- - - - -

Steve Vai's 30 hour a day guitar workout

3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PepticDust

• Active Members
  • 313 posts
  • Joined 22-March 07

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Guitar Legends magazine reprinted Steve Vai's 30 hour workout this month. It's basically what Vai used to become a guitar virtuoso. It's a 10 hour workout repeated 3 times throughout the day. I can wrap my head around a 30 hour guitar workout in a 24 hour day but since the excerises are only 10 hours I'm going to pose my question assuming it takes ten hours.

The excerises vary but from what I can remember off the top of my head there were:

Fingering exercises - playing 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 on each string
Angular exercises - similar to above but you move down a string with each pick
Legato exercises
Scales
Songwriting
Jamming

I'm sure these do work as they are very similar to exercises my guitar teacher showed me but I wonder if 10 hours is over doing it. It's a workout I'd have to call in sick to do. What would be a more reasonable time to perform these exercises daily?
We're not gonna listen to you, because we are open minded.

#2 OFFLINE   scotty_b

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 2,450 posts
  • Joined 22-January 06

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

To attain the level of mastery that Steve has, that level of commitment is required.
The cost of becoming a great player is your time. I am in no way suggetsing that I am a great player, but at times in my life I have put in 10-12 hours a day for months at a time on the instrument. To do so meant giving up other things, but I thought that was worth it.
There is no definitive answer as to how much time you need to put into the instrument; that can only be determined by what you wish to achieve with the guitar, and what you are willing to give up so that you can do so.

#3 OFFLINE   rnr

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 48 posts
  • Joined 11-June 08

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:40 PM

I found this recommendation awhile back by a teaching pro.
For a hobby or casual player practice 2 hours daily.
For someone who intends to be a pro or semi pro 3-5 hrs a day.
Even 3-5 hours a day is alot of time.

#4 OFFLINE   lorsban

• Active Members
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 05-August 08

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:14 AM

Well, 30 hours of guitar practice may sound like overkill but you definitely hear it especially with Vai's playing. He plays each and every note with a TON of conviction, power and precision.

But, that's because of the level and type of music he plays. He has to be on top of his game every second. He has to keep exploring new ways of playing in order to keep his music sounding fresh.

Most other guitarists don't necessarily have to do that. What they do is have a warm-up routine followed by practicing their gig's tunes.

I on the other hand, only practice just those parts that are in my head which are difficult to execute for my own songs. So, I could be practicing chord transitions, arpeggio's, pull offs, quadruplets etc...I don't see the reason of practicing everything and only using some of them at any given time. Then again, I don't gig, so...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users