dacrooz02

Which Squier Strat is Good?? What's the difference?

dacrooz02    0

hye all i want to buy my first electric guitar. I have my eyes on Fender stratocaster which is for me is really suit for me as i love to play like blues rock and a bit punk..but then again, it's too much for my allowance to afford it, so i think better get myself an entry level guitar. So i do researching and quite prefer Squier strat as they are cheaper and affordable. But i'm confused, which should i get? i heard affinity series is not really good, so as bullet..but i also heard good things about them. So i just want to clarified things from everyone who are far more experienced here :D should i get squier strat? if so, which squier strat should i get? Many thanks :D

karcey    42

G'day Dacrooz02, Welcome to the forum.

My first new guitar was a Fender, but it's now certainly not the best guitar I own. So the first tip is, don't buy a guitar because it has a particular name on it.

As you see and hear more guitars you realise that your money may have been better spent on a guitar like someone else owns. So the second tip is to look at, hold, try, touch, feel as many electric guitars as you can until you start to recognise what you like and what you don't. Check out the weight and the shape of the neck, and how it feels on a strap.

Owning guitars is a bit of a disease, and there isn't a cure. You will buy more than one. In fact you could quite comfortably own a dozen or more. So the third tip is to not break the bank on any guitar believing it will be your one and only. It won't.

So from where you are at present I'd say find an electric in a shop that turns you on right now and is in your price range. Make sure you love it and want to marry it. It will see you through until you can choose the pickups you like best, and the amp that makes the noise you like, as well as the weight, thickness, shape etc.

Some of the Fender stuff is really really nice. Many guitarists wouldn't touch Fender again if it was a gift. Same goes for all manufacturers.

Keep looking and let us know what you find.

Rgds

Karcey

GotDeeBlues    3

Squiers are good guitars, but quality can be a hit or miss thing. Some are very close to spot on out of the box, others take some set up work to be their best. You are right about the Bullet and Affinity lines, go for the standard Squier Strat or one with 2 Single coil and one humbucker pick up(Fat Strat). If you can deal with a local music shop, you can try a few different ones before buying. Quite often a smaller shop will do a basic setup for you at purchase. Hope this helps.

Stratrat    0

IMO, Squier's quality control seems to have improved over the last few years. My Affinity (Tele, not Strat) has held up like a champ in the role of my "beater" guitar - it's far from the best guitar I own, but it gets way more playing time than any of the others simply because it sits out on a stand right behind my computer desk, and is the one most often picked up for a quick noodling session or when I'm trying to work something out from an online lesson or whatever.

AFAIK, the Bullet line is still the rock-bottom "starter" guitar - I've never owned or played one, so I can't speak to their quality, but IMO the Affinity would be a good starter guitar. Like Karcey said, if you stick with it you'll probably want to upgrade soon no matter which guitar you start off with! :yes:

CirrusPilot    0

My first electric was an Affinity Tele and I've been pleased with it so far. I've got a humming problem that people are telling me is probably a ground wire not connected fully, but other than that, it sounds really good. It had the best feeling neck for me and that's why I chose it. I knew buying it wouldn't be one that I would play forever probably, but it is a great electric to learn on and will serve as a good good "beater" guitar as someone said as well. It will probably be good for playing in situations where it can get knocked over something and where you may not want to take a more expensive guitar. And like karcey said, it most likely won't be your only electric, so don't go all out on your first one. If you're limited on funds, it's better to have several different mid-level electrics with different sounds than just one or two high end guitars...at least in my opinion.

dacrooz02    0

Thanks a lot guys for a warm replies :D Yeah I take the advice to try the guitars myself while at the store. I think by doing so I can make sure which style I suit best. And I think karcey is absolutely right, u dont have to aim for the high end guitar right from the start. so i try to take a look at the good and affordable guitar as my first electric guitar. :D maybe I could also do some upgrades in the future, after i take some classes on that :D Maybe I take gotdeeblues advice, take standard series :D but is fat strat available at the store? I mean, is it factory setting or costum guitar? sorry i'm really a newbie at this kind of stuff.

Dizzers    0

I got a Squier Custom Tele (used) for £70.00. It beats the hell out of some of my more expensive models & is certainly worth a look. I only bought it because it was so cheap & was totally amazed by the quality of the thing.

karcey    42
oh really?? that's really good! looks like i dont have to bother buying expensive guitar then. makes me wanna try squier even more..hehe.

If everybody bought their guitars blindfolded, then we'd have a lot more no-name guitars in the world, but people would be playing better than ever before.

Dizzers    0

The main thing is to go with what feels & sounds right for you. The quality of some "budget" guitars these days is miles ahead of the days when I first started playing & I firmly believe that there is no longer such a thing as a really "bad" guitar. Go with what makes you smile & WANT to play.:smilinguitar: :smilinguitar:

reg1965    0

My tuppence worth is that I have an Affinity Squier Strat and have only been playing for about 7 weeks.

I have had three 121 sessions with a good friend who is a semi pro jazz guitarist. I am now playing Mr Tambourine Man with decent chord changes and have got the basic's of Carly Simon's Anticipation down. He says he is well impressed with the progress I have made in such a short space of time so I can't complain. It probably helps that I can sing and he is perhaps looking for a vocalist who can play rhythm guitar...only joking.

Anyway, as a complete novice, I wouldn't know the diff between the sound of a genuine Gibson or Fender if it hit me in the face right now yet I am extremely happy with my budget axe. As I progress then my opinion will change but for now, while I am learning, I am happy with what I have got.

My philosophy is learn the basics first. Walk before you can run.

ATB

Steve

If everybody bought their guitars blindfolded, then we'd have a lot more no-name guitars in the world, but people would be playing better than ever before.

Amen to that...

Squier gittars have come a long way the past few years...they even stay in tune longer than they used to. Fit and finish ain't bad. Sometimes the fretwork can use a little work, sometimes they're fine. I've mentioned the Squire "Cool Vibe" series in a couple of threads...so I'll mention 'em again. They're hard to beat unless you want to spend some considerable loot. Slick necks, alnico p'ups...fine playin' axes, imo.

dacrooz02    0

Cant believe people still replying to this thread :) but I forgot to respond to this last year haha. thing is I already bought Squier Strat Standard for 99pound off ebay last year, and it is really a bargain!! the neck is good, the sound is good, action is already good. the condition was as new! Before that I have tried some guitars at the pawn shops, some squier strats as well, but they cant beat the Squier strat standard I owned now. Love that guitar :) Thank you very much for everyone who dropped comments and advices, really appreciate it! Now I planned to buy a Les Paul (already made a thread in this) since my friend wants to buy my strat and I'm more into les paul now :)