hb

Help with recording

hb    0

After adjusting my guitar and amp to the sound I want, I can get a pretty decent sound through my mic and record on Audacity. I used Tekker's comments on recording to connect the amp to the line-in jack and I can record properly and by using the instructions, I can keep it from clipping, but the problem is, that the recording seems to sound crappy and loses a lot of the effects from the amp. Not so when going through the mic, but through line-in, I just can't seem to keep the correct sound captured via this route. Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

hb

carol m    64

As far as I know, if your sound is going thru Line In you are using the computers sound card which is not ideal for music recording. I found the onboard soundcards on Macs much better than on PCs but most people who record here would be using some sort of interface hardware with its own soundcard designed for music recording.

There are lots available and quite a few different configurations - some are usb, some firewire, and some you install inside tthe cabinet. I use a Tascam 122 I got off ebay which works fine. Like everything else you can go for something basic, or something with many inputs, with or without phantom power for condenser mics, with or without MIDI etc.

It took me about 6 months to work out what they all do and which type/configuration I wanted. There are threads in The Home Studio covering this and also in Tekker's lessons. Maybe if you check out the threads I started while struggling to understand them a year or so ago you might get some idea. There were some links to useful sites from members in those threads as well.

hb    0

Thanks Carol......I'll look into that. What would you suggest that would be very user friendly and not cost an arm and a leg? I don't need a whole studio....just the basics, I guess!

hb

Tekker    1

Hi hb,

If you can give us some info on your needs for the recording interface, then we can give you some specific recommendations. There are a lot of options out there, so we should be able to find something that will meet your needs and stay within budget.

1) How much are you looking to spend?

2) How many channels will you need to record at once?

3) Are you going to be recording using microphones (for singing or miking instruments) or will you only be plugging in direct?

4) Do you already have a recording program? If so, which one?

5) What kind of computer are you using? If you are using a laptop, then that will rule out any CPI audio interfaces and you'll have to either go with firewire or USB to plug into the laptop.

-tkr

hb    0
Hi hb,

If you can give us some info on your needs for the recording interface, then we can give you some specific recommendations. There are a lot of options out there, so we should be able to find something that will meet your needs and stay within budget.

1) How much are you looking to spend?

2) How many channels will you need to record at once?

3) Are you going to be recording using microphones (for singing or miking instruments) or will you only be plugging in direct?

4) Do you already have a recording program? If so, which one?

5) What kind of computer are you using? If you are using a laptop, then that will rule out any CPI audio interfaces and you'll have to either go with firewire or USB to plug into the laptop.

-tkr

I just want the recording to sound like it does to the naked ear when playing it. I don't want it to sound like it's coming through a tunnel or being funneled through a whistle!.

As far as channels are concerned.....I'm pretty dumb on this, but all I do now is play on top of other tracks, hope this answers that question.

There would be no singing as if I sang, I'm sure I would crash the computer!

I am using Audacity for recording.

I am using Windows XP home edition and it is fairly new with lots of free space and speed.

Hope this answers you questions.....thanks for the help.

hb

Tekker    1
As far as channels are concerned.....I'm pretty dumb on this, but all I do now is play on top of other tracks, hope this answers that question.

Channels would essentially be how many instruments or mics you record at the same time. If you are just playing guitar then you'd only need one channel for the guitar. Where if you wanted to sing at the same time, then you'd need one for guitar and one for your vocal mic also.

There would be no singing as if I sang, I'm sure I would crash the computer!

LOL! I'm the same way, I don't sing either. :D

I am using Windows XP home edition and it is fairly new with lots of free space and speed.hb

By type of computer, I mean is it a laptop or a desktop PC. The reason I ask is that laptops don't have PCI slots, so if I recommend a PCI audio interface it wouldn't work with a laptop.

I think either way a two channel firewire device would do you very well. The only bit of info I need now is, how much are you looking to spend on it? The price will likely be the deciding factor on the interface as there are a lot of options in different price ranges.

Here's a good one for $200 (hopefully that's not to much). It has one mic input as well as a guitar input, so you can plug your guitar straight into the interface and use effects to make the guitar sounds.

M-Audio Firewire Solo USB Interface from zZounds.com

You can also plug your amp into the two line inputs on the back of the unit (like you've been doing currently).

Another thing that may help your guitar sound is miking your amp instead of using the amp's line output. The line out from the amp usually doesn't sound as good as the sound coming out of the amp's speaker(s). Try plugging some headphones into the amp's line out (or headphone out) and see if it sounds the same way it does when it's recorded.

-tkr

carol m    64

Don't forget the phantom power option. hb: there are several different types of microphones. Broadly they divide into Dynamic or Condenser. Tekker could probably explain the difference better than me. A condenser mic is generally more sensitve and picks up more detail, but is often more expensive, but you can get cheap and expensive of anything including both types of mics. A condenser mic requires your unit to have Phantom power while a dynamic mic doesn't. Just something to consider when choosing.

