Tekker

Developing Free Music Software - Volunteers Wanted!

Tekker,

Congrats from me too. Did a wonderful job with this and deserve your just rewards. I glad you were able to recover some of your files which looked rather dismal at the time.

Super job on a very useful project. :clap: :clap: :clap:

eddie:yes:

Loads up each time as well, even on a Mac.

That's amazing! The last time I looked there was only the guitar and some chords, and now look what happened! That is very, very coool.

I have no idea how you did this, but it's very impressive.

Thanks Carol. Most of the change was actually my mom's doing as she did most of the work on the graphics. The actual features didn't really change from the previous version (Test v1.4). I did fix a lot of the bugs in the MIDI playback features but all of those features were in the previous version (just not fully functional yet lol).

My part in the new interface was mainly in changing the code to place the new graphics because they were different sizes and arranged a little differently than the previous versions. I helped a little with the graphics and ideas for the layout, but my mom did most of the Photoshop magic. And I agree, I have no idea how she did it either. :D The buttons pressing in/out was all in the graphics and she also made the marble looking background by hand with the spray tool in Photoshop... When I first saw it I thought it was an image she found online somewhere.

What's next - apart from a well deserved holiday?

I've still got a few more ideas I'm going to be putting into the progression generator. The big one that is going to take me a while to figure out (I've already tried looking into it and didn't get far lol) is how to export the progression as a midi file that you can load into another program (like Reaper) to modify it and record more instruments.

I also want to make a display that will show the current chord being played along with the scale degrees and the notes that make up the chord.

Another (smaller) feature I wanted to add before the presentation (but ran out of time for) was to have some quick change buttons for common instrument sounds. Since I included all 128 general MIDI sounds it takes a while to find a sound in the list, so I wanted to have a few common instruments available for fast access.

...So there's still lots to do on the progression generator.

The next program I want to make is a metronome. I have some ideas I haven't seen in a metronome yet, such as an option to change tempo after a certain number of measures. YMetronome can be set to change tempo after a certain amount of time (minutes/seconds), but I think it makes more sense to change at the start of a measure instead of at a time because you may be right in the middle of a exercise when the tempo changes.

Also I'm open to suggestions for new music applications. Keeping in mind, that my programming skills are still very limited, so I won't be developing the next Guitar Pro or Reaper just yet. :D

Tekker,

Congrats from me too. Did a wonderful job with this and deserve your just rewards. I glad you were able to recover some of your files which looked rather dismal at the time.

Super job on a very useful project. :clap: :clap: :clap:

eddie:yes:

Loads up each time as well, even on a Mac.

Awesome, thanks Eddie! I'm glad it finally started working for you Mac folks. :winkthumb: I wonder if the problem could have been fixed on Mac's end as I know there was a compatibility issue with the latest version of Java and Mac... But even when I tried compiling with an old version of Java (that I thought Mac did support) it still didn't fix it. I guess I may never what happened but I suppose I don't need to worry about it as long as it doesn't break in the future. ;)

Thanks again,

-tkr

Interesting Tekker - when I was trying it out I was thinking it would be great if you could record a progression you liked and keep it for practicing or experimenting with for making a tune etc but I thought I'd ask if you had more plans before suggesting it.

If you could export the midi you would be able to do that wouldn't you?

Tekker--

Congrats on a great looking project and a successful presentation! I opened 2.0 here at work, but I don't get any audio...not sure why, but I'll try it at home and let you know.

Anyway, great looking interface. I have to say I'm somewhat dissapointed that there's no longer a PRS graphic on the gui :-(

All the same, great job!

Steve

Carol,

Yes, if you can export as a MIDI file you can save the progression as a MIDI file on your hard drive. Then you could open that up in another program (like Reaper) and even be able to save the progression inside of a Reaper project along with any changes you make and/or any other instruments you add to it. If I can figure out how to do that, it'll be a HUGE improvement for using it as a song writing tool. :)

solidwalnut,

Yeah, I wanted to get some guitar graphics up in the top left/right corners but didn't get a chance to. I was originally thinking about putting some clip art guitars up there, but now that you mention it that is a shame to not have the PRS guitar... So I think I'll shrink down the PRS image a little bit and put it in the corners instead of the clip art. Feel better now? :D

Also, have you had a chance to try it at home yet? If so, does it work there?

Thanks again,

-tkr

...solidwalnut,

Yeah, I wanted to get some guitar graphics up in the top left/right corners but didn't get a chance to. I was originally thinking about putting some clip art guitars up there, but now that you mention it that is a shame to not have the PRS guitar... So I think I'll shrink down the PRS image a little bit and put it in the corners instead of the clip art. Feel better now? :D

Thanks for humoring an old man :D

...Also, have you had a chance to try it at home yet? If so, does it work there?

Nope! I get the dreaded Red X!

(Edit)...but the next day at work, I get the program. Makes me wonder about my Java at home...

Congratulations on completing this for your Capstone Project and on your presentation Tekker, excellent work, it's really changed since I last saw it, kudos to you, very cool and a lot of fun.:winkthumb:

Nope! I get the dreaded Red X!

(Edit)...but the next day at work, I get the program. Makes me wonder about my Java at home...

Try right-clicking on the box with the red X, open the Java console, and clear the classloader cache (press the "X" key). You may also need to close and reopen the browser.

Congratulations on completing this for your Capstone Project and on your presentation Tekker, excellent work, it's really changed since I last saw it, kudos to you, very cool and a lot of fun.:winkthumb:

Thanks starsailor! Yep, I've made a few modifications to it since floating buttons on the guitar background. lol And I'm still working on it... I've added 6 instrument quick change buttons and fixed some more midi bugs. I also added some "grayed out" buttons at the top when switching modes (instead of having the top buttons disappear completely) and I think it looks a lot better. As soon as I get the PRS guitar back into the background image I'll upload the latest version. :D

AND.... here's the big one.... I figured out how to export the progression as a MIDI file!!! :yeahhh: I even loaded it into Samplitude (my recording program) and was able to change the notes and everything. I got this working in a small test program, so now I just need to add it into my main program. I'm very excited about this!

-tkr

Try right-clicking on the box with the red X, open the Java console, and clear the classloader cache (press the "X" key). You may also need to close and reopen the browser...

No go, Tekker. I don't see how to open the Java console by right clicking. And I wouldn't know how to open the Java console otherwise. If you have any other thoughts how to go about that or anything else to try, let me know.

Bummer, I'd love to see it in action at home where I can spend some quality time with it.

Steve

No go, Tekker. I don't see how to open the Java console by right clicking. And I wouldn't know how to open the Java console otherwise. If you have any other thoughts how to go about that or anything else to try, let me know.

The console should be an option in the right-click menu. But it doesn't always show up as an option.

Do you have Java installed on your home computer? If so, maybe try uninstalling it and re-installing it again.

-tkr

The console should be an option in the right-click menu. But it doesn't always show up as an option.

Do you have Java installed on your home computer? If so, maybe try uninstalling it and re-installing it again.

-tkr

I downloaded and installed the latest Java, but maybe I should try to uninstall first and then d'l. I'll let you know.

Steve

hi, i'll totally do this...and since you said to mention any other ideas we have, music writing software? please? :)

oh and where can i download the random chord progression software?