carol m

Poor Sam Stone

I used the character from the famous song, and pinched a title from another in this one. I can imagine these lines being put to several styles of music. I'm not going to try to put them to music myself, but would be very pleased if anyone else wanted to give them a go - any style - chop change, add subtract, any thing you like.

It doesn't have a chorus as such, but the repeated 8 bars at the end of each verse are a sort fo chorus/refrain.

Poor Sam Stone

Poor Sam Stone - died alone

Sister Morphine, takes care of her own

She knew how to help him, find his way home

He died in her arms, took him out of his Hell..... 4 x 4 bars

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell. 2 x 4 bars

Sat one night, in a downtown diner

Watched all the people, living best they can

Only the fear, made him get this far

A man on his own, one more burnt out shell (4 x 4)

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell

Love only happened, to everyone else

No promises made, had ever been kept

No point in trying, couldn't see his way through

Sitting alone, how could anyone tell (4 x 4)

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell.

Lived his life, much like any other

Some say he still loved her, that he just got tired

Drifted one night, to a cheap motel

Sister Morphine, would take care of him well (4 x 4)

Poor Sam Stone - -

Ring the bell.

bridge/climax/outro sort of thing:

Who knows if she loved him, he never could tell

Two kids and no job - couldn't blame her for leaving

He knew that he'd failed her, couldn't ask her to stay

Too much booze in his bones, too much anger and pain (4 x 4)

He turned to the friend, he knew he could trust

To take care of business, without any fuss

She took him down easy, he just floated away

She knew how to help him, find his way out of Hell (4 x 4)

Poor Sam Stone

Ring the bell.

Nice one Carol, but why for me? ie: (4 x 4)

did someone let the cat out of the bag? lol

Could be some fun here if you'd record the vox, then we could all have a try at putting them to music ;)

Cool, if someone can build a tune on this wouldn't mind singing it, I've done this with a loop as I was feeling a bit jazzy, short demo with a couple of verses, replaced diner with bar but it's only temporary question of phrasing on this run, not perfect, don't know if it's what you want Carol but I enjoyed singing it :thumbup1:

Cheers

Chris

SAM STONE (idea).mp3

Wow, is that left field or what??? I'm impressed! There I was thinking it needed a long tall texan finger-picker in a hat, but you put a whole different style to it.

I tried earlier today to fit the lyrics to one (or any) of my collection of backing tracks and found there were a lot of words to the bar! Maybe the 4 x 4 should be more like 8 x 4 - that would make Kenny think twice!

I also thought that maybe the repeated 2 lines Poor Sam Stone, ring the bell. was a bit awkward since almost every tune has 4 lines of 4 beats to the bar.

Thanks for giving it a shot - your voice is excellent in any style (you lucky dog) and the recording was so clear and 'present' - it was great. :claping:

Wow, is that left field or what??? I'm impressed! There I was thinking it needed a long tall texan finger-picker in a hat, but you put a whole different style to it.

I tried earlier today to fit the lyrics to one (or any) of my collection of backing tracks and found there were a lot of words to the bar! Maybe the 4 x 4 should be more like 8 x 4 - that would make Kenny think twice!

I also thought that maybe the repeated 2 lines Poor Sam Stone, ring the bell. was a bit awkward since almost every tune has 4 lines of 4 beats to the bar.

Thanks for giving it a shot - your voice is excellent in any style (you lucky dog) and the recording was so clear and 'present' - it was great. :claping:

That was just what hit me when I saw the lyrics Carol, I've been listening to a lot of Jazz recently and it seemed to fit this subject, glad you liked it, that was a real on the fly demo.

It is a bit wordy, would it be ok to jiggle it around a bit, I was tripping over some of the words so would like to tighten it up a bit and flow a bit more with the Genre, you'll find if you mess around with it a bit you will be able to fit it into one of your tracks but it might need a bit of a rewrite, I didn't realise your thoughts were in the other direction, wouldn't mind carrying on with this, that loop isn't enough though so might have to look for another tune don't have the skills or the instruments to do that so I'll need some help, anyone play the Double Bass ?

Cheers Carol, nice song

Chris

sailor,

That was off the wall super. Really Frank Sinatra like.

Loved it.

Fun lyrics on the Carol m

Thanks Eddie, just started as a mess around but I'd like to keep on with it, appreciate you having a listen, hope you and you're family are all well:winkthumb:

All The Best

Chris

would it be ok to jiggle it around a bit, I was tripping over some of the words so would like to tighten it up a bit and flow a bit more with the Genre.

Chris

Jiggle away my friend! Don't worry at all that I was thinking Texan country eg Sam Baker, coz I was also thinking Rap! Never thought jazzy, but that's what I love when I post lyrics - people come up with all sorts of ideas and I try to learn from that, seeing as how I almost never have any ideas of my own.

We used to have a school double bass parked in the corner but it's long gone. Maybe it's time to go ebaying again? A bass guitar can sometimes be made to sound like an acoustic bass I believe but I've never tried. I've even been checking out cheap cellos on youtube but really my guitar playing is what needs help most.

A keyboard can also be made to sound like a bass if you are clever with vst plugins.

did someone let the cat out of the bag?

I'm not sure which cat you are referring to, Kenny - I checked out our cat and she's definitely still in her bag - maybe you were referring to my Yoko Ono 'singing' experiments I was trying the other day?

I'm not sure which cat you are referring to, Kenny - I checked out our cat and she's definitely still in her bag - maybe you were referring to my Yoko Ono 'singing' experiments I was trying the other day?

"let the cat out of the bag" : to disclose a secret, to let a secret be known; often inadvertently :isaynothing:;)

Just noticed this - very amusing, I'm sure. It might be fun for all you lot, but I don't see myself volunteering as a cyber Aunt Sally thanks all the same

.Aunt Sally - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whats that old saying? you only hurt the ones you love...your safe Sally :laughingg:

Nicely written there Carol!Keep up the good work and keep them posts coming!

Chris,

you did a great job with the arrangement and your singing!I really liked that demo!Maybe you can find some time and finish the song,I would like to listen to that. :claping:

All the best,

Theo

What's up everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. Hopefully I posted this in the right section!

Hello to you back!The right place would be the Introduce Yourself subforum.Press Forum Home on the top left of the page,search for the Introduce Yourself subforum and enter,click Start New Thread and make your introduction there.You will get a lot more responses.Anyway,welcome to the forum :) ...