hb

Audacity question!

Lately, I have been using Audacity quite regularly and it has worked fine. When I opened it today, I opened a track that I have used extensively on it and began recording on top of it. Everything seemed normal until I went back and played the recording and found that my guitar is not in time with the recording. It seems like it's off 2 or 3 beats. I tried opening another track that I have been using and it's doing the same thing. Can someone tell me why the tracks are not lining up and how to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance,

hb

That sounds like a latency problem. Latency is basically the amount of time that it takes for your sound card and computer to process the signal. This is likely a sound card or a sound card driver issue as some sound cards and drivers have higher latency than others.

Upgrading your sound card should fix this problem. Are you still considering upgrading? Any of the M-Audio cards recommended in your other thread will greatly reduce the latency so your tracks will sync up.

-tkr

That sounds like a latency problem. Latency is basically the amount of time that it takes for your sound card and computer to process the signal. This is likely a sound card or a sound card driver issue as some sound cards and drivers have higher latency than others.

Upgrading your sound card should fix this problem. Are you still considering upgrading? Any of the M-Audio cards recommended in your other thread will greatly reduce the latency so your tracks will sync up.

-tkr

Yes, I would like to upgrade but am thinking that maybe Santa might bring me one......dunno! Would like to visit more about this with you in the near future.

As for the Audacity, let me throw this wrinkle at you. I am using an older version of Audacity, but have a newer version on my computer. I have never used the newer version as I would rather play the guitar than try to learn the new tweaks of the new version, thus it has just sat on my computer. This being said, it was the older version that got to mis-aligning the tracks and I got to reading about the latency issue. Then I opened the new version of Audacity and opened and recorded over the same files and there seemed to be no issues with this program. I thought I might fix the problem I had with the older program and continue with it, but now that I see that the new program is working fine, I will probably just start using it. But am I correct in saying that if it WAS a latency issue that BOTH programs would have about the same problem?????

thanks,

hb

But am I correct in saying that if it WAS a latency issue that BOTH programs would have about the same problem?????

Not necessarily, because the latency is a combination of both the sound card and the recording program. You can also set the latency within the recording program, but the default settings should not cause any problems.

It's possible that the newer version is more efficient and produced a lower latency, but it's also possible that a setting got changed accidentally in the old version that caused the latency problems. If the newer version fixed the problem, then I'd stick with it and not worry about the old version then.

Yes, I would like to upgrade but am thinking that maybe Santa might bring me one......dunno! Would like to visit more about this with you in the near future.

Sounds good, if you have any more questions feel free to fire away! :winkthumb:

-tkr

Not necessarily, because the latency is a combination of both the sound card and the recording program. You can also set the latency within the recording program, but the default settings should not cause any problems.

It's possible that the newer version is more efficient and produced a lower latency, but it's also possible that a setting got changed accidentally in the old version that caused the latency problems. If the newer version fixed the problem, then I'd stick with it and not worry about the old version then.

Sounds good, if you have any more questions feel free to fire away! :winkthumb:

-tkr

For what it's worth....The old Audacity had always worked fine, but the last time it worked properly, I got a message saying that Audacity was running short on...memory?...power?...or something, and I had never gotten this message before, so I just saved my stuff and shut it down. The next time I tried to use it, it started mis-aligning the files. So perhaps some type of setting got changed...if so, do you know where one might look to re-set it? Might be handy to know for future reference!

thanks,

hb

So perhaps some type of setting got changed...if so, do you know where one might look to re-set it? Might be handy to know for future reference!

It could also be that particular file got corrupted somehow (stuff like that can happen occasionally). Try creating a new project in the old Audacity program and see if it still has the same problem.

I'm not familiar with Audacity so I don't know specifically where to find the latency settings, but there is probably an Options or Preferences menu that would have the recording and latency settings. Maybe someone more familiar with Audacity can chime in here. :) I also don't know if you can "reset" it back to the original settings, you may have to look at the new version you installed to see what the original settings were or try re-installing the old version as that should put everything back to the default settings.

-tkr

Keeping a lot of tracks open uses a bunch of memory. What I used to do when I was mixing an hour long podcast was mix down the finished tracks into one track and then re-import it. That way I could continue on. If your happy with several parts, go ahead and mix them into one stereo track. You should be able to continue overdubbing without problem.

Keeping a lot of tracks open uses a bunch of memory.

If your happy with several parts, go ahead and mix them into one stereo track. You should be able to continue overdubbing without problem.

Plain audio tracks shouldn't use up much memory. I've had well over 40 tracks in a project (most of them were different drum takes as each take has 8 channels) plus effects plugins without any problems. Certain plugins can eat up a lot of memory but if you aren't using memory intensive plugins you should be fine.

The problem with mixing down is you can't go back and edit the tracks later (without re-importing the original tracks). What sounds good at one time may not sound so good when you overdub another instrument so it's best to wait until you have all the tracks recorded before you start mixing.

-tkr

-tkr

Tekker: I was looking at the M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface that you recommended and I see that it comes with a microphone "jack" on the front panel, but don't see if it comes with a mic or not. Is this something that I should plan on buying in addition to the Firewire? Just something I need to know in order to let Santa know just how good I've been this year!

