jigoro71

Takamine G340

jigoro71    0

Hello,

I just started playing again at 38 years (stopped over 20 years ago due to my naive impatience as my selfish need to play video games eclipsed my own interest to play). So, upon my recent lunch-break to music store. I wasn't looking to spend over $150, so I checked out the cheaper guitars. Then I saw this Takamine. It was a little more expensive, but I was amazed how play-able the Takamine was...not that I know anything, but I actually strummed a barre chord and every string rang on the first try. I tried the others around the same price point, but no one had the same action.

Thinking about asking the wife for an early Christmas gift. I heard a lot of good things on Takamine. I learned from cycling and shopping for a bike that it's not about buying the cheapest, but if you could afford it, buying something that's quality and definitely something you grow into. Anyone own a Takamine or have experience with one? Any thoughts and/or experiences are encouraged. Thanks!

carol m    64

Welcome jigaro - I'm a Takamine fan. Do a google your model and check the reviews, they are very favorable. It has a solid spruce top which is unusual in a guitar in this price range.

The most important thing is if you like the sound, and like how it feels to play, and you can afford it, just buy it! You can spend months looking for a guitar that fits those 3 criteria, and possibly not find one even then. You may not want to upgrade to a more expensive guitar for years, or ever. It probably looks gorgeous too, Takamines are usually well made with good finishes. It's hard to beat love at first sight.

starsailor    20

Hi Jigoro, Welcome to the forum, The reviews that Donahueghs posted are excellent and I agree with Carol on the rest, looks like a really nice guitar and you got on with it straight away which is important, if you're happy and comfortable with your guitar, practice is enjoyable, that guitar definitely spoke to you so if the money's there and your Wife's into buying you an early Christmas present good idea to go head and get it, it's around the price range you were thinking of, the action and sound meet your requirements and it sounds better to you than any of the others you tried, you may buy other ones as you get back into playing but that will be a nice guitar to start off with and one you'll hang onto for a long time:winkthumb:

jigoro71    0

Thanks all! I actually pulled the trigger and bought it (couldn't wait for Santa). I can't stop smiling.

It came with d'addario exp strings...should I replace them? They seem fine but what do I know?

carol m    64

Well done jigaro, I'm sure it's always good to go with the one you really like so long as you can afford it. Guitars are usually shipped with the strings the maker think best suit your guitar. My Takamine came with those strings and they lasted for ages. I tried replacing them with slightly different strings and it didn't sound as good. When i replace them next I'm going back to the d'addario exp's.