carol m

How to change volume in Reaper

carol m    64

This is embarrassing but...I can't find out how to change the track volume for different areas in a track using Reaper for Mac. I've scoured the manual so many times, checked pipeline audio, googled, searched Reaper forum, tekker's lessons etc etc - it just doesn't tell you how to do it!

I don't mean the overall vol of the track in the mix using the slider on the left (or in the mixer), but how to increase/decrease the volume of a track along its time line to even out bits that are too loud or too soft.

I'm going just a little bit crazy here :brickwall:

skinnybloke    4

This is for ver 3.06

Click on the "envelope" (env) tool Carol. It's between "io" and "fx" on the control.

reapenv.jpg

Click on volume...

reapenv2.jpg

This will bring up an automation track under your audio track. Right click on the automation track...to create a new point (at the point you want to change the volume),

reappoint.jpg

Left click on the line... and hold the button down to adjust volume up or down.

reapvolup.jpg

Right click again to insert another point...change vol again.

reapvoldown.jpg

If you left click on a point, you drag it left or right to fine tune.

carol m    64

I think the Mac Reaper is more or less the same. You've really saved my sanity, skinny - why the whatever didn't they say that somewhere in the manual, or anywhere! It's not exactly intuitive.

I searched the manual endlessly with all sorts of variations on 'volume......' and came up with nothing. All sorts of fx chain grouping vols or multiple fx banding vols etc etc - none of which I understood - or else the blindingly obvious 'slide the track volume slider to the right'. :reallymad:

I need a cup of cocoa and a good lie down. Tomorrow is another day.

BTW what's an envelope, I've never understood what anyone means by that?

Tekker    1
...why the whatever didn't they say that somewhere in the manual, or anywhere! It's not exactly intuitive.

Try searching for volume automation (or just automation) and there should be some more info on it.

BTW what's an envelope, I've never understood what anyone means by that?

The envelope is the line that appears on top of the waveform that you use to change the volume levels.

There are other types of automation also, like panning automation and also effects automation where you can change the parameters of your effects over time.

-tkr

carol m    64
Try searching for volume automation (or just automation) and there should be some more info on it.

-tkr

Well, surprisingly I didn't search or look for 'volume automation' - I wanted to be able to adjust it myself, not have it automatically set and beyond my control - that is the meaning anyone who's not a recording engineer would expect the term 'volume automation' to mean.

Thanks Tekker - and skinny again - for the info. I'll try it out tonight.

Tekker    1
Well, surprisingly I didn't search or look for 'volume automation' - I wanted to be able to adjust it myself, not have it automatically set and beyond my control - that is the meaning anyone who's not a recording engineer would expect the term 'volume automation' to mean.

LOL! Yeah, it's certainly not the most intuitive thing to look for unless you are already familiar with it... In which case you probably don't need to look it up. :D

Good luck! :)

-tkr