rubendiaz

“Flamenco improvisation” guitar lesson Toronto (23) Tanguillo by Paco De Lucia.

Here is a lesson on a piece of Paco De Lucia that you can find on his record “Paco De Lucia Live in America” with the sextet

and is a Tanguillo 4/4 in Dm.

Flamenco Guitar Royal Conservatory of Toronto Ruben Diaz Official Website

The chords of the Tanguillo are as follows

This chord progression twice.

A7, A7 ,gm ,gm ,gm ,C7 ,C7 ,Bb7 , A7 ,A7.

and then bridge twice.

A7, A7, F, F, C#, C#, A7, A7.

You can use this video lesson to play the theme and soloing phrases, as well as to explore your improvisation, for example:

A7 = V7b9

(on this chord you can use:

1)

Bb minor melodic scale

(the rule is: for the degree V7b9 use minor melodic scale from the b2th of the chord.)

(for guitar players, here is the lesson on the fingerings that Paco uses, in case you don’t remember Flamenco Guitar Royal Conservatory of Toronto Ruben Diaz Official Website )

2)

A Phrygian (with the major 3rd)

3)

Bb chains if minor 3ths (the rule is: for the dominant chords like in this case the degree V7b9 use of chains of minor 3 ths from the b2th of the chord )

………………………………………………………………

Gm = IVm

(on this chord you can use:

1)

A Phrygian = F major scale = G Dorian.

2)

Bb chains of minor 3 th

(the rule is: for minor chords like in this case the degree IVm use of chains of minor 3 ths from the root or from b3th of the chord)

(for guitar players here is the lesson on the chains, in case you don’t remember Flamenco Guitar Royal Conservatory of Toronto Ruben Diaz Official Website )

3)

Bb symmetric scale

(the rule is as you know: for minor chords like in this case the degree IVm use of symmetric scale from the root or from b3th of the chord)

4)

Am Pentatonic

(notes A, C, D, E, G, over gm chord )

(the rule is: for minor chords like in this case the degree IVm use minor Pentatonic scale from the 2th of the chord, John Mc Laughlin uses a lot this color while describing melodically a minor chord and it has a beautiful Dorian flavour… )

if you want to sound modal play F major scale = G Dorian

(for guitar players, here is the lesson on the fingerings that Paco uses on major scales, in case you want to use them) Flamenco Guitar Royal Conservatory of Toronto Ruben Diaz Official Website

and you know for the rest of the chords…!

Enjoy!

your friend

Ruben Diaz

Cool, Ruben, way over my head, but thanks for posting all of that.

I was watching a bunch of your YouTube videos ... Wow, is all I can say. I love Flamenco and Paco in particular is just astounding. The fact that you know him and teach his techniques is very cool indeed. :)

Maestro Kirk

I am honoured for what you say,I just love guitar and players, and I like every style,I whish I would play also electric guitar for example...,but I never could,pick technique is very dificult for me,and for what I understood you are great at that,so its my priviledge to coperate with some of my lessons on your fantastic forum,I want to thank you for the enthusiasm and inspiration.

Best regards

your friend

Ruben

Maestro Kirk

I am honoured for what you say,I just love guitar and players, and I like every style,I whish I would play also electric guitar for example...,but I never could,pick technique is very dificult for me,and for what I understood you are great at that,so its my priviledge to coperate with some of my lessons on your fantastic forum,I want to thank you for the enthusiasm and inspiration.

Best regards

your friend

Ruben

He's not half bad on acoustic, either.:thumbup:

Thanks, Reuben. We're honored to have you drop in here. Flamenco is a world of its own ... I know it's the same 12 notes as 'we' use, but it seems like it's from another planet altogether. And I LOVE those 7flat9 chords ... any style of music that uses them so freely is right up my alley.

In another lifetime, perhaps, I will delve into it.

Thanks, Doug!

I wanted to type something, but I will just quietly watch.

My thoughts entirely Eddie. It makes me realise how much i don't know. I'm going to work through those chord progressions and see what turns up.

thank you Ruben, your an absolute inspiration. I've been to Spain a lot and have always admired the style of the flamenco players, they mesmerise me. I dont know if it will sink in this old head of mine and the fingerstlye, well I will have a go at trying familiarise myself with it. Always nice to know that there is someone as talented as yourself to give some time to players who are willing to try new avenues of playing. And to think you know the great Paco De lucia....Wow. I take my hat off to you.:smilinguitar: