- - - - -

Are scales necessary to learn???

25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rubendiaz

• Active Members
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

It is true that blues players use also the pentatonic scale from other intervals besides the root of the chord?...for example say for Am use B pentatonic scale (notes B,D,E,F#,A)over Am

or say E pentatonic (notes E,G,A,B,D)over Am

Thanks for your kind attention and fantastic guitar forum!

Regards
Ruben Diaz

#22 OFFLINE   wkriski

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 24-September 08

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

I don't really like to think about scales per se, so I play in the key of the song. So for both major and minor keys I use the relative major key in 5 CAGED shapes across the neck (which are transposable).

To answer your second question, pentatonics are a subset of the major scale. So for a song in the key of C, you can play C major pentatonic, D minor pentatonic, E minor pentatonic and A minor pentatonic if you want - but these are just a subset of the notes from C major.

This system can also be used when chords are modified to go out of key

Hope that helps.
Will Kriski
Online Guitar Coaching

#23 OFFLINE   rubendiaz

• Active Members
  • 77 posts
  • Joined 15-November 09

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:51 AM

Thanks Mr Will

is very useful this info

best regards

Ruben

#24 OFFLINE   Linsolv

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 10-November 09

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

I don't mean to be stepping on anyone's toes, but I've been playing around 7 months myself; I learned the minor pentatonic (Only 3 of the positions until recently; 1, 2, and 5 cause it was easy) and moved on to other things.

Past couple weeks, I've been playing around with scales, and I find that knowledge of the pentatonic minor helps a good deal.

Usually when I'm improvising, I just sit on one of the positions. If I need to go higher, I move up a position. It seems like it's easy for me, personally.

YMMV, though.

#25 OFFLINE   lorsban

• Active Members
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

Linsolv said:

I don't mean to be stepping on anyone's toes, but I've been playing around 7 months myself; I learned the minor pentatonic (Only 3 of the positions until recently; 1, 2, and 5 cause it was easy) and moved on to other things.

Past couple weeks, I've been playing around with scales, and I find that knowledge of the pentatonic minor helps a good deal.

Usually when I'm improvising, I just sit on one of the positions. If I need to go higher, I move up a position. It seems like it's easy for me, personally.

YMMV, though.

Well, if you know minor pentatonic, then you know major pentatonic as well since they're all the same shapes, simply shifted around.

#26 OFFLINE   Chaotic Kittie

• Active Members
  • 804 posts
  • Joined 29-April 06

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Just a sidenote, that I came to think of reading this thread...

I used to have guitar lessons in school, since I studied music, and part of the guitar courses were improvising... However, they switched teachers rather a lot, and for quite some time I had this extremely structured by-the-book kind of guy.. He was nice, but way too structured... Kept telling me to use this and that scale when improvising, I said "I don't do that" and explained how I preferred to do it, but he kept nagging about those scales.
During the last term of the course I got another teacher, who liked my improvising and was impressed with the "follow the chord" approach I had adopted (thank you, Kirk!), appreciating the freedom it gave me in my playing.

But when it was time for the teachers to set our grades, both my guitar teachers talked to both each other and to me about what grade I should have. The new one felt I deserved the highest, but the other one argued to lower my grade because I COULDN'T IMPROVISE BY SCALES. I got kind of pissed about it, and went to his office and argued my case, and I convinced him not to lower my grade just for that. So I got the highest eventually. ^^

But he still feels that I should have been lowered, just because I wouldn't improvise using his scales. :P

...sorry for thread snatching. ^^
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users