Daktari

Recording direct to computer ?

Daktari    0

Hi there,

I am new in here and I already posted this question in another thread then I realized this might be more suitable. Here is my question:

Hi there,

I just joined this forum yesterday and already I have a technical question to ask. I am experimenting with playing soukous guitar music from Africa and I am in the process of recording a few pieces, more like a sketch pad really. I am using a BOSS 600 for this which I am just about coping with. I then will have to send anything I record to the computer before I can burn cd's or download onto a site like this for example.

My question: Would it be easier for me to record direct to my home computer and therfore cut out the BOSS 600 stage and if this is possible, what gadgetry would I be needing. Although I have been playing for around 40 years, the technical side/recording I have always been slow with and I fully admit to being a computer blockhead. How does that work. Is there software with virtual guitar amps and effects and how does the guitar signal get converted to a digital signal? HELP.....

Any suggestions for this approach or would I be as well sticking with the BOSS 600 method. It does seem to get pretty good results whether recording direct in or by using the built-in stereo mics to hopefully capture some of the room ambience. I play all my stuff through a BOSE L1 pa system which is great for detailed and accurate reproduction of sounds.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gordon.

P.S. I forgot to mention. As well as guitar for these African style recordings, I also use a djembe drum, a Tacoma acoustic bass, various percussiony things, a bouzouki, auto harp and hopefully soon, a gyil (christmas gift maybe). Thought these extra instruments might effect the computer recording possibilities.

Thanks again, Gordon. :)

Tekker    1

Hi Daktari,

Welcome to the forum! :clap:

Yes, I think it would be much easier to record directly to the computer and bypass the Boss unit. And in my couple of experiences working with friends who used standalone recording units, I think the sound quality is much better when going straight to the computer as well.

Before I get into recommending a bunch of equipment, how much are you looking to spend in total? There is a lot of equipment out there in a variety of price ranges, so I'm sure we can find something that fits within your budget.

To cut out the Boss unit you will need the following:

* An audio interface (this is how your guitar and other instrument signals get converted into digital)

* A couple mics for stereo recording since you will be cutting out the microphones from the Boss unit

* Recording software

There is tons of software for virtual guitar amps and effects. I made a list of the freeware effects that I have used and thought were very good. Many of these I still use even over other commercial plugins that I have because they are THAT good. :winkthumb:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/5735-freebie-list/

Hopefully that answers some of your questions and once we know how much you are looking to spend we can try to find some gear that will fit within your budget.

-tkr

Daktari    0

Hi there,

Thanks Tekker for you reply. I didn't even realize there was programmes to download for free.

However, for the time being, I am going to continue with my Boss BR600. When it comes down to technical stuff I am very slow at picking new things up. I am just starting to understand the Boss with constant glances back at the manual so I will persevere for a while and keep the direct to computer method as a possibility for the future.

Thanks for your advice, Gordon.:smilinguitar:

RobertM    0

You might want to look into this. It has inputs for instruments like electric guitar plus it is a mic as well. It's a straight to computer connection through USB. I've got one on order right now so I can't give you a personal opinion yet but the reviews are good. I had hoped to post a recording of the new Takamine guitar I bought but so far, the recordings sound like crap. I'm not sure if it's my cheap mixer, a bad mic or whatever (most of my stuff is old) but I hope to have the problem fixed soon. I've got some stuff I want to share.

Daktari    0

Thanks Robert for that tip.

I read the reviews and it certainly sounds very promising. If I decide to have a go at the computer route that is worth bearing in mind for sure. Let us know how you get on with yours once you have it figured out.

Gordon.