Tekker: I was looking at the M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface that you recommended and I see that it comes with a microphone "jack" on the front panel, but don't see if it comes with a mic or not.

No, it doesn't come with a mic. How much are you looking to spend on a mic? And what kinds of things will you be recording with it (vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, etc)?

-tkr

No, it doesn't come with a mic. How much are you looking to spend on a mic? And what kinds of things will you be recording with it (vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, etc)?

-tkr

I don't really know, after spending a couple hundred on the system, I wouldn't want to spend but another $30 to $60 on a mic....don't know if this is doable or not??? My wife already thinks that I have too many toys!

I would be recording acoustic and electric guitar only.

I also see that I need an Onboard FireWire connection or installed FireWire PCI card. What all does this imply???

Sorry so stupid!

Thanking you in advance,

hb

I don't really know, after spending a couple hundred on the system, I wouldn't want to spend but another $30 to $60 on a mic....don't know if this is doable or not??? My wife already thinks that I have too many toys!

I would be recording acoustic and electric guitar only.

Yep, that is doable. GLS Audio ES-57 ($40)

I've heard many say they like the GLS Audio ES-57 better than the Shure SM57 (which is an industry standard mic for guitar amps and costs $99).

I also see that I need an Onboard FireWire connection or installed FireWire PCI card. What all does this imply???

Firewire is a connection type (like USB, but better and faster :)). So if your computer does not already have Firewire connections then you would need a PCI card (a card that plugs into the motherboard on your computer) and provides the firewire connection like this one Newegg.com - SIIG 3-port 1394 (FireWire) PCI adapter Model NN-400012-S8 - Add-On Cards

There are cheaper Firewire cards, I saw some on newegg for under $10 but didn't have very good reviews. I know that SIIG cards are very good as I have one myself and they are highly recommended on the M-Audio user forum.

-tkr

You are a wealth of information! Have you ever considered opening up a computer store....or better yet.......a book on "Recording on a computer for dummies" !

hb

You are a wealth of information! Have you ever considered opening up a computer store....or better yet.......a book on "Recording on a computer for dummies" !

Thanks for the kind comments hb. :)

I don't have any books or anything, but Kirk and Clancy were kind enough to provide subforums for a few GfB members (Fretsource, SolidWalnut, Neilsonite, and myself) to host some tutorials.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/members-guitar-lessons-articles/

The info I have in my forum has been mostly dedicated to recording (with a few other guitar/music related lessons tossed in) so in a way it's kind of a recording eBook, but for free. :winkthumb:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/13004-lesson-index-start-here/

-tkr

Tekker:

I was looking over your tutorial on mics and cannot find any info, so I'll ask.....How does one know that if I get the M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface, as you suggested, which, if any, of these mics will correctly plug into the unit?????

thanks,

hb

Tekker:

I was looking over your tutorial on mics and cannot find any info, so I'll ask.....How does one know that if I get the M-Audio Firewire Solo Audio Interface, as you suggested, which, if any, of these mics will correctly plug into the unit?????

The vast majority of mics all have the same connection, which is called XLR and looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Xlr-connectors.jpg/800px-Xlr-connectors.jpg

There are some other mic connections types such as 1/4" and USB mics, but 1/4" connectors are mostly for cheap "Wal-Mart brand" mics and USB mics are not nearly as common as XLR. When you're looking at mics, if the mic has three prongs as shown in the image above, then it is an XLR mic and it will plug into the M-Audio Firewire Solo.

Hope that helps. :)

-tkr

It helps a bunch!.....thanks.

hb

You're welcome!

And I should also add that the GLS Audio ES-57 mic I recommended before is XLR and will work with the M-Audio interface.

-tkr

Tekker:

I see that the firewire plugin you recommended is a 3 port, for about $50. How many ports would I need? I am just recording one guitar, possibly over other tracks, and would want to record, (at times), two amps that are plugged into one guitar. (An Ibanez that has two different amp jacks).

thanks again,

hb

Tekker:

I see that the firewire plugin you recommended is a 3 port, for about $50. How many ports would I need?

Just one as the M-Audio unit only needs one firewire port to plug into the computer. I posted the SIIG card because I know it works great with M-Audio products as that's the one I have and it was also highly recommended on the M-Audio forum.

If you want to keep the costs down, you could always try another brand with only one firewire port and return it if you have problems with it. Some of the ratings I was looking at for cheaper firewire cards had pretty poor reviews on newegg. So test it out thoroughly before deciding on keeping it. :winkthumb:

-tkr

Tekker:

My local computer store, (which is 30 miles away!), had this firewire adapter in stock.

SIIG 3-Port FireWire Adapter 2 EXT 1 INT - NN440012S8 - Compare Prices, View Price Trends and Read Reviews at PriceSCAN

Although they want more for it than on the internet, do you feel like it would work good with the M-Audio Interface that you recommended?

I have only used the one SIIG card that I have, but from all the great things I've heard about SIIG I imagine that will work good. :winkthumb:

-tkr