dakshinvijay

How to start ......

dear guys

I am a child and filtered idiot in recording techniques, studio rigs and pics. Due to lack of time and not having sufficient money I am starting this new thread to learn about recording.

Up to now I kept my mic above the keyboard speakers and recording my ideas as tracks in reaper programme in my PC.

Now, I am going to learn MIDI recording in this thread with all your blessings.

Start

I am connecting the midi cable in and out from my keyboard to my PC USB port.

1. What windows will open?

2. What questions will be asked?

3. What I have to answer or opt?

To me, the most important and best investment is a decent sound card (audio interface). They don't have to be super expensive, but they can be. The computer sound cards are designed for gaming and can't handle the multiplexing of making music. A good sound card will get rid of all your latency issues.

I use the PreSonus Firebox, but it is about $350 Canadian, but you can get a decent one for around $100. The Firebox uses firewire connection, so it is a little more expensive. If getting access to the computer is not an issue for you a PCI card is the best for latency and sometimes cheaper.

Here's an overview that a friend from another forum did.

Audio Card Advice - Beagle Sound Productions

Hope this helps. Something to consider anyway. If you are recording audio, I would say the microphone is the next important equipment to have. You can get some great condensor mics for a very reasonable price, but you need phantom power which most sound cards (audio interfaces) have.

Good luck,

Annette

When connecting a MIDI interface on a PC it may need drivers installed on the machine. Some will automatically install.

It is important to ensure that the cables are connected correctly.

MIDI out from the keyboard goes to MIDI in on the interface.

A lot of people get confused with that one.

dear guys

I am a child and filtered idiot in recording techniques, studio rigs and pics. Due to lack of time and not having sufficient money I am starting this new thread to learn about recording.

Up to now I kept my mic above the keyboard speakers and recording my ideas as tracks in reaper programme in my PC.

Now, I am going to learn MIDI recording in this thread with all your blessings.

Start

I am connecting the midi cable in and out from my keyboard to my PC USB port.

1. What windows will open?

2. What questions will be asked?

3. What I have to answer or opt?

Hi dakshinvijay--

There's a simple MIDI connection to a PC and then there's a more elaborate one. It's all very confusing, but these days many keyboard makers are making it simple (thank you!! 'cause I don't understand about full MIDI capability yet) for USB connections.

What keyboard do you have? For a simple USB connection, it sounds like you have it connected ok, but this depends: does the cable you are using have USB connection on both ends? In many recording software programs there isn't any other tweaking necessary (but before it all can work, you have to install the software first [no USB connection], then the hardware [plug in the USB connection], let the PC find the hardware and follow the 'Found New Hardware' instructions).

The bottom line is that if you haven't done any of the above, then disconnect the keyboard. And remove any associated drivers and programs you may have already installed for it. Start over.

This is all I use MIDI for at the moment. In other words, I just use my Axiom49 as a USB controller. With this connection, you can either play the keyboard depending on setting up your recording software correctly, or you can write MIDI notes in your software and have the keyboard play that back with a voice set-up.

I'll bet Tekker can help you out with MIDI. Check out some of his recording lessons.

Steve