hb

Audacity question

hb    0

If anyone's real familiar with audacity, I would appreciate a little help. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I know that if you make a recording on top of a track that you can adjust the volume of one or both tracks to get one track to stand out a little more, but can you adjust the volume of a track in one portion of the song and then adjust the volume on the same track to another level in the song? i.e. making your playing louder at the start of the song and then reducing the volume of your playing at a later part of the song. I have tried a few things but so far can't seem to make it happen.

thanks in advance,

hb

skinnybloke    4

Use the envelope tool hb, it's one of the icons at the top of the screen.

Click on the envelope tool then click on the track where you want the volume to change, that will put a point in the track. Click on the point and adjust the volume to suit, you'll need a few points.

hb    0
Use the envelope tool hb, it's one of the icons at the top of the screen.

Click on the envelope tool then click on the track where you want the volume to change, that will put a point in the track. Click on the point and adjust the volume to suit, you'll need a few points.

Thanks,...I'll try that, but what do you mean when you say, "you'll need a few points" ?

Thanks for this guys, in adobe auditions you can highlight a section then right click and adjust the vol for just that part, but this is cool, I've always wondered what 'envelope' was, Thanks Neil great lil lesson :winkthumb:

hb    0

THANKS!....that's great! A pic is worth a thousand words....especially when typing them! I could have spent a month searching for this answer, but somehow, I knew that this site would come through for me.

hb

skinnybloke    4
I've always wondered what 'envelope' was, Thanks Neil great lil lesson :winkthumb:

Kenny,you can also use envelopes for panning and fx in Reaper, I imagine Auditions would be the same.

Tekker    1

If you want to be able to look up more stuff on this, the term to search for is "automation". For volume it is "volume automation" and as skinnybloke mentioned, you also have effects automation, panning automation, etc.

-tkr

Tks for sharing. I've always wondered how to do this on Audacity (being one of the many reasons why I switched to a different recording s/ware)

I still do use Audacity ocassionally for editing. Apart from that, its always on REAPER.