Donahueghs

Second guitar - acoustic?

I have been playing electric guitar for a couple of months and I'm really enjoying it. But I just realised most of the songs I've learnt so far have been played on acoustic and I don't use the amp on my electric much anyway...

So I'd like to buy an acoustic so I have an electric and acoustic. Plus I really like the sound of acoustics. I tried my friends acoustic out and I found it really hard to get my arm around the body.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good acoustic guitar that I could play? :smilinguitar: An electric/acoustic would be fine too.

Cheers

Donahueghs

Donahueghs,

I could recommend several good quality guitars in a wide price range (not sure what your comfort level might be), but the best advice I could give is to go to a local guitar store and play as many as possible. As with your friends, some are larger than others some smaller with narrower fret boards and some have a bigger sound. If you play enough you will find one that fits your body, your wallet and your lifestyle. Good luck on your journey.

I started on electric as my first guitar too. A bought an acoustic for my second guitar. If I could go back and do it all over again, I should have bought an acoustic/electric instead. It's more expensive, but you get the best of both worlds. Plus, I think acoustic/electrics sound amazing when they're plugged in.

The best advice with acoustics is what everyone has already said, go out and play as many as you can. For me, my biggest criteria was the neck. I'm really pick out my neck feel and playability. You'll find a wider variety of neck shapes with acoustics as compared to electrics, at least I did.

My acoustic is a Yamaha FS735. It's a lower middle price range guitar that really did it for me. It played smoother than others for me and really had the tinny/folk sound that I was looking for out of an acoustic. For an acoustic/electric I plan on buying the Takamine 363SC. It's absolutely gorgeous and has a very sweet sound. I'm finding them for around $500. I also liked the playability and sound of the Seagull Mini Jumbo.

Good advice. Try as many guitars as you can in your price range. I found my last guitar by accident when the guy in the shop said to try it when I was play testing several guitars. I knew at once it was the one for me and bought it the same day. It was a Faith Eclipse Venus electro acoustic. Solid wood and I found it came with a proper hard case when I paid for it. It sounds good plugged or unplugged which is what I was after.