How do I connect RP 150 for Recording?

7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:27 AM

I have a Digitech RP150 multi-effects unit which connects directly to the computer via USB. If I want to record from the RP 150 into GarageBand or Reaper can I connect it through my Tascam US122 and then via the Tascam USB port into the computer so the sound goes through my Tascam soundcard and not direct to the onboard soundcard?

I've got a Line in for guitar on the RP 150 where I plug the guitar in. That end is easy.

Apart from the USB jack, the RP 150 has a Left (Mono) 1/4" TRS output as well as a Right 1/4" TRS output. Presumably I can connect this left Mono jack to the Tascam but...do I connect this to my Tascam Guitar Line-in 1/4" TRS? The Tascam also has 2 other 1/4" TRS inputs which are for "analog inserts for L and R inputs". What are these paired left and right inputs used for, and is this where I plug the RP 150 to the Tascam?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#2 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

Carol,

Since the Digitech unit has a USB connection, you can plug this straight into the USB port on your computer and you don't need to use the Tascam unit. :winkthumb:

-tkr
'Cause I don't wanna read the book, I'll watch the movie.

Tekker's Lessons on GfB&B: Music Theory, Recording, and General Guitar

#3 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Tekker. Will that bipass the computer's own soundcard?

Also what are the Tascam's "analog inserts for left and right inputs" for?
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   almaink

• Active Members
  • 166 posts
  • Joined 18-February 08

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

I have an RP 250 with the USB plugin. JUst plug it into any USB port and it should be seen, it doesn't use the sound card at all if you use the usb. I use Audacity to record with it on my Mac. You can get presets others have made here as well if you didn't already know.
DigiTech Sound Community :: Guitar Products

#5 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:24 PM

Hello almaink, dumbo here again - how do I record the drum track into the recording software? I hear the drum track through the headphone jack on the RP150, but not if I plug the earphones into the computer itself. And no sound detected by GarageBand either.

I don't see a way to access the drum machine directly in the X Edit software I installed.

Great link by the way, thanks.

OK I've got it! I change the GB preferences to the Digitech - I did say I was dumbo.....doh!

#6 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

carol m said:

Also what are the Tascam's "analog inserts for left and right inputs" for?
Inserts are for adding external effects units and there's an insert for each of the inputs on the Tascam (left and right). But all of your effects will be done within the computer recording software, so you won't need to use the inserts.

-tkr

#7 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Tekker - I've been messing around with the RP150 all day - it's so cool - the drum machine is great - 65 different choices.

Many of the patterns for each style are quite similar but my ears are beginning to pick up the subtle differences - ok not so subtle once you tune in to listening to beats. You choose the style (of 12), pattern (5-8 in each stlye), tempo (whatever you want), and presto - great for practicing to - so much easier to play to a drum track than a metronome.

#8 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

That's awesome Carol, glad you got it all working. :yeahhh: :clap:

-tkr

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users