abaddon

Recommendations for a beginners metal guitar

abaddon    0

I've wanted to learn for ages and have finally decided to bite the bullet and get one.

I have a budget of ~£350 plus £50-70 for an amp and other bits. Ideally I'd like something that looks metal (X shape would be great, but I like Vs as well), is comfortable to play sitting down (not sure how good Vs would be for this) and is good to learn on. A whammy bar would be good (I've noticed a few of the cheaper metal axes don't have them until you start to move up the price range which is a shame).

Favourite bands cover most of the heavy metal sub-genres and include Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Venom, Cradle Of Filth, Emperor, Mayhem, Ackercocke and Cannibal Corpse. Though I do have a slight leaning towards black & death metal.

Any recommendations? I work in London, so have easy access to the music shops there, but really don't know where to start or what to look for.

Cheers,

Phil.

SprayTech    0

Most of these Heavy Metal bands use Guitars that have EMG 81/85 Pickups .

Might look up these bands and see what their guitar setups are and see if these is something made in your price range :)

scott58    0

I've got 2 Dean ML's to scratch that itch. One's a 79 series and the other is a lower cost XP. 79 is much better, but for the cost you may want to look at the XP. They do metal pretty well with the stock pickups, but always a simple matter to upgrade.

rattledeth    0

My V is very comfortable to play sitting down so if you have your leaning toward one give one a try in your local shop and see how it feels to you. I also agree with deans, emgs, and I'd also try out a Jackson or two. Good luck.