BTW I can't believe I'm advising someone on recording equipment! That's what hanging around at GFB will do for you.

hb    0

Thanks to both of you....I'll look into this further.....I'm sure there will be follow-up questions! And Tekker.....my computer is a desktop pc

hb

hb    0

Thanks for all the help, but before I go any further, I must disclose my stupidity......with the suggestions from above, just WHAT do these products DO???? My knowledge, thus far with recording, is limited to a computer, a guitar, an amp, and Audacity. Outside of this box, I know nothing!

HELP!

hb

carol m    64

The sound you make with your guitar +/- amp goes into the unit via the unit's line in or a mic in (or both). There is usually a volume control on each input. The sound goes through the unit's sound card and bipasses your computer's inferior sound card and on into your computer as if it had gone in through your computer's sound card via the computer's line in. It gives you a much clearer, natural sound with no interference, hissing, buzzing, interference etc.

There is usually a headphone jack on the unit so you can hear what you are playing directly. There are also various other line in and line out for monitors etc if you want to use them.

They are designed for audio recording and therefore give you a decent sound with no interference compared with just using the computer's line in which is usually gives a really bad recorded sound. Macs soundcards are better than pc's but not as good as an external sound card/interface.

If you get one with a MIDI in and out you can also hook up a keyboard through it.

Stratrat    0

hb - I'm not Tekker (and don't claim to have his expertise!), but that unit should do everything you need it to do. It has both 1/4" and XLR inputs (so you can use either your guitar or a mic), 48V phantom power so it will work with either dynamic or condenser mics, and a stereo headphone output (useful for tracking/monitoring/mixing). There are plenty of options out there, but that doesn't look like a bad choice. The only advice I'd give you is to also check out the PreSonus Firebox before you pull the trigger - for the same price you get more simultaneous inputs, so you're covered for the future if/when you want to track more than one instrument at once.

Either way, I'm sure you'll notice a big difference in the sound quality of your recordings over using the onboard computer sound card! :winkthumb:

hb    0
hb - I'm not Tekker (and don't claim to have his expertise!), but that unit should do everything you need it to do. It has both 1/4" and XLR inputs (so you can use either your guitar or a mic), 48V phantom power so it will work with either dynamic or condenser mics, and a stereo headphone output (useful for tracking/monitoring/mixing). There are plenty of options out there, but that doesn't look like a bad choice. The only advice I'd give you is to also check out the PreSonus Firebox before you pull the trigger - for the same price you get more simultaneous inputs, so you're covered for the future if/when you want to track more than one instrument at once.

Either way, I'm sure you'll notice a big difference in the sound quality of your recordings over using the onboard computer sound card! :winkthumb:

Is this the one you're talking about?

Buy PreSonus FireBox 24-bit/96kHz FireWire Recording System | Audio Interfaces & Convertors | Audio Interfaces | Musician's Friend

hb

hb    0

Stratrat:

Am I correct in saying that the PreSonus Firebox is capable of handling midis, but the M-Audio is not?

thnx,

hb

Stratrat    0

Yep, that's the one. I've owned mine for a while now - used it on both PCs and Macs, and am very pleased with it. It's well-built, compact/portable and simple to use. I used it with Audacity on the PC, and GarageBand on the Mac - in both cases, my playing and singing abilities were the limiting factor for sound quality, not the interface! :yes:

Am I correct in saying that the PreSonus Firebox is capable of handling midis, but the M-Audio is not?

It would appear so; I don't see a MIDI input on the M-Audio unit.

Tekker    1

The Presonus Firebox does look really good. It looks like it both of the inputs can be used as mic, line in, or instrument so that gives more flexibility than the M-Audio unit. Plus, having individual volume controls for headphones and main speakers on interface itself is a big plus.

I think I would go with the Firebox. :winkthumb:

-tkr

hb    0

Hey Tekker............I think that Santa has left me a Firebox interface under the tree!

I hope that you are a glutton for punishment, as I can forsee an array of screaming and head-banging when trying to understand all this!

If you want to un-subscribe from this thread, I fully understand!

Thanks for your help,

hb

Tekker    1
Hey Tekker............I think that Santa has left me a Firebox interface under the tree!

:yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh:

I hope that you are a glutton for punishment

Well, I'm in my 7th year of college... Does that answer your question? :D

-tkr

hb    0

7th year of college??? !!!!!...That's 6 1/2 years more than I have!

I opened the instructions tonight, and felt my blood pressure rising to dangerous levels, so I just closed the box back up for now!

hb

Stratrat    0

Congrats, hb - I think you'll love it! Actually, hooking it up and getting everything running isn't that daunting...what makes my blood pressure rise is when I push that red "Record" button! :yes:

If you're keeping it nice and simple: follow the installation instructions for the drivers, then hook the FW cable up. Put your headphones and mic/instrument into the right input holes, adjust your levels so you're not clipping, and you're in business - easy as pie! :winkthumb: If you're using speakers/studio monitors, just plug them into the "Main Out" jacks on the back.