hb

Help with recording

Thanks for the encouragement!!..I need it!

I have read everything that came with the firebox, but it says nothing about what type of jacks that are mounted on the front. I have never came across a jack that looks like this. It is listed as "mic and instrument". I have attached a photo for viewing. Please advise!!

FYI, the way I have recorded before on my computer is: Guitar with cable to amp, then cord from "headphones" on my amp to the "line in" jack on the computer. Then I use Audacity to work with my recording. I have occasionally use the "mic in" instead of the "line in", but was never satisfied with the results. I am assuming that since I still just have only the little $2 mic that came with the computer, that "line in" is still what I would plug into the firebox?

8690.attach

As OldG said, those inputs will take either a standard 1/4" mono plug (like on your guitar cable), or an XLR plug, as found on some microphones.

I am assuming that since I still just have only the little $2 mic that came with the computer, that "line in" is still what I would plug into the firebox?

Plug the mic into input #1 on the front of the Firebox (or input #2, it doesn't matter as long as you select the proper input before you start recording). If your mic has a 1/8" plug on it, you'll have to buy a 1/8" - 1/4" adapter to make it fit....the adapter doesn't cost more than a couple dollars and you can find them at Radio Shack or similar type stores.

As long as the headphone jack on your amp is also suitable as a "line out / rec out", you'd just go basically the same way you've been doing - plug your guitar into the amp, then the line out jack from the amp into one of the inputs on the front of the Firebox.

As long as the headphone jack on your amp is also suitable as a "line out / rec out", you'd just go basically the same way you've been doing - plug your guitar into the amp, then the line out jack from the amp into one of the inputs on the front of the Firebox.

So if not using the mic, and wanting to go directly to the computer, I can use one of the front jacks on the firebox, thus, I don't have to use the "line-in" jack on the back????

Thanks to both for all the help!

hb

Congrats HB, gotta luv that santa ;)

Yep...your firebox is actually replacing/bypassing your soundcard in your computer, your computer recognizes it{firebox} via the firewire or usb connection. So you are correct, you no longer need to use the line-in or the mic-in bvuilt-in on your pc. If you want to use your amp then as Mac said, go from the amp's line out to one of your inputs on the firebox. You could also go directly to your computer recording program for your mic or guitar 'without' using the guitars amp, by taking either's cable directly into an input of the firebox{again... with the proper connecting end}.

If , but more than likely, when...you decide to record both a mic and guitar at the same time, or simply have them 'both' connected and ready to go one way or the other, you'll need to choose the correct settings in your recording app for each track, as to which track records from which input line...but I've rambled so much here already saying nothing much that you'll be better off to wait until your at that bridge before getting into that...it's simple but every recording app has different steps to get there.

If , but more than likely, when...you decide to record both a mic and guitar at the same time, or simply have them 'both' connected and ready to go one way or the other, you'll need to choose the correct settings in your recording app for each track, as to which track records from which input line...but I've rambled so much here already saying nothing much that you'll be better off to wait until your at that bridge before getting into that...it's simple but every recording app has different steps to get there.

HB mentioned that he's using Audacity...and if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I used it), Audacity only allows you to record one track at a time and I don't think it will accept multiple inputs for the track...so that won't be an issue until if/when he starts using Reaper or one of the other DAW software packages that allows simultaneous multi-track recording.

...thus, I don't have to use the "line-in" jack on the back????

Correct. Go right into one of your front inputs.

Congrats hb on your new toy. I remember how complicated it all seemed a year or so ago when I got my usb interface, but once you rig it up and start using it, you'll take all this for granted and get side-swiped by a whole new swag of learning curves, guaranteed. :laughingg:

...and get side-swiped by a whole new swag of learning curves, guaranteed.

You hit that one right on the head, Carol! Once you "master" the bare basics of getting set up and recording, it opens your eyes to a whole new world of issues. It's like the old saying goes, "The more I learn, the less I know!".

Well, after spending the day on the net trying to figure out what was wrong, I'm back to square one, so I'll tuck my tail between my legs and ask the forum.

I installed drivers, everything loaded fine. Firewire ports installed and plugged in correctly....., then Audacity wouldn't recognize Firebox. At least not through the "meter" in audacity, or when opening up the "record". So hey, being the expert that I am, I went to edit/preferences/devices and sure enough, I had to set the recording device to: PreSonus Firebox mic/instrum 1/2.

