, but you didn't mention anything about doing that so I'm not sure if that's the proper technique.

CirrusPilot    0

I went ahead and made the vintatage tuners work. The bushings that came with the new tuners were too large diameter wise to fit in the holes that were drilled in the headstock. It was either ream out the holes or use the bushings/ferrules that came with the original tuners. I opted for the second choice and it worked out just fine. I put the vintage tuners in and marked the holes with an extra fine Sharpie. I redrilled the pilot holes. I filled the one hole with a tootpick. They work just fine.

This Saga project has been a huge pain and I don't think I'll ever do another one. I have been unsuccessful at getting the nut suitable. I've maxed the saddles out as high as they will go and I still get fret buzz near the body. I'm just going to have it professionally done and will likely have to replace the hole nut. I still haven't been able to successfully play it. This is one of those things where I'm glad I did it. Now I know I don't want to do another one.

johnnow    0

OK. So, you told me earlier in this thread, that this project was certainly doable. Now, I'm here to tell you, that you can do the repairs. I've recently picked up what's considered one of the bibles for guitar players. The Guitar Player Repair Guide. If you're gonna do a project like this, at least give the info in the book a chance. If you still can't make it a player after that, then take it to a pro.

CirrusPilot    0

Building the actual guitar is certainly doable. The junk nut that comes on the neck is something else entirely. I took the nut off and filed it down tonight. I got the height at the first fret almost where it needs to be. I left it little high just in case. The frets still buzz. I'm not talking a little buzz. I mean they are tight against the higher frets down by the body. They won't make any kind of note whatsoever. I've got the saddles as high as they will go. I've posted and tried recommendations from all kinds of people, all without result. I think I might have figured out what the problem is. The neck doesn't sit inside the neck pocket flat. There is about 1/8 inch gap between the bottom of the neck and top of the neck pocket towards the bottom half of the pocket. I've tightened the neck screws as tight as they will go trying to pull the neck into the pocket tighter. No results. I'm to a point where I'm simply sick of just looking at the thing. I'm tired of trying this and trying that. Just so that I can have the thing finished, I'm going to take it someone. Next time I want a budget guitar, I'll just buy an SX or Jay Turser and be done with it.

karcey    42

G'day Cirrus,

It's not against the rules to shim the neck to change the angle of neck to body.

Come to think of it, you may have to reduce the thickness of the neck where it sits in the pocket.

Bit hard to see from this far away, but having come this far I reckon you can finish it. The rest of the job looks lovely.

CirrusPilot    0

Thanks for the tip. I might pass that along when I take the guitar to be worked on professionally. I'm just at the point where I'm tired of trying things. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the tips and help members on this and forums have given me. I've gotten a lot of great advice. I'm just at the stage now where I'm fed up with trying different things.