bigdog3332

First Acoustic Guitar Help!!!

Hey everyone. I have just started playing the guitar about a month ago. I have been learning the chords and playing some easy songs on a conrad acoustic that my friend has. Its pretty old so Im planning on buying one soon. I was thinking of an epiphone dr-100, most reviews I read are good for it but some say it goes out of tune a lot. Anyone know anything about this guitar or any advice on a better starting acoustic would be greatly appreciated.thanks

G'day Bigdog, Welcome to the forum.

A recent research project suggested there are 10 million guitars sold annually in the world. Maybe ... maybe not.

Many of those guitars will only be played once or twice . Many of them are just not suitable for the individual who is trying to learn.

As a suggestion, how about you find a reputable shop and handle a few of the guitars they have there. Better still, find a few shops. Consider the weight and size of the guitar, consider the strings (steel or nylon) and also the volume and the sound. It's a lot to think about, but when you find the one that fits you best, it will be easiest for you to play. And easiest doesn't have to mean most expensive. Try not to be influenced by the name on the headstock; the feel of the guitar is much more important.

Good luck with your quest, and keep in touch.

Rgds

Karcey

i agree with karcey on this but also keep in mind, a crappy guitar can discourage anyone from the practice you have ahead of you. this is a personal decision to some extent but again i would encourage anyone starting out "if they can afford it" to at least break the 300 dollar mark. in this range one is less likely to to make a huge mistake on a thing pretending to be an instrument and won't be out too awfull much if you decide to give it up.... to an extent the guitar will help you learn by what your ears hear. if your perfect fingered chord does'nt sound good it will be discouraging and ultimately a waste of your time.... there are many brands in this range and sure to be something you like. i have an ibanez artwood series that i started on and was about 350... decent guitar that stayed in tune well and sounded good enough to get me through a year of practice. have an epiphone masterbilt now and i love it. be warned, most good guitar makers also make junk and you get what you pay for... good luck!

Bigdog, the epi should be fine for you as a beginner. If it goes out of tune fit a set of grover or schaller tuners on it. Google some hints as to how to initially check the action and intonation visually and sonically before you go in to the shop. The crucial advice is if you're buying new get the shop techs to set it up for you when you buy it, if they don't have techs go somewhere that does. Make sure it's comfortable to play and you won't be disappointed. Try a few of the same model don't just go for one. Hope this helps.

Bigdog, the epi should be fine for you as a beginner. If it goes out of tune fit a set of grover or schaller tuners on it. Google some hints as to how to initially check the action and intonation visually and sonically before you go in to the shop. The crucial advice is if you're buying new get the shop techs to set it up for you when you buy it, if they don't have techs go somewhere that does. Make sure it's comfortable to play and you won't be disappointed. Try a few of the same model don't just go for one. Hope this helps.
most beginners don't have a clue about what to look for, intonation and tune problems can be caused by many things. changing tuners isn't something i would do on a cheap guitar and most good luthiers won't touch it to begin with. sure the salesman will agree to "look at it"... but putting time into a cheapo is what those salesman are told NOT to do... a waste of time.. just my opinion of course..:)

If the guy buys a 'cheap' guitar and it goes out of tune it is likely to be cheap tuners, a decent set will keep it in tune. Intonation is usually a bridge and/or nut problem and again 'usually' needing just adjustment. This advice is abundantly available if Googled, it would give him a idea of what to look for and what questions to ask. As for what salesmen are told to do, new products are guaranteed for at least one year and are supposed to be free of defect. If he buys the guitar from a reputable dealer the sales persons should asure that he is happy with the guitar and offer a 'set up' to suit his requirements. Set ups are covered under the one year guarantee. So for anyone else reading this if you have a guitar less than one year old that is not performing (and Epiphones are certainly not the worst on the market) get it back to the shop, produce your receipt and get it sorted out.

my point is simply aimed at bigdogs request for feedback on the epiphone dr 100 ... wich is a 99 dollar acoustic guitar. and the probability that problems out of the box will exist. sure you could put new tuners and strings on it that would cost as much as the guitar itself after setup... i'll post some of the better cheaper guitars when i get time, untill then....:)

Hi there Bigdog,

There is a Seagull S6 acoustic for sale on e-bay for $250.00, slightly used but almost new with bag and seller claims it to be perfect.

I rate Godin guitars very highly and I think Seagull is part of Godin.

Worth checking out I reckon, these guitars score very well in reviews for what that's worth.

Good luck, Gordon.

p.s. The lower priced Seagulls new go for around $390.00 and up into the thousands... I think the S6 is a low to mid range Seagull.

my point is simply aimed at bigdogs request for feedback on the epiphone dr 100 ... wich is a 99 dollar acoustic guitar. and the probability that problems out of the box will exist. sure you could put new tuners and strings on it that would cost as much as the guitar itself after setup... i'll post some of the better cheaper guitars when i get time, untill then....:)
here's a decent one Buy Ibanez AC30NT ARTWOOD SERIES Acoustic Guitar | 6 String Acoustic Guitars | Musician's Friend similar to my first.. also check out the takamines, washburns, silver creeks, and alvarezes. although i can't say any of these are great guitars "in the under 300 dollar range" ..... :)

I'll admit I'm a bit biased but if you truly want an outstanding acoustic guitar you should look into Martin. They have a lower end guitar series called Sigma that will hold up to just about any D-18 I've heard and when you buy a Martin product, you have a lkife long warranty as long as you're the original owner.

If you can find someone who knows alot about guitars they can help you choose the right one for you. It is difficult at first because you have no idea what you want.

Take your time and try a few out in the shop in your price range. I know this won't be easy as you have only been playing for a month but is worth it as you will be able to tell which one suits you best. I bought my Strat after only having played guitar for a few months but as soon as I played it knew it was the right guitar for me. I was a bit worried sat in the middle of the guitar shop playing open chords really badly but it was worth it in the end.

:)

A songwriter buddy of mine played Seagulls for years and finally broke down and bought a Martin. The difference in both sound and playability was like night and day. That said Godins are as good as any low to mid guitars, as are the other brands mentioned here. To me action and playability count heavily especially for beginning players. As you get further along in your playing you will probably want something better and in many cases, that guitar will find you. I fell over a great deal on my Larrivee LV-05E several years ago and it will always be my go to axe for acoustic stuff. Hope this helps.