Still nothing....so I went to control panel/sounds and audio/ and yes, there was the box to check for: PreSonus Firebox mic/instrum 1/2. So I did.

Closed everything and started back up and guess what? Nothing is coming through to Audacity that I can tell!

The only difference that I saw is that before I changed all this, I had the option in Audacity to use : Mic In or Line In or Front Mic or Stereo. And now after the changes I made, the only option I have in Audacity in "Line In".

Any ideas? :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Well done, but don't forget how you did it. Was it to do with the Audacity preferences - or something really embarrassing like not turning the volume up? Yes, I've done that before now.

Well, I wasn't going to tell anyone, but since you asked.....I went back and set everything up like I had it before I got the firebox, and saw that I was not even getting a signal to Audacity with my previous settings. When I unplugged the amp from the computer I could then tell that I had no signal to the amp. My guitar has an on-board tuner on it so that if you want to tune it, you push a tiny button and it kills the signal to the pu's. Somehow this TINY button got pushed in and was not letting the signal out! Could have been the grandkids, or perhaps Santa was playing with me when he left the Firebox! Whatever, it sure makes one feel silly!

hb

...Whatever, it sure makes one feel silly!

No worries - I doubt there's anybody who hasn't had a "D'OH!" moment at one time or another! :yes: Glad to hear you got it working.

While I've got everyone's attention, (and giggling at me!), I do have a question that has a little merit to it. The firebox DOES NOT have an on/off switch. I have researched this, and found it to be correct. Some say that the box gets hot to the touch when running 24/7. I know that part of the Firewire connections clam to fame, is the ability to plug in and out with the computer on. Does anyone have a take on hotplugging on and off with the computer on and programs running?

Thanks again,

hb

Hey hb,

You should be fine to hot swap with the firebox.

The m-audio unit I have cannot be hot swapped, but that is a problem with m-audio itself, not with Firewire in general. However, a friend of mine who also has the same m-audio interface as me has hot swapped with it and so far it still works (I'm not about to do it with mine though lol).

-tkr

I always unplug my Firebox when I'm done using it. Part of the reason is that I use a laptop for recording, so it doesn't stay at the desk full-time. There are no problems with hot-swapping it - but if you want to be safe just to make 100% sure, shut your computer down before unplugging it. It should be fine either way, though.

I always unplug my Firebox when I'm done using it. Part of the reason is that I use a laptop for recording, so it doesn't stay at the desk full-time. There are no problems with hot-swapping it - but if you want to be safe just to make 100% sure, shut your computer down before unplugging it. It should be fine either way, though.

Thanks..............you would have thought that they could have put a two dollar switch on it and saved some aggravation! But I guess that shows how spoiled we all get with technology!

hb

Yep. I found it odd that they didn't also - but like you said, we do get spoiled with everything we have nowadays! I'm just glad I don't have to do my track editing with scissors and scotch tape, like they did in the analog days! :yes:

Yep. I found it odd that they didn't also - but like you said, we do get spoiled with everything we have nowadays! I'm just glad I don't have to do my track editing with scissors and scotch tape, like they did in the analog days! :yes:

Yes, indeed! Just think for a moment on how much the internet has brought everyone in every environment, into so much knowledge about things. If the same number of people were trying to do this 20 years ago, 99% would have given up on their first try. I guess that goes to show that the internet does enhance knowledge to a great degree if it's used right.

I am constantly amazed at the knowledge that it puts at the tip of my fingers! If only I was smart enough to use it!

thanks for the help.

hb

...I guess that goes to show that the internet does enhance knowledge to a great degree if it's used right...

If you ever want your faith in the concept of "the internet does enhance knowledge" utterly and completely destroyed, just go to almost any YouTube video and read the comments left by the majority of viewers! :isaynothing::yes: It scares me to think there are really that many people who are that immature and illiterate in today's world, with all this knowledge available right at anybody's fingertips.

Kidding (or not) aside, I get your point. It is absolutely amazing that you can post a question about some relatively complex (or even obscure) technical issue and receive several good answers from all around the world in a matter of minutes/hours! Your thread here is a perfect example...you've gotten replies from Australia, Canada, the UK, and several U.S. states pretty much coast-to-coast, helping you to get through this and get to recording. Now that is awesome!

I agree totally....go back 20 years and you would have your local telephone directory out, looking in the yellow pages for technical advice. Doesn't take much guessing to figure out how far that would have taken you!

hb